The reason I haven't been here....

General Brittany Discussion

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Forum rules
Welcome to general discussion!

Did your Britt make you laugh today? Did he do something so smart, you are blown away? Those puppy teeth causing you to tear up, and you need an outlet? Or do you want to post a picture of his or her latest point? This is the place for it!
MaggieRocks
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

The reason I haven't been here....

Post by MaggieRocks »

We lost Maggie back in April. We were both totally devastated. We're not even sure what happened. The vet's best guess is a tumor. We had her in for x-rays and had blood tests done. She was scheduled for an ultrasound, but passed away before it was done.

I'm not handling the loss very well at all. I had to call 3 times to cancel the ultrasound because every time I tried to talk to them, I cried. In fact, I cried every day for weeks. It's been 9 months now, and I still grieve for her. Not crying so much anymore, but I talk to her every single day. I tell her I love her and I miss her. I stare at her photos. Sometimes, I want to frame more photos, and other times, I think maybe I should put them all away. One time my husband and I were driving somewhere and out of the blue he said,"I still think about her every day." She was so special.

How do you get over losing your heart dog? We love Emma to pieces, and she is absolutely the sweetest little girl ever. And we still have Sammy, of course, who is starting to show his age. But I miss Maggie. I can't even think about getting another dog. I just keep thinking, we had the best dog ever-how could another dog ever compare to her?

So, that's why I haven't been around. It was too painful to write about Maggie, and I couldn't bear to read about other dogs. Somehow, I know I have to move on, but I sure don't know how to do it.

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Re: The reason I haven't been here....

Post by Cindy »

I am just so sorry to hear about Maggie and to lose a dog so suddenly is really difficult. Well, it's terrible no matter when or how much time you've had to prepare. But, if it's at all reassuring, I still miss every one of our dogs (and horses and cats) all the time. Sure, as the days go by it gets a little easier and you get to a point where the tears don't flow as quickly but I still miss them terribly. Kayla's been gone since the beginning of October and John and I talk about her all the time like she's still here. You're so lucky to have had such a special dog in your life but I really have no answers to how you move on. Time helps, for sure. We've just tried to focus more on the dogs we currently have, doing things with them that they really enjoy, and trying to create new and different memories. It's not easy and it's certainly not the same.... never will be. I truly am sorry :cry: :cry: :cry:
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla

adleblanc
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Post by adleblanc »

I'm so sorry to hear about Maggie. I have dogs that have passed over ten years ago and I still talk about them all the time as I miss them very much. It took my Dad two years to get over his last Brittany and asked me to be there to bury Brett's ashes as he knew he couldn't do it on his own. ((hugs))
Life is like a dog sled team. If you ain't the lead dog, the scenery never changes. ~Lewis Grizzard

kat
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by kat »

Oh geez, I'm so sorry, what a huge loss. We've lost so many this last year here. I completely understand how you are feeling, I wish I had some advice, but only time will help. Hang in there, remind yourself how lucky you were to have had her even if for too short of a time. RIP Maggie, run free and proud...
My mom is a Kat - How cool is that?

MaggieRocks
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by MaggieRocks »

Thanks, everyone, for your kind words. She was only 10 years old, which is another reason why it was such a shock. We got her when she was just a pup. My husband said she should have come with a sign around her neck that said, "I will break your heart one day."

Muddy Creek Britts
Zinger
Zinger

Post by Muddy Creek Britts »

I know that pain well. My Maggie has been gone for 6 months. She was (I hate past tense) my heart dog too. This house is so different without her. My boys grate my nerves most of the time. It's like living in a huge, empty hole.
Brian
Muddy Creek Britts
"When a dog runs at you, whistle for him." ~~Henry David Thoreau

gagesbarb
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by gagesbarb »

Several of my friends have lost dogs recently and it is so painful, no matter what the circumstances...
When we lost our Sam, an ABR person who had been involved in helping us get Gage shared a thought
that I found comforting, though nothing can really take away the pain...
I paraphrase--She said she believed that God gave dogs shorter life spans so we could have the opportunity
to experience more relationships with these incredible creatures...each is unique, but each have
something to give us or teach us...
and I believe we always have their energy with us...
weird, I suppose, but I still feel all of my dogs and cats with me, though I still miss them terribly...

janet909
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by janet909 »

I'm so sorry !!! We lost our Shep last May. It seems like yesterday. I guess we were fortunate in the sense that he was diagnosed with renal failure in September and lasted longer than the vet predicted. This gave us a lot of time to prepare mentally though it certainly didn't make the end any easier. We cried for months. Now, while we miss him, we have moved on. I am now so thankful that we had him in our lives, if only for 5 1/2 short years. He taught us a lot about love and we gave him the best years of his life. (I truly believe that since his previous owner dumped him at a kill shelter.) The pain that we went through it was worth it. He will always hold a special spot in our hearts as Maggie will ALWAYS hold a special spot in yours. It will get easier. I promise.

PCTech01
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by PCTech01 »

gagesbarb wrote:God gave dogs shorter life spans so we could have the opportunity
to experience more relationships with these incredible creatures...each is unique, but each have
something to give us or teach us...
GAGESBARB: That is a great quote and I am so glad that you shared it here! Thank You :D

PCTECH

AuntieMom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by AuntieMom »

I am so sorry about Maggie. I have loved all our dogs but there are some that truly become part of your heart. Maggie was one of those. It is especially hard when they go so fast and unexpected that you do not feel like you had a chance to say goodbye. One of my heart dogs died 15 years ago and I still miss him. The pain we feel when our heart dog first dies reminds me of broken glass. The pain is so raw. But then over time it becomes sea glass – still there but the edges sanded down. Maggie was loved and she knew it.
Trapper, CharLee & Kallie

dianek
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Post by dianek »

I totally understand. We lost Sierra, my heart dog, and 17 months later we lost Darby, aka Puck, my husband's heart dog. We felt it would never be fair to another Britt so we adopted Colt, a part Britt rescue. Last year we adopted a mixed breed from Athens, GA. Sierra & Darby were pretty much perfect dogs and we thought it wouldn't be fair to another Britt as we would be always comparing.

I felt like I lost a child with Sierra. May you find happiness with whatever you adopt. All rescues need a good & loving home no matter whatever their breed.

Diane
Diane Klonowski

AuntieMom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by AuntieMom »

dianek wrote:we thought it wouldn't be fair to another Britt as we would be always comparing.
I felt that way after we lost our miniature schnauzer. I thought there would be no more heart dogs for me. We had always had Britts too so we got into volunteering with ABR. It feels like every Britt we help is a tribute to the mini schnauzer who was my best friend for 15 beautiful years. It is like he is watching over me from the Bridge - we have met so many amazing people and Britts because of him.

PS - I was wrong about no more heart dogs for me but part of that is probably because I was not comparing (since the breeds were different.)
Last edited by AuntieMom on Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trapper, CharLee & Kallie

Acole
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Post by Acole »

I lost my "heart " dog Hunter a 100 lb yellow Lab that I had since birth (I still have his mother). Sammy was my need to feel better dog. When we saw him at the rescue he reminded me of Hunter...funny a Britt that reminds me of my Lab. I'm afraid Sammy has become my new "heart" dog...I love this little guy so much and all the Britt traits are just a huge bonus!

So sorry for your loss...I have felt your pain many times and it never gets easier...but it helped me to rescue a dog in need.

I still miss my Hunter dog.

gagesbarb
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by gagesbarb »

Dogs have so much to teach us! I think I read somewhere that the "dog" species has more internal variability than any other species--chihuahuas to Great Danes--all are dogs...
like the ways people grieve and what they do next is so variable...
I also try to model from my dogs to live more in the moment...I tend to be a worrier, and am always thinking what can go wrong and how I will handle it...
the joy they take in sniffing out that rabbit or getting an ear scratched... and how so many rescued dogs who have had a sad life can let that life go and revel in the better present...
amazing creatures!!!