Hello. :)

General Brittany Discussion

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Forum rules
Welcome to general discussion!

Did your Britt make you laugh today? Did he do something so smart, you are blown away? Those puppy teeth causing you to tear up, and you need an outlet? Or do you want to post a picture of his or her latest point? This is the place for it!
LizBot
Puppy Kindergarten Grad
Puppy Kindergarten Grad

Hello. :)

Post by LizBot »

Hello, everyone. I just joined your forum last night, finally got around to making a post this evening.

We recently brought home a Brittany puppy and I've been searching around for some people to chat with about the breed. I browsed through some of your posts here and you seem like a nice group, thought I'd barge in on the fun. :)

Our puppy's name is Jazz (short for Jasper) and he's 9 weeks old. Like other people, I thought I had brought home a devil dog when he got comfortable here. He's been a whirlwind of biting, biting, biting, and more biting -- and thinks I'm playing games (which require more biting) when I try to use any method of correction from holding his mouth shut gently to putting him in his crate for 5 minutes. On the bright side, when we go out in public to get pet food or toys for Jazz or the hamster, Jazz is a well-behaved gentleman who already sits, lays down, stays, comes, and shakes. He loves meeting new people and dogs, cuddles with everyone we meet, and generally acts the way I read a Brittany will act. I'm hopeful that this is the Jazz who will emerge after his baby teeth fall out. ;) Or rather, my hands and arms are hopeful.

I plan on training him to do agility and maybe be a therapy dog. We have three young daughters though (10, 3, and 2) so we'll see how much time I have to go beyond normal obedience and tricks training. Luckily we live on the outskirts of Omaha, NE, so I have plenty of room to run with Jazz and let him flush out birds for my husband.

Looking forward to chatting with everyone!

Liz

The Amazing Jazz : Master of Manipulation and Cute-ifying Stunts!

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Re: Hello. :)

Post by Cindy »

Hi and welcome! You've definitely come to the right place if you want to learn and share. And as you've probably already seen, there are several people with puppies right now so you will be good support for each other. I've only had one puppy, many years ago, and now just adopt, do transports, and occasionally foster for very short periods of time (or they wouldn't leave our house!). But we've had 7 Brittanys over the years and absolutely love the breed and all their little quirks. Can't wait to hear more about Jazz.
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Post by Barb Wright »

Hello back at you......happy to have you join us here, Brittany lovers every one :D Looking forward to hearing more about Jazz as he grows towards adulthood, and it sounds like he has a wonderful future before him. I'm sure Lisa will be joining in the discussion soon, and she will be most helpful with your Agility plans.

Jazz looks like quite the handsome pup, looking forward to seeing more of him :D
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13

Lisa

Post by Lisa »

Hi and welcome to the board!

Brittanys can make great agility dogs, as long as you remember that they are pointers, not a herding breed. If you want to pursue agility, consider involving your oldest daughter - the AKC Junior Handler program is pretty good!
Image Image RIP Madi
Charm-future agility champ
Britty- RIP March 27, 2014
Buster-CGC, OA, OF, NAJ, APK, APJ, APG, APR, PD

AuntieMom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by AuntieMom »

Hello and welcome to the boards. Jazz sounds like an intelligent and sweet little guy.

Our 11 y/o Brittany was puppy nipper too when he was a pup. A dog trainer told me to squirt lemon juice in his mouth. Well, apparently, I have the only Brittany in the world who likes lemons. I found a loud angry "OUCH" helped more. Really glad when he quit that....

We have four Brittanys - Scout (11), Kallie (10), Trapper (9) and CharLee (4). We got Scout as a puppy and the others are adopted through ABR.

Looking forward to hearing more about Jazz and his antics. :D
Trapper, CharLee & Kallie

PCTech01
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by PCTech01 »

We love pictures here! It has been a long time since I had a puppy so please share your "little Brit" with us! :D :D

LizBot
Puppy Kindergarten Grad
Puppy Kindergarten Grad

Post by LizBot »

Thank you everyone! :)

My mother adopted Jazz's brother, an orange-and-white bowling ball of a Brittney. He outweighs Jazz by at least 4 pounds last I knew. ;) Jake reminds us that our little cuties are pointers every day by pointing at (and attacking) a bush that my mom's husband had planted a dead sparrowhawk in as a joke. They forgot about it until Jake came home and began prodigiously assaulting the poor bush. ;)

I am definitely considering getting my oldest into the Junior AKC events -- and she is very interested. We used to do Girl Scouts but became disillusioned after a couple years of nonsense from our troop. It was too bad, since I'm a former Scout myself, but it does free up our time to do other fun things that arguably involve more exercise. Not a bad trade!

I will get some more pictures for everyone soon. It's awfully hard to get a good shot of this puppy, he's always on the move. And as for the biting -- he doesn't care what I do to correct him. I'm about to slather Vick's VapoRub on myself as a deterrent but with my luck, he'll like that as much as he did the squirting water, yelping, growling, ignoring, and time-outs (loves his kennel). If nothing else, this is a primer in Brittany persistence. :)

Thanks again for the warm welcome!

DLDoiron
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by DLDoiron »

This brings back memories of a puppy I fostered when I was a new volunteer. My perfume of choice became Bitter Apple. I had to wear long sleeves (thankfully it was winter) because my arms looked like I had been in battle and lost.
Doc, Dazy Dew, & CJ

Diana

tobster
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Post by tobster »

Ahhh the brittany puppy. Good times :D

For biting, I used a bunch of different techniques and nothing worked until I decided to choose one and stick with it. I settled on the "ouch!" method, which at first only riled him up, but eventually got through to him. I also crated him when he went REALLY nuts, and he came to understand that very quickly.

At nine months old, Toby is starting to behave himself, but he is getting a little attitude. And he has more energy that ever. But, he is much more focused and even more cuddly. I could still really use an "It Gets Better!" from some of the Brittany puppy veterans! :)

LucyDuncan
Puppy

Post by LucyDuncan »

I would have to agree with Tobster and yelling "Ouch!" Our 2 year old Britt plays rough with our pointer mix but thankfully she learned that we don't like to play that way. I have always been told that as puppies dogs learn bite inhibition through playing with their litter mates. Responding to a bite the way their litter mates might helps them understand that they're being too rough when you "Yip." I like to make my point known and will "YIP!" LOUDLY, catching the puppy off guard and causing them to jerk back like "What did you just say?!" :shock: :P
Nub Love

LizBot
Puppy Kindergarten Grad
Puppy Kindergarten Grad

Post by LizBot »

We've been yelping for the past few weeks. It works for a minute or so, during which Jazz licks at our hands and faces worriedly, but after he's done apologizing he just goes back to trying to devour our pants, arms, hands, feet, etc. etc. etc. I've also tried ignoring him for a few minutes if he doesn't stop after I've yelped a couple times (approximating what his littermates or mom would do). He doesn't really care, he just grabs the rope toy we're usually playing with and gnaws on that until I decide to brave putting my feet back on the floor. :P I also put him in his kennel when he's been too bite-y. He settles down in the kennel but comes out like a demon rocket upon release.

I did buy a bottle of Out! No Chew Deterrent, which is made with bitter cherry and doesn't smell noxious. This seems to work better than the bitter apple did -- on surfaces. It's safe for the skin and clothes and he doesn't seem to enjoy it at all. However, he's a smart little bugger. If I've sprayed myself down with this horrible bittering agent, he doesn't gnaw on me with his entire mouth anymore. Instead, he uses his front teeth only -- no tongue! -- to snap at my hands and arms and pants. It's better than when he's all-out chewing on me, though, so I'll just keep on truckin'. Sigh.

Other than that, he's not a bad puppy. We're working on house training and he loves to cuddle with me after his first nightly potty break, which is usually when I'm done cleaning up the house and doing some computer work in bed. I also love his zeal when playing fetch or "killing" his fluffy duck. ;) I can see he'll be good at pretty much anything I end up doing with him and that's pretty exciting. I'm hoping when he gets bigger, my husband will be totally in love with everything he does so I can con him into letting me rescue a couple more to add to my snuggle pile. :D

janjan697
Puppy Kindergarten Grad
Puppy Kindergarten Grad

Post by janjan697 »

I just love reading these posts! Reminds me of the days when my baby Clive was a puppy (which I've posted about) and he tormented me.
He did all the above and more- tearing at our pant legs, jumping and lunging and snapping at our sleeves. He was like a furry barracuda. I think about it now and it is hilarious!
He turned into the most gentle loving forgiving dog ever. I still miss him desperately.
Hang in there, have a sense of humor. Your patience will pay off, believe me.

adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by adele »

Hey Tobster!.... It really really does get better. My Lola is the best dog in the world (except for a few details :lol: ).