Benign prostatic hyperplasia

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Annabelle
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Benign prostatic hyperplasia

Post by Annabelle »

Our boy Jack has been diagosed with benign prostatic hyperplasia. i thought he might just have blocked anal ducts, but it turns out he prostate is swollen and this is what the Vet has diagnose. The treatment is neutering which isn't a big deal since we were always planning to do it eventually after we finished showing him. I still want to ask a few questions before we get it done. Ie what if the swelling of the prostate doesn't go down what is the next step? Any other question you guys can think to ask? Anyone else have a dog with this experience? Thanks

Jack is pretty chipped and it doesn't seem to bug him too much at this stage

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Re: Benign prostatic hyperplasia

Post by Barb Wright »

Annabelle wrote:....Anyone else have a dog with this experience?
This is a clinical conditions found in 60% of male dogs more than 5 years old and in nearly 100 % of male dogs 10 to 12 years old. Neutering almost always takes care of the problem if the diagnosis has been correct. Even neutered dogs can have this problem, just less likely.

Just curious, what symptoms took you to the Vet ??

If you are not comfortable with the diagnosis be sure and get a second opinion. In fact, when surgery is considered a second opinion is always a good practice :) Keep in mind that "benign" is a comforting word as long as the diagnosis is correct. And both vets (if you do a second opinion) should be able to give you a prognosis about what may or may not happen from here on.

I have quite a bit of info in file if you would like to do a little research on the subject....just let me know and I will forward it to you :)
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13

Annabelle
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by Annabelle »

I don't know how to describe it, his rectum looked like it was swollen up or maybe more out-turned is a better description. When we first started noticing it would sometimes be swollen/little bit out-turned and then go back down to normal after a BM. But in the last year it just goes from very swollen/ very out-turned to swollen/out-turned, never really back down to normal. We have a second brittany female so we could tell what was normal vs not. The vet asked us if he was straining at all when BM but since it has been so gradual it is hard to say.

I would love to see the info that you have on it. I did check it up on the Merck Veterinary manual that I saw in one of the other posts.

Thanks
Ann

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

I don't know anything about this condition but at least it's something you can "fix." :)
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla

holisticmom
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by holisticmom »

Cindy--groaaaan! 8)
The point of [dog guardianship] is to open oneself to becoming partly a dog...Edward Hoagland

Annabelle
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by Annabelle »

Well we saw the second vet. The out-turned tissue at Jack's back end is called anal tissue hypertrophy. He said Jack's back end looked like a normal intact male, although he would have expected this degree of hypertrophy in a dog a couple of years older. This is very common in intact males and as they get older it can get to look like a donut. Jack's prostate is just slightly swollen but nothing to right home about, just a side effect of the testosterone of being an intact male. He still recommended getting Jack fixed for the other health benefits, but he was able to rule out other more serious issues of the prostate. :) Thanks for advising to get a second opinion, since it put out mind at ease having the additional informaiton

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

Always best to get another opinion when it comes to surgery. Sounds like Jack will be good as new after he is neutered. Thanks for keeping us posted.
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla