New Food

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

rtropeano
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Re: New Food

Post by rtropeano »

My vet also recommended Hills Z/D - which is the allergen free formula. I used the cat version, for a bit, because I was naive, and thought my cat had food allergies and didn't know what else to use and heck the vet recommended it, right???? Yikes, that food is horrible, barely any nutritional value at all.

Hills should be ashamed of themselves and so should the vets who recommend it.

Rose
Last edited by rtropeano on Tue May 19, 2009 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"I didn't do nothing, Mama!"
Daisy Mae, CGC, TDI, CTL1-F

Lisa

Post by Lisa »

rtropeano wrote:My vet also recommended Hills Z/D - which is the allergen free formula. I used the cat version,mfor a bit, because I was naive, and thought my cat had food allergies and didn't know what else to use and heck the vet recommended it, right???? Yikes, that food is horrible, barely any nutritional value at all.
Actually, the Z/D is one of the very few foods that I'd ever consider feeding a pet...and only if I suspected a food allergy, and only for the purposes of an elimination diet. Reason for this is that the ingredients have been processed and broken down to the point that it's basically an allergy neutral food. So, if you're dealing with an unknown food allergy and want to do a true food trial, the Z/D is a good base food for the trial. Then, you can add in unique protein or grain sources and try to determine which foods are safe and which aren't. Once you've found safe foods, you can take the pet off the Z/D and find a high quality food with appropriate ingredients. Yeah, the nutrition quality of Z/D is low, but for a limited time and for a specific purpose, it does have a use.

rtropeano
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by rtropeano »

Yes, I agree with you Lisa, but I was just shocked when I figured out that nutrionally it wasn't that good.

"I didn't do nothing, Mama!"
Daisy Mae, CGC, TDI, CTL1-F

Annabelle
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by Annabelle »

Actually I do use the Hills T/d for my older dog. When we got her, her teeth were pretty bad and needed a dental cleaning and having 10 teeth pulled.
And 3 month after the cleaning she was getting black lines of build up along her gums even with feeding her Orijen. The Hills TD does slow down the tartar buildup. But I still have to scrape and brush.

I have tried the raw bones a few times and she loves them, but her son gets his knickers in a knot and can't figure out the bone or what he is supposed to do with it. Maybe I will try it again now that it is summer :D