what else can I do to help volunteer?

General Brittany Discussion

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Forum rules
Welcome to general discussion!

Did your Britt make you laugh today? Did he do something so smart, you are blown away? Those puppy teeth causing you to tear up, and you need an outlet? Or do you want to post a picture of his or her latest point? This is the place for it!
Bernie's mom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

what else can I do to help volunteer?

Post by Bernie's mom »

I was just wondering, since at this time I just can't foster due to our goofy swing schedules. I still want to help, what can I do? Transport might maybe be an option, but then again, with these swing shifts...

*wants to be a pseudo-volunteer*
Bernie 11/30/03-12/12/15

Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Dave »

Fill out a volunteer application and you could check the shelters daily and report them to your State coordinator :D . You could work by delivering posters to shelters . Compile a list Statewide and mail our ABR contact stuff to each . E mail Rhonda Carlson and ask her , I'm sure she could find a job that we need help with . You could even help our new volunteer coordinator for ABR that lives in Montana , her name is Christine . Heck with the internet I could have you help me by watching our shelter listings on montanapets.org . I'm sure Wisconsin could use your help . Working swing shift might limit you , but I bet the transport team could use your help . 8) Dave

kat
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by kat »

I know it's not the same, but just wanted you to know that all your fun posts and pics, your support and advice are sure helpful to those of us who are able to foster. We all do what we can, and sometimes a happy pic or story is just as important to keep someone going!
My mom is a Kat - How cool is that?

juliette
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Post by juliette »

Do you sew? Linda Kelty is looking for people to help make dog-theme crate blankets to sell and raffle at fund raising events. They are ridiculously easy to make - you can do one in an evening.

Bernie's mom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Bernie's mom »

Thanks Kat! :)
I filled out a volunteer form last night. I'd be interested in stuffing and sending the mailings and helping with web searches and the such. I'm planning on buying one of the "ask me about rescue" t-shirts too! A couple bucks here and there help too I'm sure. :D
I work with a guy who helps with the Golden Retriever Resue of WI (GRRoW). He does evaluations and short term fostering. A lady at our sister company helps with Aerdaile (sp?) rescue. Those are cool dogs too! I was just surprised to see how many people help with different rescues, makes me happy!
Bernie 11/30/03-12/12/15

Janice
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Post by Janice »

You can also do home checks for potential adopteers. I don't consider myself a "real" volunteer, but I've done a couple of home checks when there is someone in my area who has put an application in. I even take along Rolo who goes bouncing into their house and then flies onto their couch, jumps into their house plants looking for lizards, and races through their backyard like a lunatic. If they laugh and think its cute, they usually geta real good recommendation provided they have a good fenced yard.

I have also met with potential adopters who think they want a Britany, but have never met one. I have them come to the dog park and meet the boys. Only once did I meet someone who didn't want to adopt. Believe it or not, they were afraid of my dogs! Well, not just my dogs, all dogs, so I didn't take it personally!

Janice