Tremmors/spasms/pm seizures???

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

mart
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Tremmors/spasms/pm seizures???

Post by mart »

I think we are starting to loose our Logan. We adopted him almost 4 years ago from ABR. Dec 26th actually, as we wanted to wait till the holiday hoopla was over to bring him home. This past fall when we were in for his check up, our vet re-estimated his age to be at least 13, so I know be is gettng up there.
On Monday morning I noticed that he seemed to be having some spasms. He does have a disk in his neck that gives him issues from time to time, to at first glance I thought I would be calling the vet for more pred and an adjustment. When I got home from work on Monday night we went outside to try and play in the snow before the temps dropped too low (-10 right now). It was very clear that it was NOT his neck.
He will be fine one minute, then have what can best be described as a peti-mal seizure. He goes stiff, his body twitches and shakes for 10-15 seconds, then he is still for another 10 seconds before he recovers. This seems to happen fairly frequently now. Almost every 30 minutes or so. Poor guy just seems confused. The vet opens in anothe 3 hours, so I will call then, but thought I would check here first.
There is no way he got into anything. The house is toddler proof, and there is a mountian of fresh snow outside, so I would be able to tell if it was something that came from out there. All he wants to do is sit in my lap. :(
I realize we may be coming to the end, I just didn't think it would be this soon.

Sooz
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Re: Tremmors/spasms/pm seizures???

Post by Sooz »

Gosh, I'm so sorry to hear about Logan. I have no advice to give, but am sending healing thoughts his way. Give him extra cuddles from me.
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." – Unknown

Canned Ice
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Canned Ice »

No ideas here either. We are thinking about you and Logan. Poor guy and poor you! Waiting for the vet to open is so tough. Let us know what the vet says.
Buckley - I own this mountain.

mart
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Post by mart »

just got off the phone with the vet...
They agreed that it sounds like he is having seizures. They said that we could try meds (phenobarbitol), but with the sudden onset and frequency of them, that the meds may not help. He has also had stability issues in his hind legs for the past few months (normal for a 13 year old). They recommend considering letting him go. They even said that he might go on his own sooner then later.
I thought we had more time with him... :cry: :cry:

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Post by Barb Wright »

:cry: Not a good day :cry: I hope he rallies :(
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

Oh no! Not sure what to say except that sometimes you just never know. I've had dogs rally from situations I thought impossible. Then again .... :cry: I'm sure you will get a better handle on the situation in the next few days. Wish there was more I could do or say.
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla

rtropeano
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by rtropeano »

Oh, so sorry to hear this news - sending healing thoughts Logan's way and hoping that he rallies and begins to feel better.
Rose

"I didn't do nothing, Mama!"
Daisy Mae, CGC, TDI, CTL1-F

kat
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by kat »

I'm so sorry, after all the great times, it comes to this. This is just the hardest part, I hope our good thoughts and prayers find their way to you and your family, and mostly to Logan. Keep up the good loving and hold him close, you never know..... we're all pulling for him.
My mom is a Kat - How cool is that?

Annabelle
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by Annabelle »

Hugs and positive thoughts going out your brit and family!

adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by adele »

I'm sorry to hear Logan is well. Perhaps the medication will help. I hope he gets better so you can have more time together.

mart
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Post by mart »

Lugan seems to be hanging in there...he is still having lots of seizure activity, but otherwise acts like his normal happy self. DH and I discussed that so long as he was happy we would wait it out. He has seizure about every hour or so, and they last about 15-20 seconds. Then he is fine, playing, eating, drinking, stealing crackers from our son. I trust that he will let us know when it is his time, as soon as he even hints at loosing interest in anything, we will let him go. He lived a tough life before rescue, we have made it our goal to make his life as happy as can be, and will not let him suffer just for our needs.
One day at a time.
Thanks everyone!

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

Enjoy the time you have because it seems like Logan is! Those seizures are scary and I've only experience one with Jill. Fingers and paws crossed for many more good days.
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla

holisticmom
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by holisticmom »

As cliched as it sounds, as long as he's still having fun and enjoying life, even with the flippin' seizures.You never have enough time with your dog. I have a friend who had a dog who lived to be 19.5. Still wasn't long enough, even though the last few months were compromised by doggy Alzheimer's.
The point of [dog guardianship] is to open oneself to becoming partly a dog...Edward Hoagland

PattiSAZ
Puppy

Post by PattiSAZ »

Sorry to hear about Logan. Hoping that he continues to hold his own and get better to enjoy more time with you. It's hard but enjoy the time you have with him and continue making him as happy as you can!
PattiSAZ
Rosie's Mom

mart
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Post by mart »

Logan is doing better! The vet thinks that he may have had some kind of little stroke that set things off for a little while. The last week or so, he has only had one or two episodes. I was so relieved to get through the holidays with him. Santa brought me the flu for Christmas, and Logan was my heated blanket through it all.