CA earthquakes

General Brittany Discussion

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Forum rules
Welcome to general discussion!

Did your Britt make you laugh today? Did he do something so smart, you are blown away? Those puppy teeth causing you to tear up, and you need an outlet? Or do you want to post a picture of his or her latest point? This is the place for it!
DLDoiron
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

CA earthquakes

Post by DLDoiron »

Most of you don't know but I live in La Habra, CA where we are being hit with a big earthquake and way too many aftershocks. We were lucky to only have 2 broken items, My male dog (about 11 y/o) seems to be having a hard time with all this commotion going on. I went to the vet this AM and got a mild sedative but I hate druging him. He wants to stay outside the whole day and into the night. We have to pick him up (45 lbs) to get him into the house. Any suggestions on how to handle this. He is on the meek side but I feel so bad for him. Last night we slept maybe 2 hours because he was up and down.
Doc, Dazy Dew, & CJ

Diana

Lisa

Re: CA earthquakes

Post by Lisa »

Have you tried a Thundershirt? That would be the first thing I'd try.
Image Image RIP Madi
Charm-future agility champ
Britty- RIP March 27, 2014
Buster-CGC, OA, OF, NAJ, APK, APJ, APG, APR, PD

DLDoiron
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by DLDoiron »

I don't have one because we never have thunderstorms. Doc has never acted like this before. He usually acts like a 2 y/o dog still bouncing off the walls at times.
Doc, Dazy Dew, & CJ

Diana

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

Glad you are OK and not too much damage. Poor Doc but it sounds like he's doing the safe thing - staying outside and away from falling objects. I'm assuming you've tried tempting him with food? It seems to me that some where on this board there were directions on how to make your own thundershirt using a towel or ace bandage or "something" to wrap around your dog. I just did a quick search on the internet and found this: http://www.ehow.com/how_6173772_wrap-do ... xiety.html but there may be other videos and stuff too. Good luck and stay safe.
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla

AuntieMom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by AuntieMom »

Diana, how is Doc doing?
Trapper, CharLee & Kallie

DLDoiron
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by DLDoiron »

Doc is doing ok for the moment. We just went 24 hours with no shaking but they arre saying to expect thunder tonight. He now has a Thundershirt on. The lady at Petco said she has sold quite a few since last Friday night. Hopeefully this will work.
Doc, Dazy Dew, & CJ

Diana

DLDoiron
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by DLDoiron »

We had an aftershock at 4 am this morning and he looked up and then back to sleep. I looked on the web for a Thundershirt for me. They don't make one big enough to fit me. I have been up since so today should be wonderful.
Doc, Dazy Dew, & CJ

Diana

AuntieMom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by AuntieMom »

Not how you want to wake up. :shock:
Trapper, CharLee & Kallie

adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by adele »

I'm glad you are all okay! Ya know, Lola has a thunder shirt and it doesn't help at all. Poor girl. You're lucky it works for Doc.

I was also awake at 3 am. Tramp slid off his 2 inch high (yes two inches high) piece of foam that is his bed and he slid under our bed... then he couldn't get up :roll: :lol: :lol: We woke up to the sound of poor old Tramp desperately trying to free himself. We had to get up and lift the bed so he could slide out. :roll: