Saying goodbye to Holly today

General Brittany Discussion

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Forum rules
Welcome to general discussion!

Did your Britt make you laugh today? Did he do something so smart, you are blown away? Those puppy teeth causing you to tear up, and you need an outlet? Or do you want to post a picture of his or her latest point? This is the place for it!
fgump
Puppy

Saying goodbye to Holly today

Post by fgump »

After almost 14 years of loving ownership (not sure who owned whom), we will be saying goodbye to our Britt Holly. She came to us in late June of 2000 and has been an absolute angel the whole time. She had been a very healthy dog until late November of 2013. We took her to our vet and he diagnosed her with CCD, and said she would continue to decline. We've held on to her for another 6 months, but it is time to let her go. Last night, my wife placed Holly in our bed (where she slept many years ago before our kids came along). Holly slept soundly until 3am when she awoke and was restless. At 4am we were outside for her to go potty. She has mostly stopped eating and is only drinking minimally.

We took this photo this morning.

We took this one a day after we picked her up 14 years ago. (sorry, Photobucket's having a hard time rotating photos today...)

Even Holly knows it is time. She NEVER goes into our oldest son's room, and this morning, as he was getting ready for school, she went into his room and laid down in the middle of his floor. We walked in to find him petting her in the floor.

She will be sorely missed, but she has lived a full and good life (15 years). Thank you ABR for bringing her into our lives so long ago.

Bill, Lainey, Web, Marshall, and "Holly"

Lisa

Re: Saying goodbye to Holly today

Post by Lisa »

I'm so very sorry for your loss. Holly has had a great life with you, and she's a very lucky old gal.
Image Image RIP Madi
Charm-future agility champ
Britty- RIP March 27, 2014
Buster-CGC, OA, OF, NAJ, APK, APJ, APG, APR, PD

dmedric
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by dmedric »

What a nice tribute to Holly. Never easy to make this decision. My condolences.

AuntieMom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by AuntieMom »

Those old girls are so beautiful with their precious white faces. Holly lived a good life and was indeed lucky to have such a wonderful family that clearly she loved. Agree with you that dogs know when it is time and it sounds like Holly was telling the family goodbye. Sweet but sad ... :cry:

A friend gave me the poem below when one of my Britts died. It gave me comfort and maybe it will for you too.

I loved you best

So this is where we part, My friend
And you’ll run on, around the bend.
Gone from sight, but not from mind,
New pleasures there you’ll surely find.

I will go on, I’ll find the strength
Life measures quality, not its length
One long embrace before you leave,
Share one last look, before I grieve.

There are others, that much is true,
But they be they, and they aren’t you.
And I, fair, impartial, or so I thought
Will remember well all you’ve taught.

Your place I’ll hold, you will be missed,
The fur I stroked, the nose I kissed
And as you journey to your final rest,
Take with you this … I loved you best.
Trapper, CharLee & Kallie

Ron
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by Ron »

dmedric wrote:What a nice tribute to Holly. Never easy to make this decision. My condolences.
Run Free Holly,RIP :( :(

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

I'm so sorry to hear about holly but when it's time you all seem to know. It's never easy and always so sad but it sure looks like you all had a great life.
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla

BARB J
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Post by BARB J »

I agree. You worry about knowing when the time is right, but when it's right you really do know, and have to have peace with it. I'm so sorry her time with you is over, and so glad she had a wonderful life with you. Please know there are many people understanding your loss today.

fgump
Puppy

Post by fgump »

Not sure if this picture will post, but we were on our way to the vet and caught this happy face.

It's been a tough day, but Holly is chasing a squirrel in Heaven and loving it.

RIP sweet girl, 1999-2014

Bill

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

The picture is beautiful and what a great way to remember Holly - with a HUGE smile on her face.

PCTech01
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by PCTech01 »

I am so sorry. Keep those heavenly thoughts in mind these next days. Peace.

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Post by Barb Wright »

Always the saddest of news. The "then" and "now" pictures seemed a tribute to a wonderful life that filled the space in between. One can only wish that for all dogs and their folks. You have such good memories, she will always be with you.
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13

janet909
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by janet909 »

Thank you for sharing. It is always sad to see our beloved pets and ABR friends pass the bridge but at the same time, it's so wonderful to see these beautiful dogs who were lucky enough to have a family that loved and adored them. This is obviously the case with Holly. Your love for her is palpable. What a lucky girl. I know you are in pain right now.......but she is running free with no illness or pain. Again, thank you for the beautiful tribute !!

fgump
Puppy

Post by fgump »

Thank you all for your kind words. It's just been a week but we are still mourning heavily. We keep "hearing" her in the house...catching a glimpse of her moving past a doorway...going for her leash for a last walk before bedtime. We took her nametags (one from each home she lived with us in) and added them to our keychains.

Sunday I participated in a triathlon and carried her nametag along with me, and at the first turn off a main road on the bike course, guess what the first dog I saw all day was? Yep, a Brittany, sitting nicely by her owner. My wife saw that same Britt 2 other times during the day, then at the end of the race, that Brittany walked right in front of me and I swear she winked at me while walking by.

So our Holly is sending us love through her angels :)

We're having a monument made for her, but are struggling for the right words. That is a hard thing to do, capture 15 years of doggie life in a small piece of granite. Open to suggestions. :cry: :?:

Thanks all,
Bill

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

So many of us feel your pain and sorrow because we've been down this path more times than we ever wanted. As I said to my best friend (her little Corgi died while they were on vacation) it's one of the reasons we always have 2 or 3 dogs. They help to fill the empty spaces when you lose one. Each dog is so special and can never be replaced, but saving another dog is something we can do in their honor. Hang in there - it will get better with time.