Dogs vs Bear

General Brittany Discussion

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Forum rules
Welcome to general discussion!

Did your Britt make you laugh today? Did he do something so smart, you are blown away? Those puppy teeth causing you to tear up, and you need an outlet? Or do you want to post a picture of his or her latest point? This is the place for it!
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Dogs vs Bear

Post by Cindy »

I was so proud of our girls yesterday ... we were taking a hike in the Blue Ridge Mountains and rounded a curve in the trail to come face to face with an adult black bear. She/he was probably 100 yards ahead of us so just a little too far to get our hands on the dogs. Before we could do anything, they stopped dead in their tracks and quickly came back to us (chickens!!) when we called them. The bear meandered on up the side of the hill and never looked back. WHEW! I got the picture of the dogs but not the bear!! :oops: We are lucky that our black bears (in the Shenandoah National Forest) are pretty used to seeing people and even luckier this one didn't have a baby with her!

Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla

gagesbarb
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Re: Dogs vs Bear

Post by gagesbarb »

wow! that probably got your heart rates up!
I would say the dogs were smart :D

And what a beautiful picture of the dogs...
That would make a great picture for the facebook page...
you should send it to the social media team (no idea how, though...)

gagesbarb
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by gagesbarb »

looking at the picture again...
Layla looks bigger than Pippa...how big are they?
I am more sensitive to size...our dogs have always been considered "big"
at around 40 pounds...however,
JJ was over 70 pounds when we got him...clearly too heavy...
he is in much better shape now, but we expect he should end up 55 pounds?
I tend to go by body make-up rather than weight...so we'll see...

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

Layla is bigger than Pippa. She weighs about 38 lbs but is quite long legged and fairly thin despite all the food she consumes. I think her weight has more to do with her energy level though!! We've had larger Brittanys for sure as I think Annie (our first one) was about 46 lbs. but built much like Layla. Pippa was really tiny when we first adopted her at barely 27 lbs. She's "put on a few" and weighs about 32 now although I think she could lose another pound or 2! Again, her build is rather slight and she's a little shorter (both height and length) compared to Layla. This is one of the few times I've been successful at getting them both in one picture :lol: :lol: The "bear freeze" helped!!!

gagesbarb
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by gagesbarb »

As I said...beautiful picture, including the background...if not Facebook, the ABR calendar!
All of our Britts have had a stockier build than I see in many others...relatively big chests
and just chunky, even when their weights are fine...JJ still needs to lose some weight, but is so much better...
my husband said he looked like a baby St. Bernard when he first arrived...

also interesting to me how both Gage and JJ had stiff (for lack of a better word) gaits when we first got them...
we walk a lot...not like the hikes it sounds like Cindy and Janet take, but still...as muscles tone, the gait looks
better...we always say that the dogs remind us how as we get older, we all need to keep moving...they are a
great incentive to move and JJ is a "treadmill" for me, at least for a mile or so... :lol:

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

we always say that the dogs remind us how as we get older, we all need to keep moving...they are a
great incentive to move and JJ is a "treadmill" for me, at least for a mile or so...
I would much rather be outdoors and walking/hiking/swimming with the dogs then doing any kind of indoor exercise. That's one of the reasons we have Brittanys and will always have at least a couple. I'd hate to think that we slowed down if the dogs started to!

AuntieMom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by AuntieMom »

My first thought was “smart dogs” too! I can see by their ears how interested they were but thank goodness they listened to you.

My second thought was “such beautiful girls!”

quote="gagesbarb"]All of our Britts have had a stockier build than I see in many others...relatively big chests and just chunky, even when their weights are fine.[/quote] Trapper is like that. He has such a deep chest. His weight hovers north of 45 pounds. Kallie and CharLee are more in the 35 pound range.
Trapper, CharLee & Kallie

gagesbarb
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by gagesbarb »

I wonder if the different builds are just variation within the breed, or if there are different "lines" of brittanys?

janet909
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by janet909 »

Yes great picture of your girls. Very smart too !!! It's always a scary thing when you cross paths with a bear. Glad it all turned out well !!!

AuntieMom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by AuntieMom »

gagesbarb wrote:I wonder if the different builds are just variation within the breed, or if there are different "lines" of brittanys?
This deserves its own topic. :D It seems that different breeders breed for different things. Our Scout (RIP) was a tall but slender Brittany, Trapper is classic deep chested Brittany, Kallie is on the smaller side but has that "show dog" look, and CharLee ... well, she is herself. :wink:
Trapper, CharLee & Kallie