(pic) Then and now

General Brittany Discussion

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Forum rules
Welcome to general discussion!

Did your Britt make you laugh today? Did he do something so smart, you are blown away? Those puppy teeth causing you to tear up, and you need an outlet? Or do you want to post a picture of his or her latest point? This is the place for it!
kat
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

(pic) Then and now

Post by kat »

I hope these pictures come through, I've never done this before, but we found pictures of Winnie from 1993 we think, and then had pictures of her right before she died last week, What a difference!! I used to think how everybody else's Britts were so pretty and Winnie looked different from most, but now I can see that she did look the same so many years ago, we had just forgotten! Anyway, we were amazed looking at the differences, so thought maybe someone else might like to see it too. You can click on the pic to see it bigger.

My mom is a Kat - How cool is that?

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Post by Barb Wright »

Wow, I'm amazed at how white her face and head went...what a change!! I notice Cassie, at 7 yo has started to go gray around the eyes...if I'm as lucky as you I will be able to watch the change for at least another seven years, and hoping for more :!:
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13

Janice
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Post by Janice »

What strikes me the most is how "wooly" her coat became as she got older. She's like a little wooly bear!
Janice

Cariboo
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by Cariboo »

Yea, I was thinking the same thing as Barb: the orange around her face went really white! :shock:
Hi!

I'm Lucky!

Jen
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by Jen »

That's really neat to look back and see the differences. My last 2 brittany girls had the really white faces when they passed and looking back on pictures of them when they were younger they sure seemed to change alot.

Jen
Coda - our forever foster dog

Kathy
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Kathy »

Ok, on the humorous side: Don't tell Mark - he'll be monitoring every individual piece of fur looking for "greying" ones on Monty for the rest of Monty's life! :lol: (For folks who don't get my humor, see the posting on "Can brittanies change color?? EEK!" and you'll get it. :lol: )

On the wondering side: During my last vet visit with Duke, the vet commented on how little greying there is in Duke's face despite his age (10 years). Perhaps the greying process in Brits is genetically controlled?

-Kathy
Herman "Happy Soul" ABR Sept 2002
Hunter "Mr. Wiggles" ABR Apr 2005

Karen_P
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Karen_P »

I think it really is genetics, but I also think diet plays an important roll. I'm told that commercial foods are lacking in kelp, which helps maintain pigmentation in the coat. I've started supplementing my guys with it. It's too soon to tell, but I'm hoping some of Zach's grays turn back to orange eventually (or at least he doesn't get any more) Zach started graying at 5 yrs old.
Home of DC Britt Haven's Blaze of Glory
http://www.woodlandbrittanys.com

Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Dave »

It is genetics , just like people . Pax was hardly grey at 10 years old . My old girl Amber had almost an entirely white head and when she was young it was mostly orange . 8) Dave

Gaffney Girl
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Post by Gaffney Girl »

Do Roans also get gray as they get older? Anyone know?

juliette
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Post by juliette »

Gaffney Girl wrote:Do Roans also get gray as they get older? Anyone know?
Ranger, our most recently adopted Brit, is probably about 11 or 12, and he is a roan. Of course, we never got a chance to see him when he was younger, but his face is almost completely white, and much lighter than the rest of him, so I'm guess that at least some roans do.

Here is a picture of our newest sweet boy:

Michael
Puppy Kindergarten Grad
Puppy Kindergarten Grad

Post by Michael »

My wife and I had a Liver and white named Nicki (male not female) and he was 8 when he passed on from cancer and he never got gray. Penny our other Britt was a orange and white had gray hair when she was 5 but did not go really gray until she was almost 12. Our current Britt-springer mix is only 2 so no way to know yet (liver and white).
Brittany's love action