My sweet, sweet, Monty... :(

General Brittany Discussion

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Forum rules
Welcome to general discussion!

Did your Britt make you laugh today? Did he do something so smart, you are blown away? Those puppy teeth causing you to tear up, and you need an outlet? Or do you want to post a picture of his or her latest point? This is the place for it!
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

My sweet, sweet, Monty... :(

Post by Mark »

I know I haven't been around in quite a while... but for those who have been around for a long time..

Monty isn't doing so.. hot right now. He is 12 now, and we brought him into the Vet last week because he seemed to have a very narrow window of comfortable temperature- below 72 and it was too cold, above 74 and he was panting. His blood tests came back with liver issues. An X-ray and an ultrasound later, and they are pretty sure he has Hepatocellular Carcinoma. A biopsy would tell for sure, but even if it is not Carcinoma, it would be lymphoma, which while more treatable might only buy him another couple months. It has pretty much spread all over the liver, so surgery isn't an option.

We decided not to do the biopsy, as Monty has never done well post-anestesia (e.g.- acting very lethargic for a week or two afterwords), and the prognosis either way is not good. The Vet gave us some steroids, and liver support drugs, and said he might have 3-6 months.

The good news is, other than the temperature control issue (and we can keep the house at 73F ;) ), he is perfectly fine. Still eating well, plays with Roscoe, enjoys trotting around the property, wags his tail a lot, etc..

So now we start the delicate dance of trying to figure out if he is comfortable, happy, etc.. and if not, when the time is to let him go. Ugh.. :(
Wheeeeeeeee!!!

Monty.
He's so hot right now.
Monty.

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Re: My sweet, sweet, Monty... :(

Post by Cindy »

Good to hear from you Mark but really sorry to hear about Monty. It sure seems that many of us are dealing with the aging/sick dog issue. And it sure doesn't seem very long ago they were all young. Geez, watching the Monty cam seems like yesterday. I wish there was better news for him but I know you guys will take advantage of your remaining time with him. He's certainly been a great dog and has been by your side through so many milestones of your life. It's always tough seeing them get sick but you've got to go through the sadness to ever have the pure joy that these dogs bring to your life. Hang in there and please keep us posted.

PS How's the rest of the family doing?
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mark »

Thanks Cindy. Yes, we are getting to that point.. the ABR board in this form is.. well.. about 12-years-old now.

Re the rest of the family- everyone is doing fantastic. So great, in fact, that it is a big part of the reason I haven't been around. Roscoe has fully settled into life here, and LOVES the property. Given the chance I don't think he'd ever come inside! The kids are keeping us quite busy! Gabe is now 6, and just finished up Kindergarten. Quinn is 2 and is our little pistol! He stops for no one! :D Jen is doing great.. loving being at home with Quinn and the dogs during the day.
Wheeeeeeeee!!!

Monty.
He's so hot right now.
Monty.

britlover
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by britlover »

I too enjoyed the Monty updates and beautiful family photos from years gone by. Wishing all the best on this journey with Monty.
Piper, and Bryce

Ron
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by Ron »

Great to hear from you Mark, So sorry to hear about Monty. Enjoy the time you have with him. Things are going good here, the fur gang are doing great, we have 4 now, Chester,Chance, Molly, Max(we adopted a year ago.) He's 4years old L/W boy , that follows me every were I go. Keep us posted.

dianek
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Post by dianek »

Mark, enjoy your time with Monty. It is never ever easy letting go but you will always have the memories. I always remember the picture you posted of him soaring in the air. You were blessed to have such a great companion. Diane
Diane Klonowski

Muddy Creek Britts
Zinger
Zinger

Post by Muddy Creek Britts »

Sorry to hear about Monty. I hope he proves the vet wrong and sticks around awhile longer. You all are in my prayers.
Brian
Muddy Creek Britts
"When a dog runs at you, whistle for him." ~~Henry David Thoreau

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Post by Barb Wright »

Although it was with a rather sad report about Monty, it was still nice to "hear" from you Mark. I'm sure you could fill a page or two bringing us up to date on all that has been happening with your lovely family. I hope that you can keep Monty feeling good for longer than expectations. The spirit of these dogs is awesome, so just be there for him with positive vibes, that alone will keep him going as long as possible. Hugs......
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13

PCTech01
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by PCTech01 »

Mark,

I am sorry to read the news. Please take comfort in knowing your dog loves you and that bond cannot be broken no matter what heartache comes along. Peace.

PCTech

Scarlett
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Post by Scarlett »

Awwww. I remember Monty. So sorry he is not well.

I dread that time for my Maggie.

AuntieMom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by AuntieMom »

Mark,

I am so sorry to hear about Monty. Can empathize with you as Scout has become frail. Time is short and it feels like a black cloud hanging over our heads. I would not trade a moment of our time with him despite the sadness we have right now.

Glad your family is doing well. Seems not that long ago that Gabe was just born (I remember because my grandson also just turned 6.)
Trapper, CharLee & Kallie