Study: spinocerebellar degeneration in Brittanys

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

PennsylvaniaBritts
Puppy Kindergarten Grad
Puppy Kindergarten Grad

Study: spinocerebellar degeneration in Brittanys

Post by PennsylvaniaBritts »

Apparently, spinocerebellar degeneration has been identified as genetic in Brittanys, and can begin between the ages of 7 and 14. Has anyone known an older Brittany with this condition? Here is the medical study of eight Brittanys with the disease, which I've been reading and trying to decode this afternoon... any help in decoding the symptoms would be great, too.

http://www.springerlink.com/content/e4v ... lltext.pdf

Buddy Hudson & Dilsey

janet909
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Re: Study: spinocerebellar degeneration in Brittanys

Post by janet909 »

It appears that you can't log into the article unless you are affiliated with an institution?? I'll google it though....never heard of it.

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Post by Barb Wright »

You know, you can drive yourself nuts trying to guess at a diagnosis when the symptoms fit quite a few problems. For example, there is quite a bit about it that sounds like Vestibular disease, and quite a few other diseases as well. I think you should wait until the vet comes up with a diagnosis. If that diagnosis is "idiopathic"....which means they don't have a clue what it is......then you could start researching symptoms and trying to narrow it down. But it's a hard road to travel with the symptoms you describe...just too many things it could be :cry: All you can really do is keep plugging away with lab work to try to at least eliminate what it is not.

With the genetic situation, if you know the breeder of your dog you could see if they have any info that they will divulge....otherwise, try to trust in the professionals to at least narrow down the possibilities. Those are my thoughts anyway....hope you can get a handle on this, sounds quite sad :cry: Keep us in the loop on what you find out.
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13

PennsylvaniaBritts
Puppy Kindergarten Grad
Puppy Kindergarten Grad

Post by PennsylvaniaBritts »

Thanks so much for your reply. I think you're exactly right, that my husband and I need to be patient and keep observing Dilsey's symptoms, trying not to jump to conclusions... in our desire to be certain of a diagnosis as soon as possible,we could easily be led to the wrong conclusion (a very frightening disease!), worrying ourselves for nothing...

If we do have a diagnosis of the spinocerebellar degeneration, I'll post again here.

Thanks, too, for interpreting the 'saluting' symptom, which I wasn't sure how to picture. Dilsey does often hold up one paw (the left) as she's trembling, and she always bumps things on her left side, so I imagined maybe the left paw raising was a kind of salute--trying again to interpret symptoms with terms I hardly know! Anyway, it's a big help to know what the article is describing there. And she isn't doing that!

Thank you again! You've all been such a help and comfort. I really appreciate it, and will update if I have anything useful or clear to add.

Buddy Hudson & Dilsey