success with fish oil and glucosamine chondroitin

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Tglaub
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

success with fish oil and glucosamine chondroitin

Post by Tglaub »

I took Riley our 6 year old English Springer into the vet this morning. He has a very stiff back end hip area. We were told he has hip dysplasia and you can tell that after playing he is stiff and sore.
We adopted this little boy from a neglectful owner a little over a year ago. He has cronic ear infections which are kept under control by feeding him duck protein food, cleaning his ears regularly. He also has allergies which seem to be well controlled by otc antihistimines. The vet suggested adding glucosamine and fish oil to his diet. I purchased some today and will start with his evening meal. Has anyone has success with this? I don't know how long to try it to see results.

janet909
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Re: success with fish oil and glucosamine chondroitin

Post by janet909 »

I don't know about the fish oil for hip stiffness but our 13 year old blue heeler,Chena, has horrific arthritis. We started her on glucosamine twice a day about 5 years ago. While her arthitis has become more severe since July, we have kept her on the glucosamine all this time because we really felt like it helped. She continued to go on long walks until just a month or so ago and is now on ultram and prednisone due to a flair up that really set her back. Her decline was inevitable but I do think the glucosamine kept her going for quite some time.

janet909
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by janet909 »

I forgot to mention....any glucosamine tablet should also have chondroitin sulphate also. Most tablets have both but not all.

kat
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by kat »

Our old guy, George, didn't really suffer from joint problems, but he did seem to get a bit stiff as he got older. We put him on the Gluco/chond supplements and felt like it made a difference. The ortho vet said he thinks any dog over the age of 7 should take it. And, btw, I just gave him the same generic Costco ones I take, just smaller doses.
My mom is a Kat - How cool is that?

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Post by Barb Wright »

Here is a great web site to visit to learn just about everything on the subject of arthritis and joint problems in dogs....follow all the links and you will have an excellent briefing on the subject:

http://www.dogaware.com/arthritis.html

And here's a couple articles about joint problems that you might find interesting....

http://www.b-naturals.com/newsletter/ar ... -problems/
http://www.b-naturals.com/newsletter/joint-problems/

The only actual personal experience I have had with Glucosamine/Chondroitin supplements is my DH has taken it for a bad shoulder and knees and had good results with it :) I took Perna (a New Zealand Green Lipped Mussel) supplement for my ACL and torn miniscus and it saved me from surgery :)
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13

adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by adele »

Before I knew what was wrong with Lola I did some research on Glucosamine/Chondroitin. There are a surprising number of dogs out there that were diagnosed with arthritis and/or hip dysplasia at very young ages and they led active lives well into their teen years. The owners were all singing the praises of Glocosamine/Chondroitin. Tests have shown the effectiveness of glocosamine but as far as I can tell, the jury is still out on chondroitin. Another thing that can help is vitamin C but I wouldn't give that without discussing with a vet nutritionist first. And of course, ya gotta keep their weight down. It can take awhile to see any benefit, at least a month, probably more. Lola is on it now because of her knees. I intend to continue to give it to her because its supposed to help and the one thing everybody can agree on is that it certainly won't hurt.

Tglaub
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Post by Tglaub »

I bought a large container of the wal mart brand. I gave each boy a tablet last night. Age 6,10,14. The 10 year old spit it out and hid it. The other two gulped it down with food no questions asked. When we first got Riley he was at least 10-15lbs overweight but with food portions, better quality food and exercise he dropped it. He is now a good weight. He lives to play fetch. So exercise is easy with him. We just want to keep him comfortable