Jill had a seizure - ANOTHER ONE! And another one!!

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Re: Jill had a seizure - ANOTHER ONE! And another one!!

Post by Cindy »

Thanks everyone - Jill had another small seizure at about 1 AM. I just want the meds to kick in and do their job.
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla

Canned Ice
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Canned Ice »

Oh no, Cindy! I just the whole thread. I'm sorry to hear Jill's seizures have gotten so bad. My friend's Bernese Mountain Dog had seizures so I've seen first hand what they can do to a loving owner - and let me say, trying to deal with a seizing 100+ lb Berner on a forest trail is no picnic either. It's so tough to see your dog go through that. I hope the pheno does the trick for you. *hugs*
Buckley - I own this mountain.

adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by adele »

I'm sorry they didn't just go away on their own. Hopefully the medicine will fix the problem. How scary. Since its been okay for others it'll probably be okay for Jill too.

enginerd
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Post by enginerd »

I'm so sorry to hear that Jill's seizures are back with a vengeance. Hopefully the meds will help get them under control. Have things been good since Saturday? Keeping my fingers (and the pups have their paws crossed) for you and Jill.
Carlyn

Chuck and Ripley... we will not be still

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

enginerd wrote: Have things been good since Saturday? Keeping my fingers (and the pups have their paws crossed) for you and Jill.
Jill was VERY low key on Saturday, I "thought" due to the drug. They told me it would be 4-10 days until her body could metabolize it and to expect her to be low key, maybe even act like she was drunk. Apparently they don't know Brittanys (they do everything at warp speed) because as of Sunday she is completely and totally normal. In Jill's case this is a good thing because she's "almost" perfect. I've been doing my reading and research and have a list of questions for the vet so just waiting for a call back from him.

adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by adele »

So, how is Jill? I hope all is quiet now that the meds are working?

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

Thanks for asking! Jill seems to be doing just fine. I took her in for her wellness exam right before we went to the beach. (I did NOT vaccinate her for leptospirosis and will only do titers in the future!!) The vet did blood work to check on the phenobarbital level. It came back pretty low so he asked me to give her another 1/2 tab twice a day. She's been totally fine throughout and the best thing is NO MORE SEIZURES!!!!! I did ask about having an MRI done to make sure it wasn't a brain tumor causing the seizures. The vet (and my research) said that usually an MRI turns up nothing and they are VERY expensive ($1800+) and the dog needs to be under anesthesia. When I asked what they could do if it was a tumor, he said it would be brain surgery and that's another big ordeal. So, for the time being, I think I'm going to sit tight and keep my fingers crossed that the medicine continues to work. If she goes for an entire year without a seizure then we can possibly try to take her off the phenobarbital.

rtropeano
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by rtropeano »

That's great news, hopefully the meds continue to work and you have nothing further to worry about!
Rose

"I didn't do nothing, Mama!"
Daisy Mae, CGC, TDI, CTL1-F

adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by adele »

Excellent! Thank heavens the medication is working.

donald
Puppy Kindergarten Grad
Puppy Kindergarten Grad

Post by donald »

Cindy wrote:Just a little over 4 years from the first one she had, Jill had another seizure early this morning. I thought she was scratching herself furiously (she was on the bed) and when I opened my eyes to look at her I could tell it was a seizure. She was stiff as a board with legs going like crazy until she pushed herself off the bed. She had already peed where she was sleeping and then some more when she got on the floor. She lost all ability to stand so I just tried to be calm and keep her quiet. Her pupils were totally dilated - just big black eyes! It probably lasted about 1 minute (same as last time). Then she slowly came around and wanted to go outside. I kept her right near me so she could go to the bathroom and then c brought her back in. At that point she was raring to go, wanted breakfast, and to play with Kayla. She was so happy to be alive, I think! But she was also very needy with us, licking us alot (which she doesn't often do) and standing really close. I got clean sheets on the bed and everyone settled back down but Jill just kept a really close eye on me until we got up at 6 AM. It was almost like she thought something was wrong with me instead of her. I pulled out my notes from the other one she'd had - same symptoms, same amount of time - and wrote details about this one. It's just so weird that this happens.

I'm kind of thinking that the vet would tell me the same thing he did the last time "It may never happen again or it might. Just keep good notes about when, where, etc. and we'll deal with it if it becomes a problem." Anything I should do?

Hope she's better now?

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

So it appears that Jill is going to have break through seizures even on phenobarbital/medicine. She had another small one last night, the first in about 2 months and the 2nd since she was diagnosed with epilepsy at the end of the summer. It was very similar to the last one, only lasted about 1 minute and not as severe as a full blown seizure. The problem is her recovery. She is so completely wild and wired (and, we think, thankful to be alive) that she won't settle down for at least 1.5 hours. Yes, I've been awake since 4 AM with this going on!! She races around the house exploring every crack and corner, races around outside, and then comes back in "talking" to us and barking, trying to get anyone to play with her. It's kind of manic behavior. I guess I should be thankful that she feels that good afterwards.

I forgot to mention that this happened on top of my cat waking me up 3 times growling and yowling, staring at "something" that was on the other side of the dog door. I never did see what that was!! I ought to be totally worthless at work today!

Rachelle
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by Rachelle »

Poor Jill. :cry: Have you considered trying potassium bromide for her seizures? Here's a link to some info on it:

http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-ang ... romide.htm

Hope things go better for Jill today!
Henry

StFrost
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by StFrost »

Frost did the same thing when he came out of his fits. he was on both phenylbarbitol and potassium bromide, which lessened the seizures to about 1 a year-but, we also had rectal valuum we would use when it looked like he was about to have one and that worked great at preventing those manic moods.

AuntieMom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by AuntieMom »

I can understand the lack of sleep and you have my sympathy. All four of our dogs sleep in the room with us and when one wakes up, they all wake up. And so do we. :evil:
Trapper, CharLee & Kallie

kat
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by kat »

Oh I'm sorry Cindy! Has your vet mentioned Zonisamide? It worked wonders for our "grand-dog", after several months on it, with no more seizures she's now off of it and only taking the Potassium Bromide. I wonder what was outside??
My mom is a Kat - How cool is that?