Tooth Brushing Anecdote

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

itchywool
Puppy

Tooth Brushing Anecdote

Post by itchywool »

I know the regulars on this board have heard me harp about this before but I have an personal anecdote to pass on.

We recently adopted a wonderful 7 year old dog through ABR. Though she was obviously loved and well cared for by her former family her teeth and gums were a mess. Several teeth had roots showing from the receding gums and they bled when she ate her food.

Nonetheless after only 1 week of daily brushing her gums have turned around 180 degrees and the inflamation and bleeding have stopped. Our vet says that there is no longer any sign of gingivitis, etc.

The use of Petrodex enzymatic toothpaste in conjunction with Petrodex mouth rince soaked in the bristles really made a quick difference.

Its never too late.
Last edited by itchywool on Thu May 27, 2004 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

itchywool
Puppy

Post by itchywool »

What brand of toothpaste do you use?
I use Petrodex or CET (both are made by Vibrac) but any good enzymatic toothpaste would work.

DualCH Brits
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by DualCH Brits »

Isn't it amazing what a little bit of effort and application can accomplish with the teeth and gum health. So many people get intimidated or frusterated trying t brush their dog's teeth, especially if thedog isolder and un accustomed to the process. Don't lose the faith.....and in the end your dog is healthier!!!!
Helen
Wild Mtn Brittanys
Western Pennsylvania
www.wildmtnbrittanys.com

juliette
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Post by juliette »

I know what you mean about older dogs; my senior always hated to have me even touch his teeth. Even though he got a clean bill of dental health from the vet whenwe first adopted him from ABR in January, His teeth are apparently tender to the touch from being all broken off and worn down to nubs (it's thought that he must have tried to chew through a chain link fence, probably to get at female every time she was in heat, since it seems to have occured over a long period of time.)

Anyway, what really helped me was to integrate the tooth brushing into the rest of his grooming routine. I used to try to do it when he was relaxed, or in a good mood or whatever, and he fought me on it every time.

Now, I just add it to the ear swabbing, face washing, nail-trimming that he already dislikes but endures. The first time I added it to the routine instead of just walking up to him with the tooth paste on a piece of cheese cloth, you could almost see the thought bubble, "Oh. This is one of THOSE things, I guess. Oh well."