Hello

General Brittany Discussion

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Forum rules
Welcome to general discussion!

Did your Britt make you laugh today? Did he do something so smart, you are blown away? Those puppy teeth causing you to tear up, and you need an outlet? Or do you want to post a picture of his or her latest point? This is the place for it!
LucyK
Puppy

Re: Hello

Post by LucyK »

Janet, thanks so much, I think there's much there I can use, though our circumstances are clearly very different, chiefly the idea of introducing training into progressively more challenging surroundings, not to be afraid of a lot of repetition of the basics, and indeed, not to rush her. The way you use the e-collar sounds really useful but I'm cautiously optimistic that we can manage without. I'm amazed at what you've clearly achieved, and find it very heartening what can be done with patience and determination.

Our days seem to go in an s-curve: delighted and excited in the mornings, with some lows of anxiety on both sides in the afternoon, and a loopy phase on Elfie's part around dinner time! The evenings and nights are pretty peaceful and cosy.

I'm sure I'll have lots more questions, for you and the others, for now we're going to have a quick game of tug and a pee break!

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

Once again, I'm in complete agreement with Janet. Until we adopted Layla, we never had a problem teaching reliable recall using a long lead line, time, patience AND treats along with a zillion repetitions. But Layla was a real challenge for us as she was so unfocused and active that we really couldn't get her mind. So we resorted to the e-collar (same kind with a vibration, nick, or shock option and we only use the vibration). We used the same techniques as Janet described and within a few months Layla was completely reliable off leash and probably has the best recall of any of our dogs. I wasn't a fan of the e-collar in the beginning but we were desperate to get her focus and nothing else we did seemed to work. Since we were able to train her to our invisible fence fairly quickly we thought we might have similar luck with the e-collar. Pippa is now trained to the e-collar as well and we will ALWAYS use them with our dogs ... the main reason being that should they lose their hearing (as Kayla did) we still have a way of calling them back to us. Our friend has an e-collar that emits a sound rather than the vibration. It definitely works but if they lose their hearing then you're out of luck. Our dogs get so excited when they see the e-collars come out as they know it means a new adventure!
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla

LucyK
Puppy

Post by LucyK »

Thanks Cindy too.

I really will bear in mind about the e-collars, I didn't really know about them except I'd heard about the shock option which I thought always sounded pretty desperate, though it might be a matter of life or death I suppose. For now we'll get a long line, whistle and a good supply of chicken frankfurters and work up to recall in more and more challenging environments.

We've still only had her a week, she's still doing really well. Went dog-walking from the local refuge (not where Elfie came from) with a few real hard cases today, and came back feeling very much more relaxed and blessed about our girl, I really think we've got a good one. She was much more relaxed about my going out than on previous occasions too; Tom took her for her walk and they seem to be bonding well. A stuffed Kong helps, and not leaving at the same moment as the camion des poubelles (garbage truck/dustbin lorry) came by, which was what happened the other day, so the poor mite probably thought it had taken me away - that was the nearest to a bark we've had from her! :? Thought perhaps today I ought to sneak in and get straight in the shower so she didn't get upset by the other dog smells, but I couldn't get past her. As they say, you can't cheat on your dog! :D She didn't seem too bothered anyway.

Anyway, here's another picture

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

Such a pretty face and love the curls/waves :) :)

gagesbarb
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by gagesbarb »

what a beautiful face...
tomorrow, we will have had our newest boy for 5 weeks...when we got back from our walk this afternoon,
he was so happy--jumping around, play-bowing, barking, trying to get the cats or Gage to play...first time we've seen that...
made me smile to see him :lol:
thanks Cindy and Janet for the reminders of how long it takes for these guys to really settle in...

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

thanks Cindy and Janet for the reminders of how long it takes for these guys to really settle in..
Annie, the first dog we adopted, was a real sweetheart. Although she settled into the house and routine fairly quickly, it took 3 years before she'd roll over and let me rub her belly! And Layla is just now learning (after 3 years) that sitting still while getting affection is really quite nice :roll: :roll: The lesson I've learned is never stop trying and never give up.

LucyK
Puppy

Post by LucyK »

I do feel so lucky, we had rolling over and belly rubs after just a couple of days (well, Elfie did anyway!), and she really is very trusting and calm. One of the lovely things is how good she is at other people's houses; I had coffee with a friend this morning, and she lay down or sat quietly almost all the time, despite our eating cake and the presence of cat food in full view and cat smells everywhere. I kept her lead on of course but rarely had to restrain her with it, told her to stay while I took my cup to the kitchen and she did, and left my friend to hold her on the doorstep while I went to the bakers next door. She accepts fuss from other people very nicely without being OTT about it. She really is being Elfie the Angel Dog just now, though I'm on the alert, and even angels can roll in poo! :roll:

AuntieMom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by AuntieMom »

Welcome to our new members! I am sorry not to come as much but will come more often now that we have new people. I have learned so much on these boards and love hearing about everyone’s Brittanys.
Trapper, CharLee & Kallie