Rosie is about 1 year cancer free.

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Mike S.
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Rosie is about 1 year cancer free.

Post by Mike S. »

Rosie had another clear x-ray today and the cancer does not show any signs of returning (blood work pending). Lets keep it that way.

This heat has really gotten to her and shes a bit more lazy and sleeps a bit more. I'd guess we also have to realize that she is almost 8 years old. WOW!

She also gained 5 lbs over the past ~3 months so we'll cut back a bit to keep her figure. We switched to the senior food and she has a slight bit of arthritus so she is on glucosomine (sp?) supplements for that.

Boy its tough getting old.... :roll:
Josh (rescued Oct 07), Rosie (rescued Nov 03), and Haley (rescued Oct 07)

Sooz
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Re: Rosie is about 1 year cancer free.

Post by Sooz »

Glad to hear Rosie is cancer free!
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." – Unknown

rtropeano
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by rtropeano »

Wow, that's awesome, be well Rosie!
Rose
Last edited by rtropeano on Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"I didn't do nothing, Mama!"
Daisy Mae, CGC, TDI, CTL1-F

kat
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by kat »

Yaay Rosie!!! That is great news! Will definitely keep fingers crossed for good labs as well. Nothing wrong with laziness, just so glad she's doing well overall, she has always seemed like such a good girl.
My mom is a Kat - How cool is that?

Canned Ice
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Canned Ice »

Yeah, Rosie. That is GREAT news. The heat can get anyone down. I bet Rosie will perk back up once cooler temperatures prevail this fall. The last few days near 100 F in VA have really brought Buckley's energy level waaaaay down. He's chipper and playful until mid-morning then he is content to sleep for the rest of the day (or at least until dinner time).
Buckley - I own this mountain.

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

Such good news about Rosie. She's one of our real success stories so tell her to keep up the good work!! It's been 100 degrees here in VA the last couple of days and neither one of our dogs (6 and 8 yrs old) have energy to do much of anything besides run after 1 squirrel and come back inside to collapse and cool off.
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Post by Barb Wright »

So happy to hear the good news about Rosie :D And for sure, heat, age, and overweight can get anybody down :P :P Ageing is a good thing (far better than the alternative :wink:)..... we just have to strive harder for comfort levels :P When the weather turns cooler and she has lost weight you'll see more of the usual Rosie I bet.
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13

Bill C.
Puppy Kindergarten Grad
Puppy Kindergarten Grad

Post by Bill C. »

Weight gain from steroid treatments for cancer?

Mike S.
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by Mike S. »

No - there was no steroid treatment. The vet who did the surgery was pretty confident that he removed all of the cancer from the thyroid and no steroids were needed. Her thyroid function was a bit low (most recent blood work) and I think we incresed her food (inadvertantly). Between those two and the fact that we keep in her in more from the extreme heat, I think she put on the pounds.

All of her other functions were normal as of the latest blood results.
Josh (rescued Oct 07), Rosie (rescued Nov 03), and Haley (rescued Oct 07)

PattiSAZ
Puppy

Post by PattiSAZ »

Rosie went to the vet today for a checkup following the cancer surgery. She is now having six month visits and this was her first. Lungs are clear, heart is in normal range and all looks good. Blood work should be back tomorrow so I can update when I get a call from the vet. So far so good! Vet continues to call her his "miracle" dog. :-) He does want her to continue on an arthritis inflammation medicine. Either Dasoquin or Cosoquin - do any of you have an opinion on either medicine? Any information - personal accounts you can offer will be greatly appreciated!
PattiSAZ
Rosie's Mom

kat
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by kat »

No advice on the anti-inflammatories, but a big hooray for another great check up!! Go Rosie!
My mom is a Kat - How cool is that?

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Post by Barb Wright »

PattiSAZ wrote:.. Either Dasoquin or Cosoquin - do any of you have an opinion on either medicine? Any information - personal accounts you can offer will be greatly appreciated!
No experience with either product, but I had a little bit in file on both. The only difference between Dasuquin and Cosequin seems to be the addition to Dasuquin of avocado and soybean, plus some artificial flavoring. They are both made by the same company..Nutramax. So, price may be the only qualifier you want to consider. Though there is one little point I'd like to make....you have to be very careful about products with soybeans as soybeans are a highly genetically modified agricultural product. Personally, I won't touch a product with soybean unless it says the soybeans are organically grown, or at least NON genetically modified. JMPO Also, artificial flavorings should be avoided if at all possible. JMPO

Remember, dogs vary in their improvement or non-improvement when taking supplements, and of course drugs also. Probably the best thing is to just try one and see how it goes…if no noticeable change after a few weeks (or use up the bottle), then try the other.

Soooo glad to hear the good report on Rosie 8) The more good reports we get the happier we all are :D
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13

PattiSAZ
Puppy

Post by PattiSAZ »

Thanks Kat. We are definitely happy too. :-)
PattiSAZ
Rosie's Mom

PattiSAZ
Puppy

Post by PattiSAZ »

Thanks Barb. Great information as always. :-) I will look at the ingredients and see if the soybean is organically grown, etc. and go from there. Yes, we are definitely glad for the good report today. Waiting for blood work to see about her thyroid level but her energy level has really improved since Winter has arrived. ;-)
PattiSAZ
Rosie's Mom

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

Go Rosie!!!! Go Rosie!!!!! Go Rosie!!!! :D
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla