Death from China continues

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Death from China continues

Post by Barb Wright »

Read this article all the way through....at the end there is a good suggestion for making your own chicken jerky treats.

http://tinyurl.com/8xtgbag
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13

Sooz
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Re: Death from China continues

Post by Sooz »

Great article. I've been following this issue for awhile now and the lack of results is maddening. You gotta know that Nestle and Del Monte are pressuring the govt to not act. Maybe a brand boycott is in order.

I didn't know that homemade treats were so easy to make!
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." – Unknown

rtropeano
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by rtropeano »

Easy and cheaper. I make Salmon treats for Daisy that are simply flour, egg, and one can of cheap salmon. All you do is bake it.
One of Daisy's favorite treats is Roast Beef, plan and simple. If you try to buy 100% beef treats from the store - say the freeze dried "pure bites" it's like $10 for 5 or 6 ounces.
Even when beef is high - I can a large roast for around $10 and that makes enough treats for months. Haven't figure out how to freeze dry it though - so if anyone knows, I'm all ears.. :)

Rose

"I didn't do nothing, Mama!"
Daisy Mae, CGC, TDI, CTL1-F

janet909
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by janet909 »

Well, I was one of those who was buying the chicken strips from China and have stopped. I am now making my own chicken jerky. I have modified the recipe in the article because I wasn't really getting jerky. FYI - I roast the strips for 2 hours @ 180 degrees then flip them and bake for another 2 hours. Then, I turn the oven off without opening the door and let the chicken sit in there for about 2 hours while the oven cools. It really dries the strips out.

Rose, what is your method on cooking the roast beef ???? With 3 dogs DEMANDING treats, I need to get ahead of the game.

I have made enough chicken strips once to freeze a bag. That worked well.

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Post by Barb Wright »

rtropeano wrote: Haven't figure out how to freeze dry it though - so if anyone knows, I'm all ears.. :) Rose
I looked into freeze drying fruits, veggies, and meat quite some time ago. It's a rather involved process to do it right. However, you can sort of achieve the same effect by placing the item on a cookie sheet, putting it in your freezer UNCOVERED, and leaving it for weeks. It will eventually dry/dehydrate. But this isn't really a satisfactory method.

Better yet, you can dehydrate everything with a good dehydrator...I use a Excalibur dehydrator and it does a great job. Add a vacuum sealer (Foodsaver has a good one that also vacuum seals jars) and you can preserve just about anything. Dehydrating preserves almost all the nutrients and most foods re-hydrate quite well. I do a lot of this now that I have a garden. I also can a lot of stuff, including meat and fish. It's a great way to save money....buy stuff in bulk or on sale and preserve it!!! Been doing this for years :)

Lisa

Post by Lisa »

Ya know, my dogs favorite treat for training is just cooked beef. I buy a pound or so of stew meat, cook it up in a frying pan, add in some kind of seasoning, while it's cooking (cajun spices, garlic, cinnamon, etc), then dice it up in to bite sized bits. I put it in freezer bags, then take out a handful whenever I'm training. If I remember before class, I'll put some in the fridge to defrost, but if I forget, the dogs don't mind it frozen, and in the summer, it thaws pretty quick at class.

I also use whatever else I have around the house - cherrios for treats when I'm training on dirt (easy to see when tossed on the ground), string cheese, carrots, ice cubes, etc.
Image Image RIP Madi
Charm-future agility champ
Britty- RIP March 27, 2014
Buster-CGC, OA, OF, NAJ, APK, APJ, APG, APR, PD

janet909
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by janet909 »

rtropeano wrote:Even when beef is high - I can a large roast for around $10 and that makes enough treats for months.
Rose
I'm curious how Rose does this. Also, do you freeze the baked salmon after you make it? Perhaps I'll have to PM her but maybe she'll see this post :P :P

rtropeano
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by rtropeano »

Janet, I do it very similar to the way Lisa does. I add whatever spices the dog likes (in Daisy's case, some garlic usually does the trick) and I put the roast in the oven with a litter water and cook it at 350 for around and 1 1/2 or two, depending on the size of the roast.

I've also cooked it in a pot on top of the stove with a little water and little simmer for a few hours. I save the broth for the cat's food (I have picky felines at times) and then dice up the roast in little cubes then put it in a ziplock back in the freezer. Very easy. This also works well for people who like to delivery treats directly from their mouth LOL.

Frankly, I use a lot of leftovers too, as long as they don't have anything really spicy on it - or onions. When I cook chicken, I put the scraps in a little pot and simmer it with water and that gives me extra treats too. I figure the chicken I'm cutting off of human grade meat, is probably better than what she's getting in her dog food and I save money this way.

Barb - thanks for the tip about the dehydrator, I'll have to try it.
Rose

"I didn't do nothing, Mama!"
Daisy Mae, CGC, TDI, CTL1-F

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Re: Death from China continues...more products

Post by Barb Wright »

FDA warning on more products made in China.

http://tinyurl.com/bl9okpw

Personally, I would boycott all products made by the US manufacturers, Nestle Purina and Del Monte, until they clean up their act :evil: :evil: