Sleep well Monty..

General Brittany Discussion

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Forum rules
Welcome to general discussion!

Did your Britt make you laugh today? Did he do something so smart, you are blown away? Those puppy teeth causing you to tear up, and you need an outlet? Or do you want to post a picture of his or her latest point? This is the place for it!
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sleep well Monty..

Post by Mark »

With a very heavy heart, I want to let y'all know that Monty has crossed the bridge. He held on quite well, but about a week ago, simply stopped eating. We brought him up to a lake in northern MN this weekend, and he loved it. Even though he wasn't eating, he was still happily exploring, and while we had to carry him down, he wanted to go down on the dock and experience all of the new lake smells at every opportunity. Towards the end of the weekend, we could tell he was getting extremely weak. Monday, he spent the day in the yard, watching Jen and the kids play, and spend time in the garden. Then yesterday morning, he simply let us know it was time. Something had changed in his eyes, and he could barely stand. So yesterday we brought him into our vet, and we helped him transition. Monty had a fantastic life...

12 years ago, almost to the day, Monty picked me. I went to the breeder and had pick of the litter. This didn't matter. As I reached down to pick up one of the pups that seemed to like me, Monty ran over, hip-checked his brother out of the way, and jumped into my arms. You can see the joy in his eyes that I called his bluff.. ;)

He was always one to find comfort in some of the strangest positions:

But man, was he as cute as a button:

Which was a good thing, as he could be a little punk as a pup (as some of the old-timers may remember!). Someone along the way suggested a spray bottle with some vinegar in it to discourage nipping. This was a terrible suggestion, as we ended up with a soaked vinegar smelly dog, who was still nipping (sorry about spraying you with vinegar buddy..):

Did I mention he was a cute as a button?

He spent his early years, as king of Princeton NJ. Exploring everywhere he could:

At a local field he mastered his "Thousand yard stare":

And became quite the watchdog at the door:

And even learned how to use his ears for lift:

Deep snow was always fun:

And he even trained for 2 marathons, and countless half marathons with Jen. His longest training run? 22 miles:

A new addition to the family arrived in the form of Gabe, and Mont had a new buddy:

Soon we left our life in Princeton, and moved to MN. Lots more snow, and living on acreage, plenty of wildlife to watch:

Lots of hugs from Gabe during our move and renovation:

And fun picnics in the woods at the back of the property:

After a summer of Suzy, and Roscoe eventually joining the 4-legged crew, Quinn came along:

As energy levels subsided, and his body grew tired, he still always had a comfy place:

And one glorious last trip to the lake...

I still can't believe you are gone buddy. I know in my heart you are finally at peace, and I hope I see you again some day. You were more than I could have ever hoped for. Sleep well Monty..
Wheeeeeeeee!!!

Monty.
He's so hot right now.
Monty.

mkilcz
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Re: Sleep well Monty..

Post by mkilcz »

I'm so very sorry, Mark. It's so easy to love a dog and so hard to let them go when the time comes.
Monty was a beautiful boy, and so lucky to have had such a great life with you and your family.
Thank you for sharing your pictures.
Hugs!

Marge

britlover
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by britlover »

So sorry for you loss. I enjoyed the Monty stories over the years, he was indeed a special boy. Such a beautiful tribute to Monty, a true testament to how much he was loved by his family.
Piper, and Bryce

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

I'm sitting here with tears running down my face because I knew Monty (through you) from his puppy hood, the terrible 2s, the Monty cam, and on up. All of those pictures were such a great reminder of the wonderful times you all had together. He was your first "kid" and nothing will replace that. I'm glad he was able to let you know the time had come so you're not left second guessing and wondering what if. I am truly so sorry Mark - for you and your entire family. Monty was one of a kind ... and definitely cute as a button :cry: :cry: :cry:
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla

StFrost
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by StFrost »

So sorry for your loss, but the picture yearbook was awesome! What a way to send a loved one on....

AuntieMom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by AuntieMom »

What a touching tribute, Mark. Monty had charisma and his antics made him a legend. My sympathy to you and your family. Here is my last haiku for Monty.

Sweet Monty, life loved you.
He is hot on a new trail.
Good journey, sweet boy.
Trapper, CharLee & Kallie

Helen E.
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Post by Helen E. »

Mark, I am so sorry to hear about Monty. :cry: Can't believe its been 12 years since the Monty cam, coffee mug, etc. He was the cutest puppy and his puppyhood kept us entertained. The pictures are beautiful even though they made me cry. :cry: Still love the one of Monty "flying." They never live as long as we hope, but the memories last forever.

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Post by Barb Wright »

Mark, you've made it possible for all of us to share in Monty's life with you....thank you for all the wonderful photos, and the Monty stories. His passing is so very sorrowful, but the memories will live on for all of us. The final tribute of photos was so stirring, seen with great sadness but a certain happiness in knowing his life was the best it could be for a wonderful dog and a wonderful family. Sincerest sympathies, I know how you feel.
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13

janet909
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by janet909 »

I shouldn't have read this at work because now I am sitting at the desk crying. I am so sorry for your loss. What a beautiful tribute. He will be so missed by his loving family. That is obvious. He was such a lucky dog to have you. I hope that he is with Sheppy, running through the fields. My sincere condolences. Blessings to you all.

Ron
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by Ron »

OH Mark, so sorry to hear. Always enjoyed the stories here on Monty, He will be greatly missed . :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

dianek
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Post by dianek »

I too cried and I think we all fell in love with Monty through your posts. I hope he is running with my Sierra & Darby and all the other Brits. Lots of hugs to you & your family. Diane
Diane Klonowski

Muddy Creek Britts
Zinger
Zinger

Post by Muddy Creek Britts »

Mark,

My deepest sympathy. Monty's hip check was the smartest of all his antics. He was so lucky to have won your heart. What a beautiful tribute to show that. Yesterday is a contrived concept. Monty will always be with you. Prayers that you all feel his presence beside you through this shifting. Monty will always run freely through your hearts and souls. Peace to Monty and to you and yours, brother.
Brian
Muddy Creek Britts
"When a dog runs at you, whistle for him." ~~Henry David Thoreau

Sooz
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Post by Sooz »

Oh wow, I'm so sorry to hear that Monty has passed. What a wonderful life he had with lots of nature to explore and a loving family to cuddle with.
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." – Unknown

kat
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by kat »

Oh Mark, I just saw this. I am so, so sorry, what a tremendous loss. Monte was legend here, I feel like one of us is gone. Your pictures here are perfect, I remember all his antics (sorry about how much I laughed at your "salad" posts in the beginning), his adventures, Oh! and the April Fools pranks. I'm so sorry.
My mom is a Kat - How cool is that?

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mark »

Thanks for the kind words everyone. It is getting better day by day... knowing that he is now at peace makes things somewhat easier.. :)
Wheeeeeeeee!!!

Monty.
He's so hot right now.
Monty.