Healthy Weight

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

ragamuffin281
Puppy

Healthy Weight

Post by ragamuffin281 »

Hello everyone...
I know there has probably been a post on this topic before, but I was just wanting some opinions on what weight your brit is? Everything online says a healthy weight is between 30-40 pounds....
Drake tags along with me just about everywhere except work and school and I have had many people ask me why Drake is small??? Drake weighs about 33 pounds, which I know puts him on the smaller end of the spectrum... but I just feel like I get ALOT of comments on how small he is... people even ask me how much I feed him (as if i'm going to starve my dog :roll: )
Just wanting some other people's input and their dog's weight?

Helen E.
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Re: Healthy Weight

Post by Helen E. »

I have one female who only weighs 28 lbs. The rest weigh between 34-37 lbs.

dmedric
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by dmedric »

My male, Max, weighs between 34-35 lbs and is also on the smaller side for a male. He is about 13 years old and has weighed about the same since we adopted him 11 years ago.

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

Our girls weigh in at about 35 lbs each but they are pretty small Brittanys. My vet said Kayla is perfect for her size and Jill could still loose a couple of pounds. When we adopted Jill she weighed 30 lbs and everyone thought she should gain a few. My old dog Annie was very tall and weighed about 42 lbs but she always looked skinny to me. If your dog is healthy and active and the vet isn't concerned then always better to be on the thin side then too heavy.
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla

adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by adele »

Lola is a whopping 40 lbs but friends always tell me she's too skinny. I ignore them, the vet thinks she's just right and like Cindy just said, she's healthy happy and active. My friends don't know what they're talking about. I think people are just so used to seeing overweight dogs that they don't know what a healthy weight looks like anymore.

When you posted the picture of Drake I was thinking of commenting on how nice and trim you keep him. He looks healthy to me. Slender is good for dogs.

MaggieRocks
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by MaggieRocks »

Yep, all depends on the dog. Maggie is now 39lbs, and the vet said her weight is perfect. Emma is only 30lbs, and believe it or not, she looks a little pudgy! She's shorter than Maggie, so she can't carry the weight as well. Each dog is different. If Emma weighed the same as Maggie, she would look like a little brown and white cow!!! :lol:

headtrip_honey
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by headtrip_honey »

Heh, looks like my Britts are the big 'uns here.

Hunter was the closest we had to a "normal" sized Brittany. He weighed 43 lbs, and looked very much like your Drake in his build. He was trim, and thin, but all muscle, so definitely healthy.

Lizzy is 48 lbs (actually about 47-47.5 right now, but she's rebounding off weight loss from an anal gland problem), and our vet says her body condition is "perfect."

Bree weighed about 51 last time we took her in. I think she could stand to lose a pound or two, but we're having a hard time getting her there. She has a thyroid problem, which is why she's a little chunkier. She topped out at 59.5 lbs. :shock: That was before we got her diagnosed.

Jack, our newest addition, weighs a little over 25 lbs right now...and he's 4.5 months old, and actually really wiry for a puppy. Not chubby at all. Our vet thinks he could be a 60 pounder. :shock: :shock:

Our vet says that a lot of "hunting" breeds run heavier than the "standard" nowadays because most aren't actually used in the field. They're built to run run run all day, and when they don't, they carry a little extra weight. It may not be unhealthy, but they're just not running all the fat off like they were bred to.
-Emily
Image Image Image Image
Hunter (RIP 09.16.04-02.28.09), Lizzy, Bree and Jack

enginerd
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Post by enginerd »

Ripley and Chuck are about the same height (22", they looked like giants next to Jill and Kayla), but their builds coudn't be more different (linebacker vs cross-country runner).

Chuck is built like a tank and comes in at a solid 41 lbs of what I have deemed pure musle by the way he can drag us around on a leash or in a game of tug (Ripley now has a bald spot on her chest where she just drops to the floor and lets him drag her around on the carpet instead of just letting go of the toy when she gets tired... sigh). I'd call him ideal in weight, nice tuck at the waist now and you can easily feel his ribs but not see them.

Ripley is lean and leggy and comes in at 36 lbs and when she runs you see every muscle just ripple. She gets 3/4 cup more food each day than Chuck, but that puppy metabolism just burns right through it. I'd like to see her put on another 2 lbs or so, but the more we feed her the more energy she seems to burn off (she literally runs circles around Chuck... sometimes jumping over his back and others sliding under his belly... and yes the white fur really shows the grass stains when she pulls stunts like that).
Carlyn

Chuck and Ripley... we will not be still

adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by adele »

enginerd wrote:Ripley now has a bald spot on her chest where she just drops to the floor and lets him drag her around on the carpet instead of just letting go of the toy when she gets tired... .
:lol: :lol: :lol: We need a video of that!

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Post by Barb Wright »

ragamuffin281 wrote:....I have had many people ask me why Drake is small???
I'm wondering what they mean as "small"....small as compared to what??? Another Brittany would be the only way to come up with a comparison of "small". If they mean thin....well, from the photos that does not seem an accurate description. Anyway, read up here

http://www.placervillevet.com/canine%20 ... dition.htm
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm ... 60&aid=661

about appropriate weights for dogs, then when someone comments on the dog being thin or fat, either way, you can make the points about the CORRECT weight for the particular dog. The Brittany is considered a "medium" size dog, but as you can see from all the comments "medium" comes in various sizes and weights :P :wink:

My Cassie is 36 pounds, I can feel her ribs and backbone without pressing, but there is an ever so slight "cushion" between the skin and bony structure. She has a waist line and tuck-up in the tummy area. The best place to make the feel test is the ribs and backbone as these areas have less muscle mass covering the skeleton. The shoulder blade tips, up near the spine are also a good spot for a feel test, as are the points of the hip bones. You should be able to feel the bones without pressing.

From the two photos where one can actually see Drake he looks to be in fine weight....so a quick answer to comments about his "size" is to say "he is at the right weight for his build".

HTH :D
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13

Lisa

Post by Lisa »

Ya know, it really all depends on the dog, their build, how active they are, and what activities you do with your dog. I get in fosters all the time that I think are heavy, but most people would think are just right. The difference being that I want to see a slim, athletic build on my dogs, so that they can do the things I ask of them (agility).

My own dogs weigh in as follows...
Madi - 31 lbs - 17 inches - she's old, low activity, small build
Britty - 45 lbs - 19 inches - mixed breed - heavier build, heavy chest, lots of coat, low activity
Buster - 38 lbs - 21 inches - my agility dog, solid muscle, high activity, very light build (all leg!).

And, to keep their weights as they are, all are eating the same food, Madi eats about a cup and a quarter, Britty eats a cup and a half, and Buster eats 2 cups.
Image Image RIP Madi
Charm-future agility champ
Britty- RIP March 27, 2014
Buster-CGC, OA, OF, NAJ, APK, APJ, APG, APR, PD

rtropeano
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by rtropeano »

Daisy is a leggy Brit, light build - she's 35.5 lbs., which the vet said is perfect for her. She gets 3/4 cups 2x a day if it's cali natural and 2/3 cups 2x day if I'm feeding EVO because EVO is higher protein.

Daisy likes to participate in agility and bike riding, so like Lisa, I like her slim (unlike her Mama LOL), so there is less pressure on her joints etc.
Rose

"I didn't do nothing, Mama!"
Daisy Mae, CGC, TDI, CTL1-F

holisticmom
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by holisticmom »

Orion's one of the bigger dudes--about 21" at the shoulder, and looks and does best in the 45-50 lb. range
The point of [dog guardianship] is to open oneself to becoming partly a dog...Edward Hoagland