Good Friday at the vets

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Good Friday at the vets

Post by adele »

We had an emergency visit to the vets last night. I was taking Lola for her evening walk when she started to vibrate as if she had Parkinson's disease and then she started walking like dogs do the first time they wear booties (lifting her legs really high). So we turned around and came straight home. DH took one look and said I should call the vets - he usually recommends waiting for awhile. While I was on the phone with the vet Lola threw up. So we took her in. She was foaming at the mouth and shaking like crazy when we got there. The vet did an exam and took a blood sample (they don't have equipment to do a tox screen). We were there for a couple of hours. By the time we left Lola had stopped foaming and the shaking was reduced considerably. By bedtime last night Lola was totally back to herself. This morning she seems fine.

So, her blood work was totally normal. We are assuming that she got into something toxic - I've no idea what - we just don't have toxic stuff around the house for her to get into... Vet has no ideas.. anyone ever seen anything like this?

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Re: Good Friday at the vets

Post by Barb Wright »

What was in the throw-up....anything you could recognize? Do you have toads or frogs in your area? Poisonous spiders? The lifting of the legs sounds like a pain or burning sensation either in the feet or legs. Definitely either ingested or absorbed something toxic....perhaps throwing "it" up saved her life.

You might put her on some milk thistle...if she did get into something toxic the liver will be doing a lot of work and could use some support.

Anyway, whew, glad she is okay and continues to be normal.
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13

MaggieRocks
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by MaggieRocks »

Wow-that's scary! I'm glad she is ok.

dmedric
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by dmedric »

Happy to hear that Lola is better. That's really scary.

janet909
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by janet909 »

OMG, how horrible for you and your DH (not to mention poor Lola). No idea what it could have been but just so glad that she's back to normal. Scary to say the least.

britlover
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by britlover »

So glad Lola is OK. Your quick action was critical to her survival. The only experience I've had even remotely similar was when my Piper got violently ill. Found out the birdseed I had picked up the day before and filled the feeders with had raisins as a filler, which can be toxic to dogs. I had noticed him hanging around the feeder and figured he was eating sunflower seeds dropped by the birds. It wasn't until he became very distressed and vomited that realized I was looking at a pile of raisins and had a bad situation. Fortunately quick action and 36 hours of IV drips and meds and he was OK. You just never know ~ something as simple as birdseed can be toxic to a dog.

adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by adele »

Thanks everyone for your concern. Essentially, the problem went away by itself. We were at the vets for a couple of hours and at the end the shaking had diminished somewhat and since the blood tests showed normal the vet decided we could hold off on the IV until morning. By morning Lola was back to her old self. Puking may well have saved her life... but I don't know.

There was nothing in the vomit that I could see was unusual, Some kibble and bone bits. The shaking wasn't like pain shaking... unfortunately I know what Lola's pain shaking looks like :roll: and this was different. This was more like extreme twitching. The vet said it look neurological to her too.

I sure wish I knew what she got into and where she got it because whatever it was it may still be in her environment. I did have her off leash for her morning walk (about 8:30 am) and the symptoms started very quickly at around 4:30 (one minute she was normal the next she was twitching)... I don't know if she could have eaten something in the morning or if she found some poison in our yard...

On a slightly different note,... next morning I let her off leash (in a different place)... and this is how she came back to me... really, I gotta stop letting that dog off leash but she loves it so much I keep giving in. (She is fine a little tear in her ear flap).

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

You don't think it was a seizure, do you? Oh yes, the torn ear, blood everywhere, think your dog has sliced her neck open look!! It took a few times before I caught on and didn't panic.
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla

adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by adele »

We talked about a seizure but this lasted about 3 hours and then gradually faded so that'd be one heck of a seizure - wouldn't it?

Ya, I didn't panic with the bloody neck but since I had just paid for an emergency visit to the vet the day before I was a bit exasperated. Sometimes I feel like I must be the worst dog owner in the world... she's always bleeding or hurt or whatever... the only way to stop it is to keep her on a short leash and well neither one of us would be happy with that solution. I really believe she needs to run and hunt to be happy. You should see that little stub vibrate when she is off leash, it never vibrates like that when she's tied up.

mkilcz
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by mkilcz »

adele wrote:I really believe she needs to run and hunt to be happy
Oh Adele, I hear you... that is Rocket to a tee! He has come in from the field bloody and torn many times, but nothing makes him happier. I could never take that away from him, its what he lives for.
And I do have to say, its absolutely amazing how much blood a tiny tear on an ear flap can produce.

Marge

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Post by Barb Wright »

mkilcz wrote: And I do have to say, its absolutely amazing how much blood a tiny tear on an ear flap can produce.
Ain't that the TRUTH :shock:

And I agree....they need to have some freedom and be a hunting dog every so often, even if it is just going after squirrels or bunnies. We just do the best we can to keep them safe, but we must know that their psyche needs to be able to take flight or where is the joy in living for a dog with a long ancestral history of hunting? We keep our fingers crossed that all the "nicks and rips" are all show and not real damage.
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13