Canine Diabetes

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Lisa

Canine Diabetes

Post by Lisa »

Anyboby have any experience with canine diabetes? I'm beginning to suspect it in my new foster. Won't know for sure until I can get a hold of his old medical records and then get him to the vet tomorrow.

Here's what I'm seeing, though. He's 14 months old, a bit overweight, and just a big boy in general. He pants constantly, is draining water bowl after water bowl, constantly urinating, and he's wet in the house 6 times since I brought him home yesterday. According to the previous owner, this dog is housetrained. It's almost like he just can't make it outside and just stops and goes. If the water bowl is empty, he whines until I fill it. Then, he drains the bowl and licks it out. Then, not 15 -20 minutes later, he has to potty, then back to the water bowl!

Any thoughts on what else this might be??

Thanks!

Lisa
Image Image RIP Madi
Charm-future agility champ
Britty- RIP March 27, 2014
Buster-CGC, OA, OF, NAJ, APK, APJ, APG, APR, PD

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Post by Barb Wright »

Lisa: Until you get some blood tests done I would limit the water intake. It is entirely possible this is a stress syndrome...and of course, if he has unlimited water he will have to urinate often. There is a lot of info available on diabetes, but until you have a diagnosis I wouldn't be doing anything in regards that disease except getting the blood work done.

If something else is afoot requiring the obsessive water intake that should also show up (hopefully :roll: ) in the tests. But, in the meantime, limit the water, check often (twice a day) for dehydration, and get the blood work done. I wouldn't give him free accesses to the water bowl. Try a little rescue remedy to try to get him calmed down...he may just be seeking solace in a pleasing and "known" activity. This is what I would do in these circumstances.
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13

Brenda Dom
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Post by Brenda Dom »

My mother had a Lhasa with diabetes back in the 60s. She did drink a lot of water and did urinate frequently but she had lost weight before she was dianosed. I don't remember any panting. My mother gave her insulin shots to control it. She was about 8 when she was diagnosed and lived to 14. Back then Mom had to follow her around and catch a urine sample to test. I'm sure things have come a long way since then.

I have a friend who has a dog with Cushing's who drains the water bowl and urinates frequently but I *think* Cushings almost always strikes older dogs - Kayla is a 10 year old doberman.

Could probably be a million things - I'd wait to see what the vet says before I got too shook up. BTW, why was this dog given up? Some folks are not completely truthful when they're trying to get rid of a dog. One of my neighbors adveritsed her 16 mo. old golden retriever in the paper as a "trained hunter" for $2,500.00. When no one was interested, she dumped him at the local humane society... That's the short version of why we have a 16 mo. old golden retreiver who is not trained in any way, but is a very nice dog, sigh.

Let us know what you find out. Hope it's something simple and easily fixed.

Brenda
Kelcy, Susie, Bodie and Max
"Some of us learn forgiveness by studying the lives of saints. And some of us keep dogs. . . ." - Charles Gusewelle

Lisa

Post by Lisa »

Thanks Barb and Brenda. I've got a vet appt for this afternoon and have called to have the old vet records faxed to me.

Reason for surrender was listed as "wife didn't like him."

He's a wonderful dog, so I'm hoping it's nothing serious!
Image Image RIP Madi

Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Dave »

Lisa, He is a nice looking dog :D I tend to agree with the other posts . At his age and just having his life turned upside down , I'd tend to suspect his being nervous is a likely cause . I'd limit his water intake and reassure him . At the vet have a CBC done and check for the diabetes as well as kidney function . If it was kidney disease you'd most likely see things such as vomitting and lack of appetite . Good luck and let us know . 8) Dave

Lisa

Post by Lisa »

Thanks guys....was just a case of foster mom panic. Simon's blood tests all came back normal, so it's down to just limiting water and back to housetraining 101 again. Vet basically just thinks Simon is weird! I was a bit worried about hip dysplasia in him, because his running gait strongly resembles Britty's (she's got moderate HD and has a very clear "bunny hop" when running). But, after watching him sit, lay like a froggie with his back legs behind him, and consulting with the vet, we've decided it's just another Simon weirdness.

Overall, he's just a strange boy. He's a bit of a drooler, weird gait when running, obsessive about water drinking, and is missing some of his teeth (likely just never came in!). Oh, and strangest of all, he has yet to realize that Britty is the queen of this household, and it's driving poor Britty nuts! Simon just won't give her the respect she thinks she's due. :lol: Usually only takes a few altercations before a new dog knows that she's the boss and second only to me in all things. So far, Simon's just clueless...she's had to warn him off of her food at every meal, had to warn him off of her sleeping spots, even had to tell him off when she was tired of playing!

Fortunately, I've already got a family interested in Simon...so Britty won't have to put up with his lack of respect for long!
Image Image RIP Madi

Karen_P
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Karen_P »

At 14 months old, they're all ding bats. If he hasn't been well socialized with other dogs, Britty will probably have to be a bit more stern with her warnings. And his bunny hop may be a result of poor muscle development from lack of exercise. I've seen it a few times when dogs were never allowed to run off leash....they're just spastic until their muscles develop.
Home of DC Britt Haven's Blaze of Glory
http://www.woodlandbrittanys.com

Lisa

Post by Lisa »

If he hasn't been well socialized with other dogs, Britty will probably have to be a bit more stern with her warnings. And his bunny hop may be a result of poor muscle development from lack of exercise. I've seen it a few times when dogs were never allowed to run off leash....they're just spastic until their muscles develop.
:roll: Britty actually took fur off of Simon today when he decided that she should share her dinner bowl. Of course, then, she was just ticked at him, and started guarding everything. Much as I hated to, Britty got a time out...so did Simon, though. Now, the big goober keeps running up to her and poking her with his nose then bouncing away...she's gonna get after him again in a minute...

I hadn't thought about lack of muscle development, but you could be right. Or maybe just improper development. His walking gait ins fine, trotting is fine, it's the full out run that's just strange...kinda a half bunny hop, half run. It actually makes him much slower than my bunny hoppin' Border Collie x Brit!

Oh well, I've just got a strange boy here!
Image Image RIP Madi

pietrzyk
Puppy

Canine Diabetes

Post by pietrzyk »

I'm posting this here, even though Simon got a clean bill of health on the diabetes (Good for you, Simon), because I do have a lot of experience with this disease.

My Katie came to me through the rescue in June 1996 and just passed away last Wednesday.

Katie was 4 when I adopted her through a Rescue volunteer in York County, PA.(I don't know if it was ABR or NBR). Her first owner had died suddenly, and she soon adjusted to her new life. In 1997 she was diagnosed with and insulinoma and she had surgery to remove part of her pancreas in November 1997. Following her surgery she became an insulin-dependant diabetic who needed insulin shots twice a day. The diabetes caused cateracts and she had surgery to remove them in 1999. For awhile I was her seeing eye people. Despite an range of health problems that would have daunted anyone, Katie was the most loving and sweet-tempered animal anyone could imagine. She bewitched all the vets and everyone she met. She loved to take her people for walks and loved to shower you with kisses. She was ill at the end for about two weeks, and was hospitalized for the last couple of days and decided it was time to go.

I'm grateful to the rescue for nearly 9 years of a wonderful relationship with one of the most remarkable and loving souls I've ever known. Katie will be deeply missed.

Her diabetes was unusual, in that it's origin was the insulinoma. But it was really quite manageable for the most part. The disease complicates everything for dogs, just as it does for people, but a good life with diabetes is absolutely possible. The most important thing I would stress, although it's probably not something anyone here doesn't do already, is to train your vet. No one knows your animal's health as well as you do. It's best when it's a real working relationship and a diabetic will always need extra medical care and attention. Wounds don't heal easily and Katie got cornea scratches pretty frequently in the last 3 years.

So, if anyone looks here for information on canine diabetes, I would be happy to provide more information about Katie's experiences.

pietrzyk

Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Dave »

pietrzyk,
Welcome to our discussion board :D
I'm sorry to hear you lost Katie and "THANK YOU" for adopting a rescue dog . It sounds like she had a good life and was a joy to have around . It's always nice having so many knowlegable people posting her . Jump right in anytime 8) Dave