grapes

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Post Reply
marz
Puppy
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:07 pm

grapes

Post by marz »

Hate that this is a first post, but our 12wk old pup grabbed and ate a couple grapes when my son dropped what he had.
Is there anything I should do? She's asleep in her crate now, but I'm worried.

Lisa
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4031
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2004 8:42 pm
Location: McKinney, TX

Re: grapes

Post by Lisa »

Grapes are a weird thing. In some dogs, they can be incredibly toxic and in other dogs there is no issue at all.

I will say that when my adult Brittany ate about 10 grapes, I called the ER vet, and they had me bring him in to induce vomiting and gave him activated charcoal to absorb anything that was already digested.
Image Image RIP Madi
Charm-future agility champ
Britty- RIP March 27, 2014
Buster-CGC, OA, OF, NAJ, APK, APJ, APG, APR, PD

marz
Puppy
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:07 pm

Re: grapes

Post by marz »

Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it. I called the vet and they told me to just keep an eye on her for vomiting or anything.

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police
Posts: 6851
Joined: Wed May 12, 2004 12:45 pm
Location: Montana

Re: grapes

Post by Barb Wright »

If it was only two grapes I sure wouldn't worry about it too much. Grapes are not so much the problem for dogs, it's raisins in large quantities (like a 1/4 cup) that seem to be toxic to some dogs.

Hope all goes well.
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13

britlover
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter
Posts: 250
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:16 am

Re: grapes

Post by britlover »

my Britt ate raisins once, they were in a birdseed mix that I had filled my backyard feeder with. He was VIOLENTLY ill within 4-6 hours. I didn't know there were raisins in the bird food until I realized what I was cleaning up off the floor... and then I started counting. I found at least a dozen raisins so I know he ate at least that many. So, as Barb said a few grapes wouldn't be something I would worry over since they are less "concentrated" than raisins, and even so by now you probably would have seen the reaction if there was going to be one. Hope your pup is OK.
Luckily for my pup after activated charcoal, some meds and 48 hours on IV's to flush his system he was back to normal. Needless to say the birdseed was in the trash and I no longer keep a bird feeder in the yard.
Image
Piper, and Bryce

marz
Puppy
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:07 pm

Re: grapes

Post by marz »

Thanks for the replies.. She's perfectly fine and had no negative reactions.:)
She's such a fast little thing and before my son could do anything, she scooped up a couple. Thankfully it wasn't many.

Britlover, that had to be a scary situation!! So glad your pup came out okay.

britlover
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter
Posts: 250
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:16 am

Re: grapes

Post by britlover »

Glad your pup is OK. Welcome to the discussion board, and if you can please share more about your pup. I assume she is a Brittany? We love photos too if you have time to post a few :)

Yes, it was quite a scare which is why I share the story about the birdseed so others are aware of the potential danger. I never in a million years would I have suspected raisins as a filler ingredient. And the birds don't care for them so they get tossed to the ground for other animals to eat. Don't buy birdseed from HomeDepot without reading the fine print!
Image
Piper, and Bryce

marz
Puppy
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:07 pm

Re: grapes

Post by marz »

Thnks for the welcome Britlover.
Yep, got a little brittany and I'll get some pics up tomorrow for sure!:)

Post Reply