B12 low range

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Alifaire
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

B12 low range

Post by Alifaire »

So... is low B12 the latest 'thing' in dog health? Victor was vomiting bile about every other day for a week. He's been under the care of a homeopathic vet for sebaceous cysts. HVet wanted him tested for chronic pancreatitis. Local vet said she has seen B12 injections resolve digestive problems like vomiting. Sure enough, the blood test came back with a low B12 [295 mg/L in a range of 251-908]. Local vet asked about starting Victor on two B12 injections a week.

Just wondering if this is the latest trend or if it's something I really need to consider.

BTW, Victor is feeling and looking well. We're still competing in agility and doing well. So I think the vomiting was caused by too much fat over the course of a week before the vomiting started.

MACH Casabergen's Victor Gentry CD BN RE MXS MJS MXF CGC ATD

Annie'sRebecca
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Re: B12 low range

Post by Annie'sRebecca »

This is a good question....I was wondering the same thing. I had to take Annie to the vet this week because she was vomiting everything she ate and drank and was in some obvious discomfort. The vet diagnosed her with gastritis, gave her an anti-nausea shot, a B12 shot, and gave her an injection of fluids because she was dehydrated, with instructions not to feed her anything till the next day.
Thankfully that all worked, but I was so worried about her (bad ideas of some kind of blockage) that honestly I missed the mention of B12 till I was looking at the bill.
I look forward to the replies, also!
Annie & Rowdy

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Post by Barb Wright »

Ah fads, will they never cease ! However, nothing wrong with a B12 shot, does the body good, can't hurt anything but the pocketbook.

Couple rules of thumb for diarrhea and vomiting....ALWAYS fast, no food just water, for AT LEAST one day, then start back with small bland meals such as several very small meals throughout the day and see how it goes. Fasting gives the digestive tract a chance to rest and recover, and though they act like they are staving when they start to feel better, they aren't going to starve in just a day so don't weaken. And ALWAYS make sure their water intake is upped substantially, such as being offered every hour, even flavoring the water to encourage drinking. Loss of all that moisture can lead to dehydration VERY FAST, and that can quickly spiral into a health crisis that is worse than what brought on all the "expelling".

On Victor, being in the low part of the "acceptable" range is not a reason IMO for action, and likewise being in the high part of the acceptable range is also not a reason to jump in with treatment. Being high or low in a range is merely something on which an eye should be kept. Keep in mind that a blood test is a snapshot only of the blood factors in that moment in time....a blood test taken later in the day, or tomorrow, or next week, may come up with values a bit different and with nothing that jumps out as abnormal. Cassie for example has all her life been out of acceptable range on her triglycerides, not dangerously so, but not in the norm. Over the years "we" just keep watching for other factors to come into play, but nada. So, out of range is normal for her....nothing to do about that except I do keep her fat intake lower than I would with another dog, but that is about it.

Also, again JMO, but if Victor is not vomiting food but just vomiting bile then stress might be more of a factor than anything else. Most dogs will vomit bile occasionally, perhaps a natural cleansing action, who knows. But frequently doing that is another matter. I'd try keeping a little food in his stomach, something non-fatty if you are suspicious about that, given some time prior to when he seems to be likely to up-chuck the bile. If you aren't already, you might start keeping a journal to see if there is pattern such as perhaps it relates to same day stress events. Patterns help give vets clues.

With Annie, well, sounds like she just picked up something, the body was busy getting rid of it and it probably would have resolved itself without intervention. Hindsight :roll: However, must say that after 24 hours of those symptoms plus obvious discomfort I'd have been off to the vet too. When it gets scary follow your gut :D

P.S. BTW you can give good vitamin B support by just adding 1 tablespoon a day of RAW chopped liver to the diet. Great source of the B vitamins, almost all of them, plus some other neat nutrients!!
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13

Lisa

Post by Lisa »

Not sure B12 is really a new "fad" as I remember my grandfather giving his old horses a shot of B12 when they started getting arthritic and had trouble getting up. Seemed to help them :) That was probably 20 years ago.

I'm not sure I'd jump on the B12 bandwagon for stomach upset, though. It won't hurt, but is the added expense necessary? Probably not.
Image Image RIP Madi
Charm-future agility champ
Britty- RIP March 27, 2014
Buster-CGC, OA, OF, NAJ, APK, APJ, APG, APR, PD

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

B12 shots have definitely been around for horses. My old horse Tigua had a few to try and increase her appetite. Hmm, sounds like a "wonder drug" to me!! Good for all sorts of stuff. And now that I'm thinking about it, my vet gave one to Annie when she got so sick with her heart problems and wouldn't eat. Unfortunately it didn't work for her.
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Post by Barb Wright »

What I meant by "fad" was all of a sudden it seems like so many vets want to include a vitamin B shot whether called for or not. Definitely there are times for B supplementation, but usually that is called for with a specific diagnosis, not just a general "-itis" situation. The B vitamins are water soluble and easily lost so supplementing with a B complex (or just B12) would almost never be wrong, just pricey if not really required. JMO I certainly can see it when dealing with dehydration which is a serious medical situation.

And FYI almost all B vitamins in shots and pills are synthetic and usually contain other constituents foreign as well. Since all dogs, just like us, are a little different, there is no way to tell how much good each body will actually get out of the treatmtent. That is why a good food source like raw liver is more perfect for supplementing vitamin B. However, using food for medicine doesn't allow for a therapeutic protocol.

Nope, I don't expect liver would work with the horses :P :P :wink:
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

Barb Wright wrote:
Nope, I don't expect liver would work with the horses :P :P :wink:
You must have read my mind!! I was just thinking about how you could feed liver to a horse and decided I'd mash it up, add a little water, put it in a syringe, and squirt in in their mouths! Yuk, bet that would be a huge mess!!
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla

Alifaire
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Post by Alifaire »

I was thinking raw liver would be more preferable to injections. Victor has seemed fine throughout the vomiting and non-vomiting phases. His water intake was good and he didn't seem sick ever. There was considerable added stress in the form of 7 Aussie and 1 Border Collie pup jumping at his crate while at the office. I really think it was also connected to the lycopodium which can cause late night vomiting - 3 out of the 4 time Victor upchucked.

So, I'm waiting to hear from the homeopathic vet. In the meantime, I'm limiting fatty treats and rawhide much to Victor's displeasure. :roll:

Thanks for all of the responses.

PCTech01
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by PCTech01 »

Greetings:

How much did the vet charge you for the blood test analysis for B12 deficiency? Did he perform other tests too of a similar nature? :?:

Thanks, PC

Alifaire
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Post by Alifaire »

The blood test for chronic pancreatitis was sent out to a Texas laboratory and was $160. They did a snap test in office to determine if Victor was in acute pancreatitis. Along with the office visit, that was another $100.

Alifaire
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Post by Alifaire »

Our homeopathic vet indicates B12 injections are fine as are Bcomplex vitamins [which include B12] given orally every day. I think I'll try the vitamins first. Now to choose the right vitamins. :roll:

donald
Puppy Kindergarten Grad
Puppy Kindergarten Grad

Post by donald »

Alifaire wrote:So... is low B12 the latest 'thing' in dog health? Victor was vomiting bile about every other day for a week. He's been under the care of a homeopathic vet for sebaceous cysts. HVet wanted him tested for chronic pancreatitis. Local vet said she has seen B12 injections resolve digestive problems like vomiting. Sure enough, the blood test came back with a low B12 [295 mg/L in a range of 251-908]. Local vet asked about starting Victor on two B12 injections a week.

Just wondering if this is the latest trend or if it's something I really need to consider.

BTW, Victor is feeling and looking well. We're still competing in agility and doing well. So I think the vomiting was caused by too much fat over the course of a week before the vomiting started.

ictor MX MXJ MXF RN TDInc

So you got it sorted?

Alifaire
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Post by Alifaire »

Nope - I actually think he may have had a 'flu' that a few other dogs in our area had.