Toad Question

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

mkilcz
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Toad Question

Post by mkilcz »

Always something! About two weeks ago the dogs started going nuts over something that is living under our deck. Turns out that the mysterious creature is a toad. He’s a cute little guy, and I don’t want to see him get hurt. I’m also concerned about the dogs getting sick, should the worst happen and one of them “gets” the toad. What to do? I’ve tried to catch the toad, but he just hides someplace where I can’t reach him. What exactly are the dangers to the dogs? Any information or suggestions would be appreciated.

Marge

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Re: Toad Question

Post by Barb Wright »

Did a little research and it seems the only toads that are dangerously toxic (seizures, convulsions, death) to dogs are found in the desert southwest, Texas and Florida. But it appears most other toads as well have the ability to exude a milky substance if they are roughly handled, such as being picked up by a dog. This stuff is their defence and causes painful stinging, hence the frothing from the mouth in dogs who have mouthed or bitten a toad. There can be some other serious affects, especially in dogs who already have some health issues.

We have the very dangerous Sonoran Desert toad here in AZ, so I have worked with Cassie to ignore them. However, I never let her go out at night in the yard without taking a flashlight and going with her and watching for toads, and snakes too ! I would think that if you live in an area where there are toads that some aversive training would be a good idea. Some dogs will learn to leave them alone after just one bad episode from biting them, but other dogs go just the opposite way, never learn, and are going to "get'em" !!

Seems no matter where you are there is some demon out there to watch out for :(
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13

dmedric
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Re: Toad Question

Post by dmedric »

We have the same problem -- the ugly brown toad. Cooper and Belle are obsessed with it. My husband put one out of the yard last night, but they continue to search for it every time we let them out. No one has eaten one yet (and hopefully won't).