Scuff is throwing up .

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Scuff is throwing up .

Post by Dave »

Poor little bud :( . He started yesterday and Lord knows what he might have eaten out in the yard . I saw him after ants and was eating them , plus he might have chewed up some pine cones :? .

We didn't feed him today and he is drinking water and isn't running a temp . I did try some plain cooked chicken tonight and later gave him some bread about a half slice . Well he arfed that up and now he's curled up on the couch sleeping . He did get a drink of water before he went to sleep .

Anyone have ideas ? I can search on here , but will end up chasing my tail . I remember something about giving them Brown rice and plain Chicken ? Oh and I will try to get some Pepto in him . 8) Thanks Dave
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Re: Scuff is throwing up .

Post by Barb Wright »

No clue :cry: but wouldn't feed anything. Just let the stomach and digestive system rest, though he should keep drinking water, flavored even to entice him. He won't starve in just a couple days. Any diarrhea yet???
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13

Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Dave »

He doesn't have Diarrhea that I've seen . I'll take him to the vet if he doesn't come around tomorrow . His energy level is good . He puked Yellow bile awhile ago .
Thanks Barb .
Dave
-Will Rogers

Jessica
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Post by Jessica »

Eli had some of this a few weeks ago. It was no use trying to feed him at all, he'd just puke it up later. But I panicked and took him into the vet for tests and barium, etc. It sounds like he just got into something nasty like Eli did and needs a couple of days to sleep it off :wink:
Image Image
Eli: rescued 12/20/07........Lily: rescued 05/16/09

"If you don't own a dog, at least one, there is not necessarily anything wrong with you, but there may be something wrong with your life."
~Roger Caras

Jotaff
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Post by Jotaff »

Sending good thoughts for a speedy recovery. I hate it when my animals are sick - rather be sick myself. Jan

Canned Ice
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Canned Ice »

Dave, whenever garbage gut is up to his old tricks, I usually fast him for 12-24 hours. Then I boil chicken and white rice together and give him maybe 1/2 cup. If he keeps it down for about 4 hours, he gets another 1/2 cup and so on gradually increasing the amount. Once things are moving through normally I wean him back to dog food.
Buckley - I own this mountain.

Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Dave »

Canned Ice wrote:Dave, whenever garbage gut is up to his old tricks, I usually fast him for 12-24 hours. Then I boil chicken and white rice together and give him maybe 1/2 cup. If he keeps it down for about 4 hours, he gets another 1/2 cup and so on gradually increasing the amount. Once things are moving through normally I wean him back to dog food.
Thanks Candice . I'll do that with Scuff . I was looking at his medical records and he has been to the vet a few times for eating stupid things :roll: :? Dave
-Will Rogers

kat
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by kat »

Is he doing better yet?
My mom is a Kat - How cool is that?

Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Dave »

I followed Barb and Candice's reccomendations and fasted him a day then gave him rice and boiled chicken . He kept it down so far and is really hungry . I'm cooking up about 5 pounds of Venison burger tonight and will slowly add it with his Kibble tomorrow . He's only 36 lbs. and I'd like him at 40 or so . Thanks for asking . 8) Dave
-Will Rogers

Jotaff
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Post by Jotaff »

Sure have been thinking about Scuff and hope he's doing better. Let us know. Only 36 lbs, that's less than Holly, my goodness. Jan

Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Dave »

Jotaff wrote:Sure have been thinking about Scuff and hope he's doing better. Let us know. Only 36 lbs, that's less than Holly, my goodness. Jan
Thanks Jan and everyone for the concern and good thoughts . :)

He is a small guy , I'm sure Holly is bigger than him . I'm worming him and will work on getting him to optimum weight . He's all muscle with almost no reserve . He'd make a good brother for Holly :wink: :lol: Dave
-Will Rogers

Canned Ice
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Canned Ice »

Glad the old chicken and rice treatment is working. It's so hard to not give in and feed them more when they're hungry but I've learned my lesson. If you feed a sick pups too much too soon it just all comes back up or out the other end. I'm sure Scuff will put on some weight. Heck, I can send you my mom; she has managed to put some weight on Buckaroo lately. He's sooooo good at the "look at how hungry and miserable I am" expression and gets himself so many extra treats.
Buckley - I own this mountain.

Jotaff
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Post by Jotaff »

Dave, you know, I thought about that, a brother for Holly, when you sent me Scruff's picture.

Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Dave »

Jan ,
Scruff is a good boy . He is neutered of course but wasn't until I got him . He wasn't a problem before though . He is young enough to play with a dog that will play back and not be a crab like Levi . Levi is younger by almost a year , but won't play with him :( . Anyway if you wanted him just say the word . I wish all my fosters were this easy although I've had a good year starting with Holly .

Oh yeah he isn't perfect . He needs a secure yard as he also needs a job and some one wanting to do stuff with him . 8) Dave
-Will Rogers

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

Wouldn't Holly be surprised to come home from camp and find a brother waiting for her??!!??
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla