Tramp is gone

General Brittany Discussion

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Forum rules
Welcome to general discussion!

Did your Britt make you laugh today? Did he do something so smart, you are blown away? Those puppy teeth causing you to tear up, and you need an outlet? Or do you want to post a picture of his or her latest point? This is the place for it!
adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Tramp is gone

Post by adele »

On Sunday morning while out for our usual off-leash walk Tramp disappeared. I haven't seen him since. I cannot express how sad this makes me. I am devistated.

If any of you have ever lost a dog because of something stupid you did I need help dealing with this. I knew Tramp was lagging behind... I kept going thinking that he would catch up. We've walked this same route many many times... I didn't start actively calling him for 5 or 10 minutes. It never occurred to me that he'd get lost. Where I lost him is only a 20 minute walk from our home and Tramp has done this walk almost every weekend for the past 2 years... I don't know what happened but I feel that if I had called him as soon as I knew he was getting behind he'd still be with us today. I just don't know how to deal with the emotions of sadness, guilt, and still a little bit of hope. I haven't had a proper nights sleep since he was lost.

I have been very busy doing all the things you're supposed to do when you lose a dog and walking walking walking trying to find him. Last night I couldn't think of anything more to do. We watched TV - and for that I feel guilty too. I KNOW that I can't keep up the pace of the search - people have to rest. But as soon as I stop the twisting in my stomach begins, I start sobbing so my husband starts sobbing what good is that? How do I cope with this?

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Re: Tramp is gone

Post by Barb Wright »

Oh Adele, what a sad turn of events and so sorry to hear what has occurred. And I immediately thought that maybe he just got lured away by some enticing smell or animal, and will show up soon. He knows the way home and if he is able he will come back. We always blame ourselves, but you certainly should not feel guilty, you in no way caused this to happen. Sometimes events overtake us, BAM out of the blue, and we're just caught up in heart-breaking situations. Keep your hopes up that he can make it back home....we're all praying for him and for you.
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13

AuntieMom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by AuntieMom »

Oh no. Adele, I am so sorry. I just recently went through what you are experiencing, except it was an ABR foster dog. I was not fostering him at the time but had fostered him and was very attached to him. I just could not give up on him. He was lost on public land that spans many acres and is divided by a highway and a main "drag" into a neighborhood.

Some advice we got was to set out his blanket or laundry to give him a scent home. I advise asking friends to help you search. I was a basket case and it meant the world to me to have a calm friend hiking with me. I went out to look for him during the day and tried to come home and rest as soon as it got dark. It was a helpless feeling and I sobbed a lot too. We had subzero temps and thinking about him at night time was the worst for me. It is hard dealing with the various feelings that surface and I just relied on my faith. Ironically, I recalled Tramp's story and reread it. Remembering your diligence to get him gave me strength.

In the end, I was the one that found him on the side of the highway after he had been hit by a car. He was near death and the vet did not know if he would even make it through the night. But he did. He has fully recovered from his injuries and will be going to his new home this weekend.

I hope Tramp makes his way home.

(((HUGS)))
Trapper, CharLee & Kallie

AuntieMom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by AuntieMom »

This is about a dog that went missing around the same time as we were looking for the Britt I mentioned. http://www.omaha.com/living/how-omaha-c ... bd8d6.html The laundry thing really worked for that lady's dog!

mkilcz
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by mkilcz »

I'm so sorry Adele! Please don't be so hard on yourself. Barb is right... sometimes these things happen.
I agree with the suggestion about leaving a piece of clothing or blanket out for Tramp as a scent item. One time when my husband lost Rocket hunting up in PA he left his jacket on the ground at the last place where they had been together. It took several hours, but Rocket eventually came back to that spot, and Steve found him sitting there waiting. It's worth a try!
I'm going to hold on to the hope that Tramp will return safely to you. We already know that he's a smart, tough dog.
Hugs!!

Marge

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

Unfortunately, a number of us know exactly what you are going through. When I first read your post I let out such a loud gasp and "oh no" that the dogs came in to check on me. You absolutely can't blame yourself, especially not when this was a "usual" walking route and you'd all done it many times. I know, much easier said than done! I'm trying to think of something you may not have done ... did you check Craigs List? Look under the lost and found and also post that he is missing. We had a small beagle turn up in our garage with an invisible fence collar on, and that was the first thing we were told to do. Speaking of beagles, we had them growing up and they would take off for 5 or more days at a time if given the chance. They always came back, sometimes with the assistance of our local police department! Most imported right now is that you try to get some sleep so you don't get sick. If you're like me, I can cope so much better when I'm not exhausted so I'll do whatever is needed to clock some hours. A nice big glass of wine? A sleep aid? Whatever it takes. I know we ALL wish there was some way we could get Tramp back to you. Keep the faith ...
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla

adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by adele »

I still don't understand how he could get lost there. I have always felt safe there with the dogs off leash because I thought that if the worst happened and we got separated they know the way home. I was careless and it cost me my dog. Needless to say Lola has not been off leash since.

I will put out all my clothes if it would help but I've been over and over and over the area. There are no tracks. I have what I am calling the stinky post. I've stapled the styrofoam meat containers and blood sponges that come when you buy meat in the supermarket to a tree right near the exit. I've smeared it with peanut butter, and green tripe and stuck pieces of pepperone onto nearby branches. At the base of the tree I've put out kibble. This morning I poured bacon greese on it. I will put out some of my clothes this afternoon.

I have posted him on a website called "lost dogs nova scotia" and "helping lost pets". I can't find anything about Craigslist for Nova Scotia in general... only the city of Halifax and that is far from me. I think I've got pretty good coverage of the area with posters but will put out more posters this afternoon.

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

What about putting out some kind of crate he could go into with your clothes/food in it?

AuntieMom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by AuntieMom »

Adele, have you looked for Tramp in the area where you originally found him? (Or are the spots one and the same.)

adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by adele »

The thing about the stinky post and putting out clothes and/or a crate is that I don't know where he is. Those things would work if he were to happen within smelling distance but he could be anywhere. Miles from the stinky post. I will try but I don't think he is hanging around where I lost him... there are no tracks there.

I have thought about checking out where I originally found him... but that is 12 miles away (which I know isn't too far for a dog) but also between where I live and where I originally found him there is a big community. He couldn't get there without passing through a town. I could walk out there tomorrow - I could post flyers there too.

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

Have you been taking Lola with you when you go out looking? Maybe he would smell her and come or maybe that Brittany nose would help you track him down. I'm just trying to come up with more options.....

adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by adele »

I have been taking her but I can't count on her Brit nose. She is having a ball on our search trips, sticking her nose into every bunny and pheasant track. Frankly I don't think she misses Tramp (which stupidly bothers me). I'm also not letting her off leash so even if she did smell him she wouldn't be able to track him down. He might smell her though. He loved her.

It's been 6 days he's been gone. I have taken a weeks vacation to search and put out flyers. I will continue the search this weekend but on Monday it's back to work. It's really up to Tramp. He has to trust someone or find his own way (have I said that already -- it keeps ringing in my head). Walking for 4 hours out in the fields and forest and covering such a tiny tiny area that he could be in... it doesn't seem possible. When I stand out there and look at vast landscape I start crying again. What I wouldn't give to take back that 10 minutes... Keep an eye on your dogs even in their usual habitat!

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

We think about this kind of situation all the time because we mostly hike with our dogs off leash. We have Pippa and Layla trained to e-collars now but ... if they were to get out of range the collar would be worthless. I really think you have done all you possibly can (and more) and now it's up to Tramp. You found each other the first time and that may just happen again. Wish there was something more I could say or do. Hang in there if you can :cry:

MaggieRocks
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by MaggieRocks »

I keep checking every day, hoping for an update that Tramp is back. I know this is small comfort, but remember-he has been through this before and has shown he is a survivor. You are in my thoughts, and I am staying optimistic that he is going to find his way home.

dianek
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Post by dianek »

Adele, so, so sorry to hear about Tramp. Keeping you in our prayers that he is found. Diane
Diane Klonowski