How can you tell if your Britt is too heavy?

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Icspots
Puppy Kindergarten Grad
Puppy Kindergarten Grad

How can you tell if your Britt is too heavy?

Post by Icspots »

My NBRAN rescue has been with us for 9 weeks now. He is very tall (24 at the shoulder) and was very skinny and had no muscles after his rescue. He now weighs around 49-50lbs and his legs have filled out lovely. His ribs are no longer are visable but I think we may have reached his ideal weight as there is a small layer of fat under his skin there now. Is it just a matter now of cutting back a little with his food? He gets a lot of exercise, five walks a day for a total of about 4 miles minimum but now with the crappy weather runs at the dog park aren't as frequent so there are only the daily walks and the backyard running happening.

Lisa

Re: How can you tell if your Britt is too heavy?

Post by Lisa »

The ideal weight kinda depends on what you're doing with your dog. A dog that's hunting or doing performance sports (agility, flyball, dock diving) is generally kept at a lower weight than an average pet. For a pet dog that is not expected to maintain a high level of activity and performance, you want them heavy enough to have a thin layer of fat over the hips, ribs, and spine...just enough for the dog to not feel bony, but still be able to feel the bones with a little bit of pressure. So, if you just rest your hand on the hips, you don't want to feel the hip bones, but if you press down a little, you should be able to feel them. The dog should have a visible waist when viewed from above, and a visible "tuck up" in the belly when viewed from the side.

At 24 inches, I'd imagine 50 pounds is about ideal, maybe 55, depending on how leggy the dog is.

So, to maintain that weight, you'll probably have to experiment a little. You could cut back his food by 1/4 cup and feed that amount for about two weeks. If he starts dropping weight, go back to your original amount. If he keeps gaining weight, decrease by another 1/4 cup. Also, watch the treat intake. Some of them can really pack on the weight, so keep that in mind when you are figuring out how much to feed.

On most dogs of a normal weight, you'll start to see a change in weight from an increase or decrease in food amounts within about 10 days.
Image Image RIP Madi
Charm-future agility champ
Britty- RIP March 27, 2014
Buster-CGC, OA, OF, NAJ, APK, APJ, APG, APR, PD

Icspots
Puppy Kindergarten Grad
Puppy Kindergarten Grad

Post by Icspots »

Thank you for your reply. Sounds like we are on the right track with him. I have been reading this site since we got our Jack but I didn't want to post any questions until I was sure that there was no chance of his previous owners ever gettin him back. I e-mailed NBRAN to find out what my rights are and apparently animals are considered chattel and if a stray is picked up and placed too bad, especially when the animal wasn't in good shape when it was found. Apparently where Jack was found no one bothered to put up flyers or look for him. Their loss is our gain since he is a fine dog, has great manners and for a Britt is the most laid back un-bouncy dog there is. Perfect for first time dog owners.

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Post by Barb Wright »

Icspots wrote:....and for a Britt is the most laid back un-bouncy dog there is. Perfect for first time dog owners.
Had to laugh because you may be in for a surprise :lol: :lol: Once he starts to put on some weight, get his health in good stead, and starts to feel secure in his new world, you may see a different dog emerge :) Not to worry, a healthy, happy, confident Britt will still be a fine companion. Since Jack already has "manners" you are ahead of the game.

Looking forward to hearing more about Jack and his new life with you.
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13

Alifaire
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Post by Alifaire »

In our house, if DH is feeding the Britt... the Britt is too heavy :roll:

Victor is 20" at the shoulder and was 32 lbs. when he was running agility. He's now 38.5 and that's way too heavy - he's starting to get the 'Cocker Spaniel waddle roll' :( Bad Daddy!!!

MACH Casabergen's Victor Gentry CD BN RE MXS MJS MXF CGC ATD

panhong
Puppy

Post by panhong »

What dog food is recommended for overweight dogs?
My dog is overweight and I need to help her lose weight. I am going to have her exercise more, but I would also like to change her food. What brand/type of dog food is recommended to help with this?