Ocular Lymphoma

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

lanem688
Puppy

Ocular Lymphoma

Post by lanem688 »

Hi all I am new to the Brittany boards and a fairly new Brittany owner. We have had Murphy since July 3, 2011 he was born May 7, 2011. His first birthday is coming up on Monday. About a month ago we received devastating news that he has ocular lymphoma. It started with his 3rd eyelid showing in his eye and got progressively worse in the next week. Our vet had him on medication because he believed it was an upper respiratory infection. After his eye continued to get worse he recommend we take him to an opthamologist. An ultrasound was performed and samples taken and it was determined our puppy had ocular lymphoma. We started chemo 2 days later and he just received his third treatment yesterday. They started him with the CHOP protocol drugs and after not responding to the first two he was given doxorubicin yesterday. If he does respond to this drug they will probably discontinue the other drugs and only use this for treatment.

I have been trying to find information about ocular lymphoma in dogs, but it is rare and information is hard to come by. I am looking for ways we can provide some holistic treatment along with the chemo therapy and some diet supplements that could potentially help him out. He currently is eating Blue Buffalo Chicken and Rice adult version. The vets tell me this is fine, but if there is a way I can supplement with herbs and vegetables I am interested in giving it a shot. If any one has experience with a cancer diet for Brittanys I would love your input! And I will be sure to keep y'all update on his condition.

This is a picture of me and my baby taken about 2 weeks ago. As you can see his right eye is the one affected.

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Re: Ocular Lymphoma

Post by Barb Wright »

Oh, this is such a darn shame :cry: Just so sorry to hear about Murphy, and so young too. I hope we here can give you some help, just know that we will be sending out positive vibes that you can beat this disease.

Here are a couple web sites that have diet suggestions for dogs with cancer:

http://www.dogaware.com/health/cancer.html
http://www.b-naturals.com/newsletter/ca ... pplements/

Nutritional support is so important when fighting any disease.....the body can do miraculous things given the right nutritional tools to work with.

"They" do some pretty astounding things these days and we will all have our paws crossed that he responds well to treatment. Please do keep us in the loop on what you do and how things progress. Murphy is quite the handsome boy.
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13

mkilcz
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by mkilcz »

I'm so sorry to hear about Murphy's illness. I can't offer any advice about his diet, but I will keep him in my prayers. I'm sure this has been very hard for you and your family. He's a beautiful pup, and so very lucky to have such loving care.

Marge

rtropeano
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by rtropeano »

Sorry to hear about Murphy's eye, I can't offer any advice, but will send positive healing vibes your way.
Rose

"I didn't do nothing, Mama!"
Daisy Mae, CGC, TDI, CTL1-F

lanem688
Puppy

Post by lanem688 »

Barb Thanks for the websites! We tried switching his diet to Blue Wilderness Salmon which is the highest Omega 3's I could find. The first night he gobbled it up and then wouldn't touch it. So we switched to the grain free chicken which he seems to be enjoying and are going to supplement with fish oil pills.

The tumors don't appear to have gone down much from his last chemo treatment, but they aren't getting worse. He was feeling pretty bad after last Thursday's treatment, but now he appears to have a lot more energy. We go back to the vet next Thursday for evaluation and possible next treatment.

Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers. Murphy really appreciates them. We were looking to adopt from the rescue before all this started. He hopes to get better so he can get a playmate.

lanem688
Puppy

Post by lanem688 »

I wanted to let you guys know we made the decision to say goodbye to Murphy this past Saturday. He still had tons of Brittany energy up until his few last weeks, when we could tell he was ready to let go. He was a great dog and definitely made us fall in love with the breed. I have included a photo from his first birthday (5/7). We will never forget our first baby. I really hope no one ever has to go through this, but if you do please contact me if you have any questions or just need someone to talk to.

Rachelle
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by Rachelle »

I'm so very sorry for your loss. It's heartbreaking to have to say goodbye, especially to a dog so young. Murphy was incredibly handsome.
Henry

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

I'm so so sorry and such a terrible decision to have to make and especially for such a young dog. But Murphy did you a great favor by showing you what a wonderful breed Britts are. Once you're hooked ... you're hooked!
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla

britlover
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by britlover »

I'm so, so sorry. Murphy was a beautiful boy. Thank you for blessing his short life with love and caring, and for giving him the ultimate final gift of letting him cross the bridge when he was ready.
Piper, and Bryce

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Post by Barb Wright »

Oh, the worst of days :cry: There is nothing to say except you did the best for him your could, but in the end, though he knew that, he had to tell you it was time for him to go to the Bridge. He'll wait for you there. With time your heart will mend, especially if the good times and memories are what you think of most often. When you are ready, there is no finer tribute to Murphy than to let another Britt fill that empty space in your lives.

Most of us here have had to make the sad journey of a beloved dog leaving our lives. But, in fact, they never really leave....they are always still in our hearts and memories, never really gone. You will find that thought to be true. Hold that thought close. (((((((Hugs))))))
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13

rtropeano
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by rtropeano »

Oh god, I'm so very sorry that you had to say goodbye to Murphy - such a young boy. Rest assured that you did everything you could for him, but unfortunately, it was just his time.

My deepest sympathy to you and your family.
Rose

"I didn't do nothing, Mama!"
Daisy Mae, CGC, TDI, CTL1-F