Snow Day

General Brittany Discussion

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Forum rules
Welcome to general discussion!

Did your Britt make you laugh today? Did he do something so smart, you are blown away? Those puppy teeth causing you to tear up, and you need an outlet? Or do you want to post a picture of his or her latest point? This is the place for it!
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Snow Day

Post by Cindy »

We've had about 18" of snow and it's still coming down hard. Layla and Pippa have had a blast racing around the house in the tracks they've made. But poor old Kayla keeps getting stuck because she wanders into the deep snow. Any thoughts on how to get all of the snowballs off Pippa??

Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla

StFrost
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Re: Snow Day

Post by StFrost »

regarding snowballs--the ones stuck in the feathers on the back legs? GARAGE!! until they melt unless you want to spend an hour smashing each one with your hands....

Between the toes? Mushers Secret! Available at Amazon or you can search for it. No snowballs then. Apply every half hour.

My Sammie loves the snow. Luckily, everything melts in the car on the way home.

PCTech01
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by PCTech01 »

Let PIPPA come in your house and lie down on your bed! They will melt in short order! :lol: :lol: :lol:

LizBot
Puppy Kindergarten Grad
Puppy Kindergarten Grad

Post by LizBot »

Bring her over to my place, Jazz will eat them right off of her. He loves eating snow. :)

Love the pictures, especially that third one. :D
The Amazing Jazz : Master of Manipulation and Cute-ifying Stunts!

Ron
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by Ron »

PCTech01 wrote:Let PIPPA come in your house and lie down on your bed! They will melt in short order! :lol: :lol: :lol:
That should work for all of them. :lol: :lol:

DLDoiron
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by DLDoiron »

Send her to S. CA and you won't have that problem anymore.
Doc, Dazy Dew, & CJ

Diana

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

Let PIPPA come in your house and lie down on your bed! They will melt in short order!
That's exactly how Pippa has been dealing with them!!!

janet909
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by janet909 »

No "great" advice but I love the pics. Especially the first one. They all look in their element. Beautiful dogs enjoying nature at it's finest. (Though some may disagree with that last statement). :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Post by Barb Wright »

After 42 years living in Alaska I for one am very happy to just see pictures of dogs playing in the snow :P :wink: One thing you might try, have the dogs be outside for 10 minutes or so before they get into the snow. This will give the hair a chance to "chill" a bit and be less likely to hold on to the snow. However, if the dogs are pretty active their body heat will contribute to a warm "aura" about them and the snow will cling once again. You can help keep ice balls out of the feet by keeping the hair between the pads clipped short.

Brrrrrr.....am so glad to have left that kind of winter behind me :D
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

Well that might explain what's happening. Pippa puts off so much more body heat than the other 2 so maybe that's why the snowballs are so bad on her?? Funny thing is, none of them are having trouble with snow packing up in their feet but possibly that's because we did a pretty good foot trimming about a week ago. But that was for the mud, not snow!

adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by adele »

Lola pulls and shakes the iceballs off when she comes into the house. I sweep them up with a broom before they melt and toss 'em into the sink. I use the icewater from the ones that do melt to clean the floor (our floors rarely see water otherwise).

We're having just the opposite sort of day. It's so warm here that our snowpack is melting :cry:. Our morning walk was like walking through a wading pool with snowshoes on.

P.S. Barb, there is a happy medium between Alaska and Arizona. :P

MaggieRocks
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by MaggieRocks »

Barb Wright wrote:After 42 years living in Alaska I for one am very happy to just see pictures of dogs playing in the snow :P :wink:
Do you remember Mary and Humphrey? They are now living in Alaska. She said it is warmer there than home! (which for Mary, was MD)

We ended up with about 2'. We got about 14" Wed night into Thurs. It stopped, rained a bit, and then started snowing again. We got about another 10" overnight.

And yes....Emma went straight up to bed to get rid of all the snowballs clinging to her! :roll:

AuntieMom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by AuntieMom »

Such gorgeous girls!
Trapper, CharLee & Kallie