Dog food

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Scarlett
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Dog food

Post by Scarlett »

I posted in another thread about Maggie (8 years old) recent vomiting. I felt sure most of the time it was related to anxiety. However, yesterday evening she vomited. It was just ds11 here with me and her. She had been fed early morning. No table scraps. Nothing going on. It appeared to be partially digested dogfood. Nothing really that icky. Not like when we were gone and came home to a horror show of really gross vomit.

So now that I've grossed you all out, my question is....does she need a different dog food? Something....gentler? She has had Purina dog chow almost exclusively her entire life. No change recently.

Sooz
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Re: Dog food

Post by Sooz »

Yeah, Purina is not a very good dog food. There is a very good website that gives reviews on dog food:

http://dogfoodanalysis.com

Check it out; you may find something you like better.
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." – Unknown

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Post by Barb Wright »

If Maggie had been fed in the morning and vomited that food in the evening then she has a serious problem with her stomach since the food should have been long gone by evening. In fact, with a properly working digestive system, most of the food, if just ordinary kibble, should have been out of her stomach within the hour of eating it. She may be having a motility dysfunction...I'd get this investigated.

And agree with Sooz, Purina does not rank very high as quality food for a dog. You should change to a grain-free animal protein based high quality brand. The same food day in day out, year after year, with no variety, even with a high quality brand, is far from the proper way to feed a dog. Every animal needs variety in their diet, and dogs especially need variety in protein (MEAT) sources. Money saved on buying inexpensive dog food is eventually spent 10,000 fold to your vet for health problems that are the result of poor nutrition. Health is sustained by optimum quality nutrition/nutrients....these are the tools that the body uses to maintain balance and proper function. Works that way on humans too!
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13

Scarlett
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Post by Scarlett »

Thanks you two. I will check it out.

rtropeano
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by rtropeano »

I echo what the others said re - food. Before I was aware of the different quality of dog food available. I was feeding Purina Pro Plan. Daisy kept getting eye and ear infections. Once I switched to a better quality food - ear and eye infections went away. In Daisy's case I think grain was an issue.

Where I am - one vet visit, no meds is $60 - $65 - add a med and nearing $100 - if they stain the eye...forget it...near $150-$200...compare that to a higher quality dog food - around here about $50 - 70 depending on which brand...its' cheaper to get the high quality food.

Plus usually higher quality dog food requires smaller portions and smaller food because there is less filler.

Good luck getting your pupster better :)
Rose

"I didn't do nothing, Mama!"
Daisy Mae, CGC, TDI, CTL1-F

Molimo
Puppy

Post by Molimo »

The pet food industry is an incredible facet of the American economy: last year America spent over fifty billion dollars on their pets alone! More importantly than this, though, is how the market for dog food affects your pet’s health and quality of life. Fortunately, advances in pet food nutrition and ingredients ensure excellent dog food options for owners who do the research to make the best choice for their “best friend.”

Overall Market - While dog food production might be considered a business sector hit hard by the recent economic downfalls, buying trends may actually indicate otherwise. Pet food sales have steadily increased every year since 1994, according to the American Pet Product Association. While many buyers shop more prudently now than a few years ago, pet food is still integral in the market. Since over 40% of individuals (in a 2011 poll) indicate that they own a dog, the dog food business appears to continue as an integral market sector. Some of largest growth in the entire pet food industry are in dog food: Packaged Facts reports that sales of premium dog foods are among the fastest growing pet food sectors. Interestingly, natural pet food more than doubled since 2005!

Industry Trends - What are current trends in dog food industry? Many dog food providers appear to cater to a specific audience. Where dog food companies may have formerly provided homogeneous products, major brands today often focus on one genre of buyer or another. Some companies only use natural products, only buy regional produce, and only operate from an environmental perspective. These selling points often cater to higher-end customers, and present the image of the best possible dog food for pets. On the other hand, some companies focus on price. While they may sell a good product, these companies often advertise value over quality.