Rocket/Jack

General Brittany Discussion

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Forum rules
Welcome to general discussion!

Did your Britt make you laugh today? Did he do something so smart, you are blown away? Those puppy teeth causing you to tear up, and you need an outlet? Or do you want to post a picture of his or her latest point? This is the place for it!
mkilcz
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Rocket/Jack

Post by mkilcz »

We lost our beautiful boy Rocket on Friday, after a sudden downward spiral related to liver disease/cancer. He was 13. I don't even have words to adequately express the pain that our family is going through right now. Rocket was easily the smartest dog I've ever come across...we could always see the wheels turning in his head when confronted with a problem to solve, or when faced with a decision (as in "Should I chase the rabbit, or come back to the whistle?"). Definitely an independent thinker, but also a sweet spirit that enriched our lives and returned our love a thousand times over. He was truly one in a million.

One of my concerns right now is for our other dog, Jack The dogs had a close bond, and Jack is understandably depressed right now. We've been doing what we can to lift his spirits (long walks, plenty of attention, etc.) but any other suggestions would help. It breaks my heart all over again to see him missing his buddy.

Marge

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Re: Rocket/Jack

Post by Cindy »

I am really so sorry to hear about Rocket. Even though 13 is pretty old, they just never live long enough. I certainly feel your pain and know how terrible it is to lose a family member. I also know a bit about having one dog left behind. You are doing the right things for sure, but usually it just takes some time and sometimes another dog. When we lost the brother of our first 2 Springer/Britt mixes, Jessie was so distraught and she would not let us out of her sight for a second. Nothing we did seemed to lift her spirits until we adopted Annie, our first rescued Britt. It's still early on in the healing process so maybe you just need to give everyone some time and see how things shake out. Is there a dog park or some place where Jack can interact with other dogs? That might be worth a try. Again, my condolences. :cry: :cry: :cry:
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Post by Barb Wright »

Always the saddest of news. We have all been through this and know how hard it is while it is all so recent. Just know that good memories will overtake the feeling of devastation in time. Having Jack will help you, as having you will help Jack. Eventually Jack would probably benefit from getting a new buddy.....most dogs used to having a "partner" like that arrangement. If that is in the cards you will know when is the right time. Meanwhile it sounds like you are doing just the right things to help everyone get past this loss. Time will heal the wound.
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13

adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by adele »

I'm really very sorry. It's just so sad. I hope you and your family can be consoled somewhat by knowing that Rocket had a good life. He was happy. In the end that's all any of us can hope for.

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

Just wondering how all of you and Jack are doing. You've been on my mind ...

mkilcz
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by mkilcz »

Aww thanks...!
Well, its been a long week. We all keep expecting to see Rocket in one of his usual spots, and then when he isn't there, its another painful reminder that he's really gone.
But, life goes on. Work has been crazy, my daughter has soccer try-outs, etc.... so there's been plenty of distractions. Jack is doing OK. There's usually somebody around the house most of the day right now, so he has company. He's enjoying being out in the field and going for extra walks... In fact my daughter just let it slip that my son brought Jack along to the high school when he picked her up after practice this morning. So, it seems that he's been getting around the town too, lol.

I do have some good news to share too... We're going to get a puppy! I called Rocket's breeder just to see if they had a litter, or plans for one, and incredibly the answer was yes! 5 week old pups, ready to go at the end of the month. She remembered Rocket (because of some circumstances that happened with him before we got him), and it felt really good to tell her about what a great dog he'd become, what a good life he'd had, and how much we all loved him. But here's the really incredible part... The pups' grandmother was one of Rocket's littermates!! Of course at this point I was practically in tears! Anyway, it seems that the universe has spoken, so we're going up Saturday to pick a puppy. No dog could ever take Rocket's place, but we're all excited to meet our new family member.

It honestly pains me that we won't be doing rescue this time, but it's a good time for us to take on the challenges of raising a puppy, and it just feels right. So... Before too long I'll probably be asking lots of questions about puppy training. It's been a long time since we had a little puppy around the house, so wish us luck!

Marge

adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by adele »

So... that means your new pup is Rockets great-nephew. You'll still have some part of Rocket with you! I hope Jack appreciates having a new playmate. You know the drill, you must post pics.

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Post by Barb Wright »

The stars definitely aligned :D Happy news, happy days to come 8) Will be watching for posts and pictures :)
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

Loved hearing that bit of news. I think it will be good for everyone! :D

AuntieMom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by AuntieMom »

My condolences on the loss of Rocket. It is absolutely wonderful that you are getting a puppy that is related to him. No dog takes another's place but it is life-affirming when the universe speaks.
Trapper, CharLee & Kallie

Ron
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by Ron »

Barb Wright wrote:The stars definitely aligned :D Happy news, happy days to come 8) Will be watching for posts and pictures :)
The same here ,can't wait to see the puppy pictures, and stories ,Need puppy fix !!!!!!!
:D :D :D

tobster
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Post by tobster »

So sorry about Rocket. Nothing can lift spirits like a new puppy :) Life tends to come full circle, I'm sure you'll see Rocket in your new puppy.

MaggieRocks
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by MaggieRocks »

So sorry to hear about Rocket. We never get enough time with the ones we love. I'm sure Rocket's great-nephew will help everyone with the healing process, and Rocket will be smiling down on all of you.