Kennel cough .

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Kennel cough .

Post by Dave »

My new foster has developed Kennel cough . I took him to my vet and he is on antibiotics and she gave him cough syrup .Anyway I was told to isolate him from Levi who wasn't immunized till I gave him his shot today. I figured I used to do blood gases on humans and poked arterys for years , how hard to give a wild man pup a shot :roll: :lol: Shoulda seen this 195 pound guy wrestling a 40 pound dog :lol: Poor Hutch has a loss of apetite and is coughing . What should I go get to feed him . I was doctoring some Iams Adult dry kibble with canned and he is just picking . I'll go buy some meat and fix it for him . Should I boil , Broil or what ? I've got some ideas , but suggestions are appreciated . One last thing any ideas about additives to rev up his immune system ? Thanks, 8) Dave

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Post by Barb Wright »

Dave go here:

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index ... el%2ccough

It will tell you what you want to know. Quickly, it is a self-limiting virus and normally antibiotics are not used (antibiotics don't work on viruses). It will run it's course in just a few days...it really usually sounds worse than it is :roll:

When Cassie had it all I did different was give her a raw chopped garlic clove a day and flavor her water with a little beef broth to encourage drinking.

As for Levi...the shot you gave may or may not prevent him getting it...usually preventive shots need to be given sooner to give the body time to come up with immunity. But the kennel cough shot is notoriously ineffective any way :x You'll know within about 5-7 days whether Levi is in for a bout of it too :cry:
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13

Lisa

Post by Lisa »

When I had Cooper, he had a very bad case of kennel cough. He was vomiting up mucous, constantly coughing, and wouldn't eat a thing. I tried everything I could think of (boiled hamburger, chicken, raw hamburger, etc), and finally broke down and bought the Cesar soft dog food. I know the stuff is terrible, and normally, I would never feed it, but, Cooper was sooo thin, he really couldn't stand to lose weight. So, I figured, it's better than nothing, and stinks to high heaven, maybe he'll eat it. Sure enough, I opened that tin, and he dove right in! After I got him to eat one tin in the evening, and one the next morning, I started mixing in a little kibble, then, over about 4-5 days, I slowly mixed in more kibble and phased out the Cesar junk. In about a week, he was eating a good quality kibble mixed with a little bit of high quality canned food. It took him about 2 weeks before he would eat just plain kibble...about as long as it took for the cough to totally go away.

Hope that helps a bit. Normally, I would say the only place a food like Cesar should go is the trash, but sometimes it's more important to get the dog eating, and then worry about nutrition.

As Barb said, the vaccine in rather ineffective, and Britty had been vaccinated only two months previous. She ended up with a mild case of kennel cough...little more than a drippy nose for a day or two and a very slight cough. It's much easier for a healthy dog to get over, and doesn't seem to hit them as hard.
Image Image RIP Madi
Charm-future agility champ
Britty- RIP March 27, 2014
Buster-CGC, OA, OF, NAJ, APK, APJ, APG, APR, PD

Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Dave »

Thanks for the info . Actually I was a respiratory therapist so medical speak comes easy for me to understand . I perked up when reading about using aerosol therapy to administer antibiotics and bronchodialators , of course after doing a broncho lavage and tests to determine what type of bug they have :roll: I'm a little more than gun shy after losing Angie and starting by treating her for upper respiratory ailment . What herbs would help ? Thanks 8) Dave

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Post by Barb Wright »

Dave wrote: What herbs would help ? Thanks 8) Dave
Off the top of my head: a raw garlic clove chopped once a day. Garlic has excellent immunotonic qualities and antiviral as well as antibacterial qualities. Echinacea or astralagus, really good for boosting the immune system. Boyoboy, Dave there are quite a few herbs that are just super at helping to relieve symptoms as well as assist the body in overcoming the virus. If you want to go so far as to make a formula here is one from "Herbs For Pets":

Combine the following glycerin tinctures (get from health food store):

1 part coltsfoot
1 part elecampane
1 part mullein leaf
1 part yarrow
1 part marshmallow

This combination can be added to a small amount (enough to make a syrup) of raw organic honey and fed to dogs 2-3 daily...about 0.25 - 0.5 ml for each 20 pounds of body weight. You can dose with astralagus and echinacea along with this for immune support.

The above herbs help with clearing the lungs, lending soothing relief to inflamed membranes of the trachea and bronci, and help with expelling mucus.

Personally, if Hutch is in fairly reasonable health I would just go with the garlic. If he seems to worsen and seem in distress with lots of mucus then you might want to make up the formula and use it. If you do make this up it has a good shelf life (if kept in a dark bottle in a cool place) and can be used for other respiratory type problems, or any time you want to boost the immune system.

Really, don't sweat this....if the dog does not have serious health problems, or obviously decline, he will weather this just fine. It is like you or me (assuming you are healthy :roll: with a mild to moderate cold....you just have to ride it out :!:

Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Dave »

Thanks Barb :D . This dog is a gentle soul and is lying directly behind me now . I'll get him well and he will make a good companion for someone . I've got Levi to rev me up and this foster to calm me :lol: Kinda like AC/DC :lol: I'll copy the info and get some garlic tomorrow . 8) DAVE

Lisa

Post by Lisa »

Just a warning Dave...

When I first brought Cooper home, he was sooo sick, and he was just the sweetest, cuddliest little thing. Wanted nothing more than to lay in my lap and snuggle. Seemed totally mellow and just very loving.

THEN....HE GOT BETTER! And oh boy! Talk about a personality change :roll: He was still a sweet little cuddle buddy, but when he wasn't cuddling, he was in to everything! It was like night and day with that boy. I could definitely tell once he started feeling better. :lol:
Image Image RIP Madi
Charm-future agility champ
Britty- RIP March 27, 2014
Buster-CGC, OA, OF, NAJ, APK, APJ, APG, APR, PD

Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Dave »

I found that with Rusty . I've learned that all fosters , or almost are really subdued till they acclimate . The only one exception was my buddy Jake that went to Washington . Man I wish I would have kept him . He came home the first night and climbed up on my couch in front of me and took a nap . It's been over a yr. and I still miss him :roll: 8) Dave

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Post by Barb Wright »

Hey Dave.....How is Hutch doing? Everything under control? at least as much as possible with two young male dogs :P

Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Dave »

Barb,
Hutch is out standing next to Levi barking at someone walking their dog down the street :lol: He feels secure enough to bark at things :roll: These two will play nonstop for hours . I was supposed to isolate Hutch , but it's too late . They have been playing with the same toys and getting each other face to face . If Levi get's this cough , oh well he's young and really healthy . Hutch just barely coughs and sneeezes a little . It's a lot of work , but Hutch is occupying Levi , I even asked about borrowing Sheamus for awhile till Hutch showed up :D Dave