2013 Puppy updates?

General Brittany Discussion

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Forum rules
Welcome to general discussion!

Did your Britt make you laugh today? Did he do something so smart, you are blown away? Those puppy teeth causing you to tear up, and you need an outlet? Or do you want to post a picture of his or her latest point? This is the place for it!
brittienewbie
Puppy Kindergarten Grad
Puppy Kindergarten Grad

2013 Puppy updates?

Post by brittienewbie »

Hi all,

I was thinking it would be nice if we could get some updates on our 2013 Brittany puppies. I'm just wondering what the new antics, challenges, and successes are of the pups.

Bearacuda is doing well, CGC is almost over...crossing my fingers that we can pass the test. I'll update more later.

I'm looking forward to getting updates!

brittienewbie
Puppy Kindergarten Grad
Puppy Kindergarten Grad

Re: 2013 Puppy updates?

Post by brittienewbie »

Sorry I couldn't update last night...I'm looking forward to reading about all the pups!

Bear is on the right road...so much frustration was had trying to get him here. We're in CGC class (he's one of the youngest at almost 9 months). He's doing really well on the controlled leash walking, the downs, the recalls...the sit stays are a challenge...he's very busy.

We've had a recent house training set back, he is having some urgency issues. Blood work was normal, urine was dilute. So we're monitoring water intake. We've also gone a month without loose stool, which is a miracle!

He's doing really well on listening to my husband and I...but still picking on the Yorkie.

He's a natural born hunter and clears the yard and park of robins. We'll get him into the field soon. He does really well with pheasant wings.

He's a character! Loves attention, loves to train, loves to learn (even things I don't want him to know - like how to open the baby gate), loves life.

BARB J
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Post by BARB J »

Funny you should ask . . .

Gus (11 months now) got loose for the first time this evening. We are at our vacation home in the desert and he can open the levered handle doors here. Not usually a problem - we close and lock the doors to the outside and keep things he shouldn't have from inside, out of his way.

My husband went outside and locked the door after him, but then opened the garage door from the outside. Meanwhile, Gus opened the door to the laundry room, then the door into the garage which we had neglected to lock . . . and was FREE! He took off without my husband even seeing him, but within just a couple of minutes the house was way too quiet, we couldn't find him, and he was just gone. :(

We're only a couple of blocks from the Interstate and another highway and we were both terrified.

My husband found him just four doors down. He used our magic recall word, Gus hesitated, took about five steps towards him, and then decided on freedom and trotted away. Luckily, he went into a neighbor's front porch area where he was sort of contained and let my husband grab his collar.

So, we've more homework to do. We just need to keep working on recall and police these doors better, as well. Gus loves the desert with all the lizards and rabbits and bugs and birds, and the distractions were just too much for him.

Other than this scare, he's SO much easier! It seems we had to crate him for so much longer than we wanted to, but finally, finally, he's now just crated when we are out, or he's unsupervised. And, he's still crated at night, because it's a routine he seems to be fine with. He's better on a leash so walks are more enjoyable. He settles down on his rug away from the table during meals . . . and actually sleeps until we get up. He's still a little jump-uppy on unexpected guests, but it's briefer and easier to calm him. He's just better able to settle himself down when that is what is needed.

He's getting good, too, at catching things - a ball on a bounce, the Frisbee, popcorn. For awhile I wondered if he was a scaredy cat - he'd duck! :lol His favorite toys are a Chase It Wand, and the Platypus with the Egg Babies. He understands if he brings me the eggs, he'll get to pull them out of the Platypus and gets so excited!

He's survived a half hour, followed by a half day of doggie day care - watches more than plays. He's a bit overwhelmed so we are taking it slow.

It's good to hear how well Bear has done! Really - a CGC to be? That's wonderful! Gus is a S.T.A.R. puppy, but that's a long ways from what's expected of a Good Citizen. We have had life get in the way of taking another puppy class right now, so that's on hold.

I hope the other puppy parents check in, too! Wondering how Toby and Jazz are doing?

taymiss2
Puppy Kindergarten Grad
Puppy Kindergarten Grad

Post by taymiss2 »

Hey I haven't been on here in awhile but noticed this thread so jumping at the opportunity to update you all on Bailey. We got her a little over a year ago. She turned 1 one February 24th. I am posting a link to the Instagram account my daughters have called DailyBailey - they have posted pictures of Bailey's shenanigans throughout the year. It starts from the most recent and goes backward through her first year. Just sroll down the page.

We were reminicising about her puppyhood recently and my oldest daughters assessment was that she was a little bitch in both meanings of the word. She was such a biting handful and has grown into just the sweetest girl. She loves everyone and everything. She is always ready for the next adventure which is what we love about Brittany's!

I hope this link works!

Cheryl

http://instagram.com/dailybailey24#

You may need to copy and past the link into your browser if it won't let you just click on it. It doesn't look like their captions are showing up which is the funniest part but that is ok.

taymiss2
Puppy Kindergarten Grad
Puppy Kindergarten Grad

Post by taymiss2 »

So, it looks like the link does work if you click on it.

You can see the captions by clicking on the first picture and then arrowing through. :D

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Post by Barb Wright »

What a fabulous album 8) 8) And she is soooo beautiful.....it shows what a wonderful life you have given her, and she is giving back to you :D Thanks for sharing all the great photos....lovely, just lovely :D
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

What great pictures and she's such a pretty girl. The captions are definitely worth reading!!
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla

taymiss2
Puppy Kindergarten Grad
Puppy Kindergarten Grad

Post by taymiss2 »

Thanks Barb and Cindy, She really is a 34 pound bundle of goofy personality. I should have warned that there are a lot of pictures. lol. I don't have an Instagram account so hadn't seen the "DailyBailey" page since last summer. I am not sure I realized they had still been adding pictures through out the year. So much fun to scroll through though. We were looking at it while we were out to dinner last night and the waiter must have thought we were nuts as we were laughing hysterically.

AuntieMom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by AuntieMom »

Such a doll. She was a cute as a puppy and a beauty now.
Trapper, CharLee & Kallie

tobster
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Post by tobster »

Aww Bailey is so cute. I wish I had taken more pictures of Toby as a pup. I took a ton but still wish I had more!

Anyway here's my puppy update: TOBY IS ONE YEAR OLD!! I can't believe it, but my little monster is all grown up! Well, sort of.. he still seems to have a puppy brain (or maybe it's just a Brittany brain), but he has come so far in the last few months, it's amazing.

Here's the birthday morning photo compilation:

AuntieMom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by AuntieMom »

awww ... Toby is a love. Brittany brain and all. :wink:
Trapper, CharLee & Kallie

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

He looks VERY happy to be having a birthday!!
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla

adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by adele »

All the puppy updates are great. Everyone seems to be having an easier time, phew. But it gets even better.. training will move forward and you'll slowly start to see some common sense appearing. Still, the best days come after 2 years if you ask me... well, at least they did with Lola. That's when my girl really started to shine and we developed deep and subtle communication skills. I think you have lots and lots of happy days ahead of you.

DLDoiron
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by DLDoiron »

Toby is adorable.
Doc, Dazy Dew, & CJ

Diana