Invoke the Dog Goddess, please

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Re: Invoke the Dog Goddess, please

Post by Cindy »

Well, could be better, could be worse so we'll all just continue with the positive thoughts. How about sticking pills in peanut butter? Give him straight peanut butter first (no pills) to trick him!! If worse comes to worse you can just shove them down his throat but that would be my last option.
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla

AuntieMom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by AuntieMom »

Trapper is on meds and we use Pill Pockets. You can get them at Petsmart and Petco but Tractor Supply has a better price.
Trapper, CharLee & Kallie

janet909
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by janet909 »

Ice cream !!! That worked for Chena until she got so sick she didn't even like that. :cry: But for years, those pills slid right down :D

kat
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by kat »

I second the Pill Pockets. I had a foster last summer that was very sick, but except for the smallest pills, nothing worked to get them down him, same thing, he would eat whatever was around/coating the pills and spit the pill out. He would scream like I was trying to kill him when I tried cramming them down his throat (and I have lots of experience with pilling dogs, not like I was new at it!). I tried everything, asked for suggestions, tried all, the Pill Pockets were the only thing that worked. And they worked perfectly - never another problem with them. He thought he was getting treats!
My mom is a Kat - How cool is that?

Muddy Creek Britts
Zinger
Zinger

Post by Muddy Creek Britts »

We use pill pockets at work, and they generally work well. The good thing about pill pockets is that if the dog doesn't take it, you can take out the pill and put it down their throat by hand. If you put it in ice cream, then you have a soggy pill disintegrating and basically useless. Some people bring in cheese for us to wrap their pills in too.
Brian
Muddy Creek Britts
"When a dog runs at you, whistle for him." ~~Henry David Thoreau

MaggieRocks
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by MaggieRocks »

I never had to use pill pockets for the girls (they think EVERYTHING is a treat...including pills!) but I have used them with my cats. And if a cat will take a pill using pill pockets, I figure they should work on ANYBODY!!! :lol:

dmedric
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by dmedric »

I wrap pills in soft slices of american cheese. Max thinks he's getting the best treat and gobbles them right up.

holisticmom
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by holisticmom »

Update: Orion pushed himself too hard on a walk yesterday. He was really sore and had problems with stairs yesterday. He ate pretty well--a good dinner of ground turkey and a couple of bites of banana. He had diarrhea last night adn ralfed up some yellow stuff this morning and wanted to sit quietly in the yard. He was alert, giving the feral cats the evil eye and watching birds.
I was able to get a homeopathic remedy for arthritis and another to settle his tummy.
Your ideas were great and I thank you for them.He is so used to me giving him stuff in p.b., cheese, banana, and sweet potato that it's all viewed with suspicion. I had to resort to the ol' squeeze and stuff method of pilling with the homeopathic remedies that I give him to keep his tummy calm and for his arthritis pain. He goes back on the antibiotics this week. Keep them thar good thoughts coming, please!
The point of [dog guardianship] is to open oneself to becoming partly a dog...Edward Hoagland

holisticmom
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by holisticmom »

Update: Orion's been drinking ok, but is turning up his nose at food. This is scaring me because he can't take the antibiotics without food in his tummy. He's comfortable, apparantely, but needs help getting up and down. Please continue the prayers.
The point of [dog guardianship] is to open oneself to becoming partly a dog...Edward Hoagland

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

Is there some other way to give him antibiotics? Like in liquid form, or a shot? What does the vet suggest?

rtropeano
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by rtropeano »

Sending healing thoughts to you and Orion!

"I didn't do nothing, Mama!"
Daisy Mae, CGC, TDI, CTL1-F

kat
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by kat »

Fran, really, my sick foster last summer was the same way, NOTHING worked, I tried everything and it was only the Pill Pockets that finally worked. And they worked every time. As for food, have you tried baby food meat? That sometimes works for poor appetites..... Orion is, as always, in my prayers and thoughts, I hope you are feeling our good wishes for him and you. Keep us updated
My mom is a Kat - How cool is that?

adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by adele »

How's the old guy today? I hope he's better.
I can't help much with the pill giving. I do like someone on this board suggested a while ago. Put the pill in something tasty and show the dog there are two treats. Then feed him the one with the pill first and follow quickly with the second. Lola is so greedy to get that second treat that she gobbles the first right down. But it won't work if the dog doesn't much feel like eating.

holisticmom
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by holisticmom »

Well...I was able to get some rice down him, and I'm alternating between chicken broth, honey water, and mint and ginger tea, all cold. He's on Pepcid, too. He didn't have any yellow barf yesterday or today, but he had some diarrhea at 2 this morning.
We spoke with an animal communicator yesterday. Orion said thru her that he feels like his stomach is on fire and wants cold things, and that the Pepcid helps somewhat. He also said that the antibiotic started all of this and is convinced that all pills are bad and will hurt him. He's taking a nap right now. I was able to get 1/4 of a Frosty Paws down him yesterday. Will try the baby food trick. The pill tricks are much appreciated. Thanks.

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

I forgot about giving pepcid. When Annie had her heart problems and was on about 5 different medications 4 times/day, the vet also said to give her pepcid because she wasn't eating and was throwing up yellow stuff. The pepcid definitely helped with the upset stomach but getting her to eat was a constant challenge for 8 months. I finally resorted to making extra when I cooked because she always seemed to want what we were having. Sometimes it was seafood, sometimes pasta with garlic and Parmesan - I just never knew what might appeal.