Jill had a seizure - ANOTHER ONE! And another one!!

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Jill had a seizure - ANOTHER ONE! And another one!!

Post by Cindy »

Just a little over 4 years from the first one she had, Jill had another seizure early this morning. I thought she was scratching herself furiously (she was on the bed) and when I opened my eyes to look at her I could tell it was a seizure. She was stiff as a board with legs going like crazy until she pushed herself off the bed. She had already peed where she was sleeping and then some more when she got on the floor. She lost all ability to stand so I just tried to be calm and keep her quiet. Her pupils were totally dilated - just big black eyes! It probably lasted about 1 minute (same as last time). Then she slowly came around and wanted to go outside. I kept her right near me so she could go to the bathroom and then c brought her back in. At that point she was raring to go, wanted breakfast, and to play with Kayla. She was so happy to be alive, I think! But she was also very needy with us, licking us alot (which she doesn't often do) and standing really close. I got clean sheets on the bed and everyone settled back down but Jill just kept a really close eye on me until we got up at 6 AM. It was almost like she thought something was wrong with me instead of her. I pulled out my notes from the other one she'd had - same symptoms, same amount of time - and wrote details about this one. It's just so weird that this happens.

I'm kind of thinking that the vet would tell me the same thing he did the last time "It may never happen again or it might. Just keep good notes about when, where, etc. and we'll deal with it if it becomes a problem." Anything I should do?
Last edited by Cindy on Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla

kat
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Re: Jill had a seizure

Post by kat »

Sounds like you've got it all just right. Keep an eye on her, but your vet said the same thing mine always has. Mine told me unless there are significant "post-ictal" problems after the seizures, they don't even think medication until they are having them more than once a month. Not a great way to wake up, but hopefully the rest of your Holiday will be good. Definitely keep us posted on her.
My mom is a Kat - How cool is that?

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Post by Barb Wright »

:cry: :cry:
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

Thanks for the reassurance. You would never know that anything happened to her. She's totally acting normal today so that's the good news. Unfortunately my washing machine died after putting in the first load this morning so off to Lowes we go. We sure know how to have a good time!!! :roll: :roll:

Humphrey's Mom
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by Humphrey's Mom »

Poor Jill, and poor you. That must be so scary to watch. :cry: I am glad she is acting okay today. Hopefully she will go four more years without scaring you.

janet909
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by janet909 »

Very scary to watch. :shock: :shock: :shock: An awful way to wake up. I'm glad that she's acting normal. Let us know how she does and let her know we're all thinking of her !!!!!

mkilcz
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by mkilcz »

So sorry Cindy... I can't even imagine how hard that must have been to watch. Saying a prayer that all will remain well!

Marge

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Post by Barb Wright »

Have been thinking about you and Jill a lot....hope that all has gone back to normal and stays that way. Another four years would be a good thing.

It did occur to me that a DAILY journal, if you are not already doing that, would be a good idea to have for Jill. What LEADS UP to the events may give more of a clue, maybe suggest a pattern. Though with four years between episodes it's almost impossible to pinpoint a cause. I had somewhat the same problem with Cassie. Even though I kept a daily journal for her over a four year period it still did not give a clue or pattern to her problem, which was finally diagnosed as a motility problem as in failure of the stomach to let contents out into the small intestine. But, a daily, or at least weekly, journal is a good practice for all of us to be in....it just helps so much when no cause is obvious and we need to figure out just what the heck is going on!

Paws crossed for no reoccurances.
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

I did think about the journal and it is a good idea but .... I'm not very good at keeping these things up over the long haul. I did go back over the last week (about as mu8ch as I could recall) and just see the same old same old. The one thing that did cross my mind was the fact that's it's the same time of year. Do you think it's possible she ate something? She grazes all the time and even though we don't use pesticides (and our closest neighbors are all organic) it's possible other people do. And John did have the dogs up the road for a swim in some other neighbor's pond. If the seizures become more frequent then I will definitely do the journal. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for another 4 years though. John took her swimming yesterday and she was totally fine and has been today as well.

AuntieMom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by AuntieMom »

I hope things go ok with Jill. Not knowing has to be so frustrating ...
Trapper, CharLee & Kallie

enginerd
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Post by enginerd »

Sorry to hear Jill had another seizure, but glad to hear she's back to normal. Here's to hoping it will be her last.
Carlyn

Chuck and Ripley... we will not be still

rtropeano
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by rtropeano »

I know this is way out in left field - but could it have something to do with Fireworks or noise - I know certain lights flashing and that type of thing can cause seizures in humans - I wonder if sound can cause them too?

I hope Jill is feeling better and stays seizure free - It has to be soo scary!!! *hugs*

"I didn't do nothing, Mama!"
Daisy Mae, CGC, TDI, CTL1-F

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

rtropeano wrote:I know this is way out in left field - but could it have something to do with Fireworks or noise - I know certain lights flashing and that type of thing can cause seizures in humans - I wonder if sound can cause them too?
That's an interesting thought but, out where we live, we rarely hear fireworks. Now thunderstorms are a different story and we did have a bad one earlier that night. I have no idea about how delayed the seizure could be.

adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by adele »

How's Jill?

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

Jill is absolutely perfectly fine - thanks for asking. She didn't miss a beat afterwards and you'd think she would have been tired or something. I just had lunch with a friend who's a vet tech and had a dog who had seizures. She was telling me how the dog had a bunch in a month when he was less than a year old (grand mal type like Jill) and then not again until he was 13 and those were minor. I asked her if it could be something growing, since Jill is such a grazer, but she said it would probably happen every year at the same time. So much for that idea.