Tell me I'm doing the right thing

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Re: Tell me I'm doing the right thing

Post by adele »

Okay, for those of you interested.... we are going ahead with the operation. I went to the vet again (that vet must think I'm crazy) and expressed my concerns again... the vet says the difference in muscle mass between her left and right leg is one inch (meaning Lola is relying mainly on her already repaired right leg), she definitely gets the drawer pull effect (the top and bottom of the knee sliding against each other instead of staying together) in the left knee. She said she waited on her own dog's leg and when she opened the knee the arthritis was already bad and she regretted waiting... She said Lola may never be 100% again and that when she is elderly she may have trouble but the vet still thinks this is the best option. On the other hand, she also said we could see great improvement with much less pain for Lola. So, here I sit in front of my computer not really getting any work done worrying about my girl. There is no turning back now.

rtropeano
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by rtropeano »

Best of luck to Lola! I'm sure the operation will work out well.
Rose

"I didn't do nothing, Mama!"
Daisy Mae, CGC, TDI, CTL1-F

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

GREAT decision!! You know you need to have it repaired at some point and it seems there seem to more reasons to have it done sooner rather than later. And don't worry about Lola when she gets older ... Annie was 9 and almost 12 with her 2 surgeries and was perfectly fine until she died at age 15. As we all know ... not much can keep them down!!

When is the surgery scheduled for?
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla

AuntieMom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by AuntieMom »

Adele, you are not crazy. Just a cautious dog-mom who is worrying. But try not to anyway. :P
Trapper, CharLee & Kallie

kat
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by kat »

Adele, you are such a good mom, you take such good care of Lola, that's the good and bad of it. She is lucky to have a mom who worries and agonizes over taking the best care of her, even though it's so hard on you. You've done all the research, looked at it from every angle, you've decided what you feel is the best for her so let me say "You are doing the right thing". You know we'll all be here pulling for her and keeping you both in our thoughts waiting to hear how it goes. Is the surgery scheduled yet? Hang in there.....
My mom is a Kat - How cool is that?

Ron
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by Ron »

kat wrote:Adele, you are such a good mom, you take such good care of Lola, that's the good and bad of it. She is lucky to have a mom who worries and agonizes over taking the best care of her, even though it's so hard on you. You've done all the research, looked at it from every angle, you've decided what you feel is the best for her so let me say "You are doing the right thing". You know we'll all be here pulling for her and keeping you both in our thoughts waiting to hear how it goes. Is the surgery scheduled yet? Hang in there.....

You are doing the right thing for her, GOOD LUCK

adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by adele »

The surgery was yesterday. I haven't seen Lola yet, will be able to pick her up in an hour. The vet called yesterday afternoon to tell me that everything went well. Then she called me at about 9:30 last night to tell me that Lola was already touching her toe to the ground and the vet was so pleased and excited she wanted to tell me. :D There is nothing to do now but get on with the re-hab. I sure hope she's gonna be better than she was before. Thanks for your support guys.

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Post by Barb Wright »

:D :D Good news 8) Onward and upward :D
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13

janet909
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by janet909 »

YOu did such a GREAT job with her rehab last time that I know you'll do fabulous again. I know it's A LOT of work and time but you love Lola so much that it will be a labor of that love. Lola is soooo lucky to have you as her mom. Please let us know how she's doing.....I know you are soooo anxious to see her. Our thoughts are with her !!! :D

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

Excellent news!!! She'll sure be happy to see you! :)
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla

Mike S.
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by Mike S. »

Wow - great news. Heres to a swift rehab...
Josh (rescued Oct 07), Rosie (rescued Nov 03), and Haley (rescued Oct 07)

AuntieMom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by AuntieMom »

It was thoughtful of the vet to call you unexpectedly with the news about Lola touching her toe to the ground. I know you have some work ahead but hope it all goes well. Be sure to bake Lola some liver. :D
Trapper, CharLee & Kallie

kat
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by kat »

I'm SO glad she came through so well! Yay for her! Keep us posted on the rehab
My mom is a Kat - How cool is that?

Canned Ice
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Canned Ice »

Is Lola home yet?
Buckley - I own this mountain.

adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by adele »

Hmmm. I thought I posted a picture of her home. I wonder if I put it in the wrong thread :oops: Sorry if I did that. Here she is http://yfrog.com/eulolahomep

Yes she's home. She's doing too great. The pamphlet that tells me what to do during the first week is all about encouraging the dog to touch her toe to the ground. Here's Lola.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeBaplttKMQ
Last edited by adele on Sun May 09, 2010 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.