Diamond - Owie

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

AuntieMom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Diamond - Owie

Post by AuntieMom »

My daughter called tonight. She had taken Diamond to the vet maybe a month ago because of a spot on her tummy. My daughter was giving her baths with a medicated shampoo twice a week for all this time. The original owie still has not healed and the cone Diamond was wearing caused another owie. Diamond even developed one in her mouth although it is not affecting her eating. They went to the vet again today. He suspects something going on with the immune system. They go back tomorrow for blood work. My daughter says the owies are smelly. She changes Diamond’s bedding daily (sometimes more.) Just curious to know if some of you might have thoughts about what is going on. Here is a picture. http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/1466/diamondowie.jpg :(
Trapper, CharLee & Kallie

Dalyx
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Re: Diamond - Owie

Post by Dalyx »

Ouch! That looks like it hurts or at least is extremely uncomfy, poor girlie. :(

The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is a fungus infection, like blastomyces, histo or the like, but if I remember right those are usually in the midwest.

Leishmania causes skin ulcerations and is known to be in Texas although still pretty rare, might be worth looking into too.

They say mites can go systemic and cause immune problems, but the medicated shampoo should have cleared up the sores at least.

Has the doc taken cultures? If he hasn't that might be the next way to go, it would tell you whether its bacterial/fungal/protozoa at the least.

britlover
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by britlover »

Looks like a hotspot to me, but I've never heard of one inside the mouth. My older boy has a history of allergy and skin issues, and used to get hot spots frequently that looked like that. I started using a product called NZymes and switched to a grain free diet and the hot spots have not returned. Here's some info that may be helpful.
http://www.nzymes.com/pc/symptomChkrRes ... on_id=2002
Since overgrowth if yeast in the digestive tract can be an underlying cause, perhaps medications (antiboitics) have created a flare up?
Piper, and Bryce

holisticmom
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by holisticmom »

sending Ms. Diamond the best!
The point of [dog guardianship] is to open oneself to becoming partly a dog...Edward Hoagland

AuntieMom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by AuntieMom »

Thanks for the responses. I really appreciate it, but special hugs to Holisticmom who is nursing Orion.
Dalyx wrote: … The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is a fungus infection, like blastomyces, histo or the like, but if I remember right those are usually in the midwest. … Has the doc taken cultures? If he hasn't that might be the next way to go, it would tell you whether its bacterial/fungal/protozoa at the least.
The doctor did blood work and cultures today but I don’t know if the results are in yet. I have a call in to my daughter. The waiting is making me crazy (she called from the vet but then we have not heard since.) The fungus crossed my mind, too, but my own dogs have never had anything like this. Diamond travels from Texas to Nebraska when they come back for visits so she has been in the Midwest, most recently in March but she already had the first owie at that time.
britlover wrote: … Since overgrowth if yeast in the digestive tract can be an underlying cause, perhaps medications (antiboitics) have created a flare up?

Diamond has been on antibiotics recently and I am going to suggest my daughter start giving Diamond yogurt. Maybe that will help her.

Canned Ice
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Canned Ice »

Health food stores sell probiotics that have to stay refrigerated that are even better than yogurt. I hope you guys can figure out what is going on with Diamond. Those spots look nasty.
Buckley - I own this mountain.

Muddy Creek Britts
Zinger
Zinger

Post by Muddy Creek Britts »

That looks like what Maggie had. This is the post about it:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7660
Could it be tick related :?:
Brian
Muddy Creek Britts
"When a dog runs at you, whistle for him." ~~Henry David Thoreau

AuntieMom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by AuntieMom »

Diamond has a bacterial skin infection. Cause unknown but it is back to antibiotics.

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

I was almost afraid to open this post for fear of what I would find. I guess that's good news? :?
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla

AuntieMom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by AuntieMom »

Cindy wrote:I guess that's good news? :?
Yes, at least there is something that might help, which is good news all things considered.

kat
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by kat »

Good to hear it's something like that, like you said, considering. We'll keep her in our prayers.
My mom is a Kat - How cool is that?

binkus
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Post by binkus »

Growing up we had an elderly dog get a brown recluse spider bite that looked something like that. She was so old that she would just lay in one place most of the day. I guess a spider crawled under her while she lay there. Not sure how the vet determined this or if there is a test or not. It eventually healed but it took a long time.
Bailey and Angel

adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by adele »

Well a diagnosis is usually a relief, especially if there is treatment. I hope Diamond heals up very quickly. Please let us know how its going.

holisticmom
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by holisticmom »

Here's to a quick recovery--give her a pat for us!
The point of [dog guardianship] is to open oneself to becoming partly a dog...Edward Hoagland

AuntieMom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by AuntieMom »

Great news. Diamond is doing well on antibiotics. Daughter says she hasn't noticed new owies and she is trying to get the old ones healed up. The owies don't seem to be getting reinfected as long as my daughter gets all the hair off them and they don't get matted with hair.

Diamond is also enjoying yogurt, which has been voted household favorite food by canine and humans, even the little human who is almost 1 y/o. :D