Define "young children"

General Brittany Discussion

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Forum rules
Welcome to general discussion!

Did your Britt make you laugh today? Did he do something so smart, you are blown away? Those puppy teeth causing you to tear up, and you need an outlet? Or do you want to post a picture of his or her latest point? This is the place for it!
lyb923
Puppy

Define "young children"

Post by lyb923 »

Hello! My family is planning to adopt a Brittany, and I've come across this forum which I've enjoyed reading. Your enthusiasm for these dogs has gotten us very excited to get one! We have a 6 year old boy and an 8 year old girl. A lot of the dogs up for adoption say that the dog would not be well-suited for a home with young children. What counts as "young"? Are they referring more to toddler ages? Or would my kids be considered young? Thanks for your help!

Brenda Dom
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Re: Define "young children"

Post by Brenda Dom »

Brittanys are an enthusiastic, people-loving breed. That being said, their enthusiasm often has them jumping up on the people they love. I expect the warning about "no young children" is a concern they may be knocked down.

Obedience training will stop this behavior. Brittanys do very well with positive reinforcement.

E-mail the foster parents and ask them about any dog you're interested in. They are in the best position to let you know about the dog.

Brenda
Kelcy, Susie, Bodie and Max
"Some of us learn forgiveness by studying the lives of saints. And some of us keep dogs. . . ." - Charles Gusewelle

dmedric
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by dmedric »

I know this doesn't answer the question, but my boys were 5 and 9 when we got our first Brittany. Our boys were very dog saavy though and weren't frightened if Max jumped on them (or easily knocked down).

AuntieMom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by AuntieMom »

I am a grandmother now but my children grew up with Brittanys. A typical Brittany is energetic and well matched with children. That said, foster parents know their dog best. I suggest you fill out an application and let the state coordinator work to find a Britt that matches your family. My kids have so many happy memories of our dogs. Enjoy the search and let us know if you adopt a Britt!
Trapper, CharLee & Kallie

Lisa

Post by Lisa »

I think every foster home defines that differently. When I say "not suitable for young children" I'm typically referring to kids under about 10 years. Usually, I will say this for dogs that are easily spooked or just need a little more space. If the kids are mature for their age and understand that when the dog goes in it's crate, it's time to leave it alone, then I'll consider younger than 10. Also, if the dog is very energetic, I don't want them to knock over small kids, so that's kind of a size thing...is the 6 year old a tall for his age kid? Is the 10 year old a small for his age kid?

It really does vary by dog, foster home, and the individual kids.

On a very rare occasion, I'll say no kids, and by that I mean under about 15 years old.
Image Image RIP Madi
Charm-future agility champ
Britty- RIP March 27, 2014
Buster-CGC, OA, OF, NAJ, APK, APJ, APG, APR, PD

lyb923
Puppy

Post by lyb923 »

Thank you all for your help! I really appreciate it!