Oral Epulis - UPDATE 12/17

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Oral Epulis - UPDATE 12/17

Post by Cindy »

About a month ago we noticed that Kayla's lower gum was red/inflamed around a couple of teeth. We assumed she had bumped her mouth on something either catching the Frisbee, going after a stick, etc. The redness disappeared but the bump got larger even though there was no pain involved. I did a little "digging around" on the internet and decided it was some kind of tumor and she should be seen by the vet. So off we go (I've been there for the last 4 Mondays in a row) feeling very uneasy about the situation. The vet looked at it and said it was a very common tumor called an epulis and most likely, at her age, NOT cancer. YIPPEE!!!!!! He took a careful measurement and we decided to wait a couple of months to have it rechecked unless it starts getting inflamed or noticeably growing. He said he can surgically remove it and generally they do that when the dog is getting their teeth cleaned but Kayla's teeth don't need cleaning right now. So, a few dog biscuits later, a tour of the clinic where they store all the dog food, a critique by the groomer about the haircut I gave her, and Kayla was good to go. I'm feeling greatly relieved. :D

PS The vet said she had the heartbeat of an athlete - slow and steady! Another thing to be happy about at age 11 1/2.
Last edited by Cindy on Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:25 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla

PCTech01
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Re: Oral Epulis

Post by PCTech01 »

It is good to read that you had a positive outcome!

So spill the beans, what was wrong with the haircut?

PC

AuntieMom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by AuntieMom »

Yes, what a relief to hear Kayla does not have cancer! Your heart must have felt light as a feather at that moment you received the news your girl is fine. And has such a healthy heart. :D
Cindy wrote: So, a few dog biscuits later, a tour of the clinic where they store all the dog food, a critique by the groomer about the haircut I gave her, and Kayla was good to go.
Wondering if Kayla was the one leading the tour. With her nose. Or Brittany curiosity. Or both. :P
Trapper, CharLee & Kallie

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

Yes, what a relief to hear Kayla does not have cancer!
I suppose there's still a "chance" it could be cancer if it starts to grow or change quickly but the vet really didn't think that would be the case so we're just going with that idea.
Wondering if Kayla was the one leading the tour. With her nose. Or Brittany curiosity. Or both.
Yes, Kayla leads EVERY tour. I've never seen her walk up to a person she didn't know or into a place she didn't think she owned!!
So spill the beans, what was wrong with the haircut?
As for the haircut well ... It's starting to get cooler (finally) and I didn't want to just shave her close with the blade so I put a comb over the blade which leaves her coat about 3/4" long. Unfortunately, it left her with that "corduroy" look (or seersucker as one of the people there pointed out) - sort of striped. I've done this before and in another week you won't know the difference. She still looks pretty darn cute and you can see all of her spots.

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Post by Barb Wright »

BoyOBoy, all the scary things the body can come up with...it's enough to keep a person rattled 24/7. I think "benign", along with "not a problem", are my mostest favorite expressions. Paws crossed that all continues in a "benign" fashion.

Hair cuts....I had to laugh, happy that I am not the only one that has to explain why my dog looks a little "chopped up" from time to time :lol: :lol: Even "wash 'n wear" dogs need a little sprucing from time to time, but same with us what you see is what you get, not show quality grooming but it still works :wink:
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13

adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by adele »

Just getting around to reading this now. So glad Kayla is okay!

Lola once got covered in pine sap... I cut out all the bits... I thought it was a very good approximation of mange. (Took forever to grow back).

Alifaire
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Post by Alifaire »

Sorry for the delay in responding to your post - but glad Kayla is healthy!

Victor is back at the vet today having another epulis removed. The first one was benign and the vet is sure this one is also. This epulis is pushing out between the front teeth where the first tooth was lost from the first epulis.

So the vet is explaining how she is going to perform the procedure and asks "do you want me to remove this fatty tumor also?" :shock: What fatty tumor?? I always have my hands all over my dog and never felt the tumor between his front legs. At least I didn't fret over it since I didn't know about it.

Hope Kayla's epulis stays small and not problematic!

MACH Casabergen's Victor Gentry CD BN RE MXS MJS MXF CGC ATD

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

Glad you responded because Kayla has a follow up visit next Tuesday. We both think the epulis has gotten larger. It's located right in front of her lower teeth in the middle. Not very attractive (although I don't care) when she smiles! So hopefully our imagination is playing tricks on us and the vet will send us home for the cost of an exam! I do feel better knowing Victor has had 2 of them and both were benign.

Alifaire
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Post by Alifaire »

Victor is home now and is sleeping. The epulis was bigger than the vet realized but she is certain she got it all. She is also certain that since the first one was benign that this is also - plus it looks just like the first one. The vet said many people either don't notice them or just leave them alone until they affect the dog's ability to eat. She did mention that they can become calcified in the middle if not removed.

Victor had laser surgery so he should recover quickly. This time they sent him home with Rimadyl. He's not needed it before but the vet thought his mouth would be uncomfortable tomorrow given the size of the tumor.

Hope Kayla's exam goes well!

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Re: Oral Epulis - UPDATE

Post by Cindy »

So here's the update ... we noticed that the growth on Kayla's mouth had gotten bigger by about 50%. It still isn't botherng her nor is it inflamed. But the vet saw her today and said we should go ahead and remove as much of it as possible, have it biopsied, and see what we're dealing with. She's having surgery a week from Thursday so keep your fingers crossed it's nothing worse than a benign tumor. I do worry about her having surgery now that she's 12 but she is also in great shape. We're going ahead and getting her teeth cleaned while she's under and she doesn't even have to spend the night. Stay tuned ....

Alifaire
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Post by Alifaire »

Is your vet using the laser to remove the tumor? It sure helps the healing process.

Victor sends his 'get through it and get well' wishes to Kayla! He highly recommends the scrambled egg and sweet potato menu for a the first week! :lol:

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

Good question! John was responsible for the vet visit today and didn't quite "absorb" all the details. But he "thinks" the vet said something about laser.

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Re: Oral Epulis - UPDATE 12/13

Post by Cindy »

Kayla had her surgery today and came through with flying colors. The vet actually found another small growth in her mouth so removed both. The larger one was on her lower gum line in front and he said there's about a dime size place that will eventually scab over. Both tumors have been sent for examination so keeping our fingers crossed it's not cancer. John is on his way to pick her up now so she'll be home for dinner. Guess she's on a canned food diet for a bit - she'll LOVE that!

AuntieMom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by AuntieMom »

Whew! Glad she did so well. Paws crossed for good news on the biopsy. :D
Trapper, CharLee & Kallie

adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by adele »

Yes! Its so tough to have them in surgery. I'm so glad she's okay. We're all waiting for the news.

Love the new signature picture. That's one way to get all 3 dogs into the same frame.