Dry fur/skin

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

adleblanc
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Dry fur/skin

Post by adleblanc »

Recently PJ switched to a low protein diet and started thyroid medication. He has developed really dry skin and has dander. The vet suggested I up the fish oil so that the EPA is 800mg. PJ was eating Taste of the Wild and Innova, now he is on California Natural. Does anyone have any suggestions? He does get vitamin e with his fish oil. Would the low protein cause this?

Andrea
Life is like a dog sled team. If you ain't the lead dog, the scenery never changes. ~Lewis Grizzard

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Re: Dry fur/skin

Post by Barb Wright »

All I can contribute is that dogs are carnivores and their diet should consist of about 85-95 % protein from MEAT. Carbs and anything else that contributes protein, other than MEAT, is not utilized well by dogs. They are CARNIVORES !! Raw meat, which contributes almost all of the essential amino acids a dog requires, is probably the most IMPORTANT food you can feed your dog. Cooked meat is better than nothing! Being on a thyroid medication does not change the requirement for protein from MEAT. The fish oil, vit E, other ANIMAL oily sources are good, but the best, VERY BEST, you can do for your dog is quality protein from MEAT ! I feel like the change you made to a low protein food substantiates this premise.....which actually doesn't need proving!!

In fact, I guess I will press the point.....there are very few, like in VEEEEEEERY FEW, instances when a high protein diet from quality ANIMAL sources is the wrong thing to do for a dog. JMLTHO :)
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13

rtropeano
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by rtropeano »

Very interesting to add - I have given raw meat to all of my animals, Daisy and the cats and they all took to it readily - except the torti cat who only eats junk. It was mentioned that some animals don't take to it right away but mind did and they wanted MORE!!!

They also love the Nature's Variety frozen raw snacks....devour them. It stills grosses me out - but it's good for them and Nature's Variety has coupons if you want to try it out...

Rose

"I didn't do nothing, Mama!"
Daisy Mae, CGC, TDI, CTL1-F

Lisa

Post by Lisa »

Could also be due to the thyroid meds not being at just the right dosage. When the thyroid levels are off, it shows up in the coat and skin being dry and flakey. The dose on the meds may need tweaking. Maybe up a little, as dry skin is usually due to low thyroid.
Image Image RIP Madi
Charm-future agility champ
Britty- RIP March 27, 2014
Buster-CGC, OA, OF, NAJ, APK, APJ, APG, APR, PD

adleblanc
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Post by adleblanc »

The low protein diet was suggested to us due to his dog aggression. Research shows a lower protein diet may help with the aggression.
Life is like a dog sled team. If you ain't the lead dog, the scenery never changes. ~Lewis Grizzard

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Post by Barb Wright »

adleblanc wrote:.. Research shows a lower protein diet may help with the aggression.
I would like to see the list of "research" studies where this was the conclusion. But of course, when "they" use the word "may" they absolve themselves from any real proveable evidence. Actually, I can tell you where these studies came from....one or more commercial dog food manufacturers.

Lisa had an excellent suggestion....tweak the Thyroid meds and see if that helps. You can increase the fish oil to tolerance (stool quality) as well.....2000 mg. twice a day would be considered therapeutic, but the thyroid needs to be working properly for you to get true benefit. You might try some digestive enzymes as well....will help with what the thyroid is not accomplishing, both metabolically and ezymatically. And pure wild Salmon oil is a better source than just any old fish oil....these days there is too much farmed fish product and you really want a better source than that IMO.

As you "tweak" away let us know how it goes....we all learn from others experiences :)
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13

janet909
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by janet909 »

rtropeano wrote:They also love the Nature's Variety frozen raw snacks....devour them. Rose
Rose,
Do you just feed Daisy the raw snacks or do you feed her the kibble too?? I just looked at their website and am very intrigued. It seems there's actually 2 stores in my town that sells this and I thought I'd go sample some. I've been feeding them Chicken Soup for the Dog Soul but have been pondering changing their diet as Moby has had a lot of issues with diarrhea and is on his third round of Flagyl for cannine c-diff overgrowth. He's so picky but might like this.
Janet

rtropeano
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by rtropeano »

Janet - Daisy just gets raw snacks. Sometimes I use the Instinct raw patties and sometimes I just give them meat before I cook it. I do a rotation of kibble with plus some raw snacks and occassionally I add cooked meat as well.

She's been on Califorinia Natural (b4 they were bought out by P&G), EVO, Wellness Core/Wellness (I don't use this anymore, she got sick on it one time) and Taste of the Wild - which she is currently on with no problems. I think she does better on grain free.

Rose

adleblanc
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Post by adleblanc »

I changed PJ over to Wellness Core which he loves and seems to be doing good on. Several people have told me it is due to the prozac. Does anyone know if this is true? I gave PJ a nice oatmeal bath and another good brushing and it looks better.

rtropeano
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by rtropeano »

Daisy was okay on Core too - it was one of the other brands that made her ill...so i just discontinued using that company entirely.
Glad PJ is doing better.
Rose

dmedric
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by dmedric »

Both of my dogs eat Wellness Core grain-free ocean and are doing well on it.

Canned Ice
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Canned Ice »

Buckley's on prozac and no skin or coat issues here. He also did well on Wellness Core. I had to move him to a lower fiber food because of the pancreatic problems. He's eating Orijen now and doing well on it.
Buckley - I own this mountain.