Scout crossed the bridge

General Brittany Discussion

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Forum rules
Welcome to general discussion!

Did your Britt make you laugh today? Did he do something so smart, you are blown away? Those puppy teeth causing you to tear up, and you need an outlet? Or do you want to post a picture of his or her latest point? This is the place for it!
AuntieMom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Scout crossed the bridge

Post by AuntieMom »

Scout crossed the bridge on Monday. He was in renal failure. It has been a hard week. We got his ashes back today.

Some of you remember Dave Powers. Scout met Dave at the ABR picnic in the summer of 2009. Dave told me “Scout is a really cool dog.” And he really was. Scout enjoyed life, especially hunting and attending ABR picnics in Colorado. He was foster brother to 57 Brittanys, including many puppies. He was patient with all homeless dogs who temporarily shared his space. He was patient but always top dog to his fur siblings Trapper, Kallie and CharLee.

My husband and I both heartbroken. The girls do not seem to miss him but they know something has changed. Trapper has looked for him.

This is a photoshow I put together of Scout's life. http://www.photoshow.com/watch/pb2PB8Yn
Trapper, CharLee & Kallie

Dogmom
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Re: Scout crossed the bridge

Post by Dogmom »

Dear Nancy-

I am so sorry for your loss of Scout. He was a beautiful member of your family and I enjoyed reading your posts about him here over the years. One thing I know for sure is that he KNEW he was loved and was lucky to have you and Harlan as his parents. May time bring more happy memories of him without the pain you are feeling now. ((((HUGS))))

Dogmom

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

I am really so sorry to hear about Scout. It's always terrible to lose any dog but Scout was a special one for sure and what a great example he was to all of your fosters. I'm always a little envious of animals when they seem to be able to accept and move on while their humans get stuck in the grieving process. Pippa and Layla hardly looked back when we lost Kayla but we're still missing her every day. The comment Dave made about Scout being a "really cool dog" put a big smile on my face :D so thanks for sharing that. Again, my sympathies to you and your family.

PS John and I just watched your slide show which was outstanding. We were quite impressed with the number of pictures you had with ALL of your dogs in it. I've only been able to take 3 of those as mine will never all sit and stay at the same time!! Excellent job.
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla

gagesbarb
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by gagesbarb »

so sorry for your loss...no matter how old they are or how much you know that they are in a better place,
it still tears out your heart to lose them...
I have only recently joined the forum "officially," but have been reading your posts for many years...
I have so much admiration for your knowledge and compassion and insights...
sending wishes for some peace for all of you...

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Post by Barb Wright »

Oh Nancy, I was so saddened to hear about your Scout passing on. I recall meeting him just the once at the Colorado picnic, but feel I know him more from all your posts about him (and the rest of the pack) over the years here on the message board. I know the other dogs will help keep you both centered and get past this great loss. Your hearts are big from all the dogs you have loved and will mend again, in time. My sincerest condolences.
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13

Helen E.
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Post by Helen E. »

I'm so sorry to hear about Scout. :cry: He was a beautiful boy. Sending hugs from Florida.

janet909
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by janet909 »

I know I have already sent you messages elsewhere but I just want to tell you that I am still thinking of you and Harlan because I know that it has only been 1 week so the pain is still raw and I am sure that there are still tears being shed. When we lost Shep, they would just burst out of us at the most random times for many weeks. I am so happy that I got to meet Scout. He was a sweet boy and I know he was your true hunting dog. How lucky for a bird dog to get to follow that dream. I know the enthusiasm of these guys in the field and I am glad that he got to experience that with his dad, who loved him so. I have told you how lucky he was to score the two of you for parents and I mean that from my soul. He got the gift that many dogs can only dream of: love, comfort, shelter, food, stability and more love. (Not to mention many siblings...haha) Lucky boy RIP. :cry: :cry: :cry:

MaggieRocks
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by MaggieRocks »

I am so very, very sorry. It tears your heart out, expected or not. We still grieve for Maggie after one year. But, our lives are richer for having shared them with these wonderful dogs.

AuntieMom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by AuntieMom »

Thank you for your kind words everyone. I know most of you (if not all) have gone through this. This has sure been a hard week. We were talking with someone on Friday and Harlan said “We have four … (then he looked at me sadly and corrected himself) … three Brittanys.”

Cindy, my trick to taking pictures and having the dogs look at the camera is treats. Whoever has the camera has treats and that increases the likelihood that our dogs will actually be looking at the camera. Although I have always loved the Halloween photo where Scout is looking right at the camera (Count Scoutula!) but all the other dogs are looking away.

I had a dream about Scout shortly after he died and it is too funny not to share. I dreamed there were hundreds of police dogs with their vests on. They were all marching in formation. Scout stepped out of a church and joined them but he was zig zagging and joyfully running around them and through them. He was smiling the entire time. The police dogs did not seem to mind that this hunting dog had decided to march to his own beat.
Trapper, CharLee & Kallie

janet909
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by janet909 »

:lol: :lol: :lol: A fabulous story !!!! A Brittany could never focus enough to march in formation anyway (well, I can only speak for mine). Thanks for sharing and for giving me a morning smile. It does get easier, albeit slowly.

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

What a great dream and I can totally see that happening!!
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla

gagesbarb
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by gagesbarb »

and why we love our dogs!
I think they want to please us, and learn quickly,
but... they are also always thinking, and sometimes figure out
things on their own too well :D

PCTech01
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by PCTech01 »

Nancy,

I am so sorry to read the news regarding Scout's passing. These are tough days and I am glad to read that you are now having funny dreams about him as you suffer through your loss. I am also happy to read the little trick about how to make those maddening Brits LOOK AT the camera!

PCTech

dianek
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Post by dianek »

Nancy, I know exactly how you feel. We have had several dogs but Sierra was my heart. My Sierra passed on March 8, 2011 and I still miss her very much. We had Darby and she passed August 2, 2012. It was hard losing Darby but much harder for my husband. Since Darby's passing, we adopted Colt, a brittany/beagle mix and last year a mixed 9 year old who could not adjust to a new baby in the household. I love these dogs and would do anything for them BUT there will never be another Sierra. Her ashes will be with me when I pass and somehow that is very comforting to me.

Bless you and all the happy years you had with Scout.

Hugs, Diane
Diane Klonowski