Natural Remedies for Immune System Support

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

dmedric
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Natural Remedies for Immune System Support

Post by dmedric »

Max, my 13+ year old Brittany, has developed what the Vet thinks is an autoimmune condition. He has developed "sores" on his snout/face that have not healed -- tested for a fungal infection, bacterial infection, yeast infection with negative results. I think it is kind of strange that is limited to the snout/face, but it is. The Vet does not want to go the steroid route given his age. Does anyone have recommendations for natural remedies to help boost/balance the immune system?

Donna

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Re: Natural Remedies for Immune System Support

Post by Cindy »

That's very odd. Our old dog got some weird thing from rooting around in the dirt and lost all the fur around her nose. It went from a small spot one day to a much larger spot 24 hours later. If I hadn't taken her to the vet it would have spread all over her snout. Was it anything like that??
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla

dmedric
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by dmedric »

It's really hard to describe. Max had what we thought was a wart on his snout. One day he came from the yard and it looked like he had ripped it off a bit (sometimes he chases chipmunks into the gutter spouts). I cleaned it up and put neosporin on it. Then, all of a sudden, he had additional spots all around his snout and eyes. It's kind of weird -- there is a dark, brown, hard, and crusty substance on the spots (somewhat like a scab, but thicker) -- if I remove the crust, the spots look like open sores and there is a bit of blood. I really thought it was a reaction to something in the yard or fungal. I have to admit that I am scheduling an appointment with another Vet for a second opinion -- I kind of feel like my Vet gave up trying to figure it out. I just don't know why it would only be on the snout/face if it truly was an autoimmune disorder of some sort.

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

Sorry, doesn't sound like the same thing. Very strange - I think a 2nd opinion is a REALLY good idea.
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla

holisticmom
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by holisticmom »

Some herbs that might help: astralagus (immune system modulator), red clover (blood purifier), and milk thistle (helps to clean out the liver very gently). I've used those on Orion. Topically, try dabbing on lavender oil--great antiseptic. Smells good, too. Don't forget to put some on yourself, too, to help you relax.
The point of [dog guardianship] is to open oneself to becoming partly a dog...Edward Hoagland