Brittany pees in same place EVERYNIGHT with 1 drop of poo!!

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

tmixdorf
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Brittany pees in same place EVERYNIGHT with 1 drop of poo!!

Post by tmixdorf »

I have a friend who has a Brittany that I'm guessing is 10 yrs old. No health issues, has plenty of bathroom breaks and exercise. But lately has started going out in the middle of the night and peeing in the same exact spot as well as leaving just one little "turd" . This happens night after night.

They restrict her water by actually shutting the door to the area she can get water.

Anyone heard of this or have dealt with this? I would love to be able to give him some time of answer. They are ready to give her up as they are not spring chickens themselves and cleaning the area day after day is wearing them thin!

Any ideas/advice would be appreciated!!
Terry Mixdorf

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Re: Brittany pees in same place EVERYNIGHT with 1 drop of poo!!

Post by Barb Wright »

It's marking.....They probably have a night time visitor that is also marking....it's a battle for the territory :P :P :wink: I had a huskie that would leave a small parcel of poo every chance he got when in strange areas where other dogs or animals had been. If I made 6 stops on a trip to town he left 6 "marks", and not just pee :lol:

And really, what is so arduous about picking up one little bit of poo :? :? ....if left til morning it will be dry and easy to pick up along with the morning deposit.
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13

tmixdorf
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Post by tmixdorf »

Hi Barb...

It's not just the poo...that is easy...your right. It's the pee. She is the only dog in the house. When they 1st got her, she did this but they found it was from excessive drinking and it wasn't happening overnight. Got her on the correct thyroid meds and everything has been wonderful, till the last month. She pees and not just a little...it's noticeable and the poo is the garnishment if you must know. It's not more then 1 piece which is very weird.

They are thinking it is behavioral, but why? They can't figure out. Routine has been the same for years....no changes, no deletions.

That's the main problem...her peeing just once a night in the same spot EVERY night :(
Terry Mixdorf

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Post by Barb Wright »

Doesn't sound behavioral to me if it's not marking. Maybe someone else has some better insight into if it is actually behavioral :?

When I mentioned "territory" I was mostly referring to another animal, doesn't have to be a dog, that is also marking in that area. Possum, coon, cat, whatever. Some nocturnal visitor.

Only other thought is that it is physical....she needs to eliminate. So, best a vet check for kidney function, UTI, perhaps a change in thyroid doses, etc.

What is so special about the spot she pees/poops in that it is causing such a "problem"??? Or is the having to get up to let her out that is annoying???? Anyway, health problems needs to be ruled out by a vet.

Hoping it's not just excuses to get rid of an old dog :cry: Other than that I'm out of guesses :? Hope someone else has some ideas to help.

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

Could it possibly be some form of incontinence that she just happens to be waking them up for before making a mistake? Can't say I've ever heard of this but it does sound like a vet check would be in order. What about covering the spot in the yard with a chair or box? Or spraying the area with some sort of animal "deterrent?" Or putting mothballs down in that place? I'd probably go at it from several angles hoping something would provide an answer.
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla

Jessica
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Post by Jessica »

I think the problem is that she's peeing in the house. She said that they have to clean it every day, so that makes me think it's on the carpet or something so it can't be a "nocturnal visitor".
Image Image
Eli: rescued 12/20/07........Lily: rescued 05/16/09

"If you don't own a dog, at least one, there is not necessarily anything wrong with you, but there may be something wrong with your life."
~Roger Caras

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Post by Barb Wright »

Jessica, you might be right. When it was stated she was "going out" I just jumped to the conclusion "out" meant outside. Maybe not ??

If that is the case, then it does sort of narrow it down to she needs to go in the middle of the night, is off schedule, and a vet check would be in order. MO :)

AuntieMom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by AuntieMom »

Has a urine infection been ruled out, Terry?
Trapper, CharLee & Kallie

tmixdorf
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Post by tmixdorf »

Here is the History:

Owner surrender who kept her outside in a filthy kennel 24/7. Overweight :cry: She was find for about a week and then started peeing in that spot in by the dining room table. Thought it was the "newness" of being in a new home, learning to housebreak, etc. That was about 2.5 yrs ago. During that time, they took her to a large animal vet (not realizing he didn't really work on dogs). He said her problem was her thyroid and basically OVER drugged her with the meds. It made her drink so much water she couldn't even hold it long enough to get to the door. We thought she had Cushings, but once we learned of the vet, we told him to go to a different vet and that made all the difference. She was overdosing and it almost did her in. So once she was regulated correctly, ZERO problems.

Now the owners are getting older and she is too. And in the last 2-3 weeks she started peeing in that same spot that she did when she 1st came there. And then she adds 1 little turd to the mix. Yes, that is easy to pickup. But the peeing in the same spot every night is ruining the carpet. (which I think it already is).

I gave them ideas on how to remove the smell so she doesn't go back to that spot. She doesn't wake them up, she just goes. I wonder if they put a bell on her or something so they could hear her getting up they could let her out and then back in....that might be a thought?

They are ready to find a new home...they can't keep cleaning every day, they are not young and starting to have their own health issues, etc. So I completely understand where they are coming from!

I just didn't know if anyone with a Brittany had seen this type of strange behavior...like walking in their sleep. Smell might be an attraction...but the 1 little turd is what is the kicker? Why that? Pushing too hard???

Any thoughts are always appreciated :D
Terry Mixdorf

AuntieMom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by AuntieMom »

The one little turd seems strange. Could be from straining. Could be the muscles are relaxing as she pees. Just when I think I've heard everything ....
Trapper, CharLee & Kallie

rtropeano
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by rtropeano »

I can understand being elderly and unable to deal with a dog that is messing in the house every night - how about putting down a doggie litter box in that spot or wee wee pads until the problem can be solved. There are also doggie diapers that might help? Can they just crate her in the evening?

I just hate to see a dog in it's golden years end up being rehomed.

"I didn't do nothing, Mama!"
Daisy Mae, CGC, TDI, CTL1-F

holisticmom
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by holisticmom »

I think Rose is onto something. One of my friends had a Shar-Pei who went almost everyplace with her. When Cyd had to stay home, she would leave a strongly worded opinion on the floor. That was the only time she went in the house. So my friend just started putting the pad down, Cyd would express herself, and harmony was re-established. I'd still make sure that she went for a vet check to rule out an infection or something more sinister.
The point of [dog guardianship] is to open oneself to becoming partly a dog...Edward Hoagland

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Post by Barb Wright »

So, Terry, how or is the issue resolving??? Always like to hear if any of the suggestions worked, or just what did work :)