Reintroducing myself

General Brittany Discussion

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Forum rules
Welcome to general discussion!

Did your Britt make you laugh today? Did he do something so smart, you are blown away? Those puppy teeth causing you to tear up, and you need an outlet? Or do you want to post a picture of his or her latest point? This is the place for it!
gagesbarb
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Re: Reintroducing myself

Post by gagesbarb »

Did he hunt other birds? like songbirds? or doves?
My dogs don't pay much attention to those...

AuntieMom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by AuntieMom »

gagesbarb wrote:Did he hunt other birds? like songbirds? or doves?
My dogs don't pay much attention to those...
Scout did not hunt other birds, just the upland game birds. Scout reluctantly retrieved a dove once and spat it at my husband like "do not make me do this again!"

We have a lot of doves and songbirds in our yard because I feed them all year around. But the feeder is away from our other Britts. Trapper makes them fly away if he is outside. It is a personal affront to have intruders in his space, even if he is not allowed there it is still his space. Kallie caught a dove once in her mouth. She released it and the bird flew off. CharLee cannot see birds but her instinct is there. She looks adorable out there pointing in the yard.
Trapper, CharLee & Kallie

Acole
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Post by Acole »

That's how Sammy is with birds...he could care less...lol we had him in a front harness, not the one you mentioned, but he still pulls way to hard. Roxy our other dog likes rabbits too...but now at 4 she just looks at them on a walk..now in the yard is fair game...she's brought us a few! And Sammy is welcome to the ones in the yard too...if he can catch them before they scoot out of the fence. Going to check out the harness that was mentioned.

gagesbarb
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by gagesbarb »

The freedom harness has a front ring for the leash and also a ring on the back...they make a special leash that has hooks at each end so in essence, you have two leashes...gives you even more control...
my dogs can still pull with the front hook harnesses, but for us, much less...each dog is different...
I think you told us, but I've forgotten...is your other dog a brittany? At 6 yrs and 9-10 yrs, ours are still as interested in rabbits as ever...

Acole
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Post by Acole »

Sammy is a Britt...1 year old. He pulls the entire walk unless he is on the gentle leader. We've only had him about three months now...he is becoming such a lover now..he just likes to cuddle up at times right next to you..and he has the most beautiful eyes...he is very spoiled little boy! You know they say they can have separation anxiety....well I am the one who has it..lol

janet909
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by janet909 »

Great idea !!!! My name is Janet and I live in Colorado with my two boys. The first picture is Beamer. He joined our family in July after being rescued by ABR. He turned 10 on Christmas day but you'd never know it as he has the energy of a 4 year old. He has been a little bit of a challenge but being the typical Britt, wants to please so we are working through things and he has been a great addition to our family. In this picture, he is wearing a GPS collar as we were training him to hunt and didn't want to lose him. It's big but he doesn't mind because he's too busy looking for birds. It's the greatest invention ever !!!!

Our second boy is Wesley and he was rescued 7 (?) years ago at the age of 1 1/2. He is now 8 1/2 and is our idea of the perfect dog. He is funny, naughty, obedient and smart. (Here he is hanging with us at our local brew pub where he loves getting popcorn treats and people watching.) He was extremely difficult to train but taught us a lot about how to train a wild Brittany. Now he runs free without an e-collar and always sticks close to us. Our hardest dog ever turned into our easiest dog ever.

I have fostered a few dogs but only for a few days at a time to bridge things between getting dogs where they need to be. Our lifestyle right now just doesn't allow it. Because of that, I volunteer for ABR in other ways, mostly doing computer work. I have 11 states that I continually watch and when a new ABR dog pops up, I place them on Petfinder to increase their exposure.

Acole
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Post by Acole »

Janet that is awesome! Being new to Brittany's I am learning so much. I do know that sometime in the future I would like to adopt another Britt. I thought Sammy was going to be a huge challenge especially coming straight from the shelter. And he was...for the first couple months...he had the shelter bark, scratching at the windows, screaming at the rabbits...jumping, nipping, scratching. My husband kept telling me to give him time to adjust. He was right...once he felt secure with us...he just became a perfect fit. He still has a couple bad habits..but he's still a puppy at only 1 yr. old. I would not part with him for anything. Sammy is forever in my heart...and everyone one else's heart too...even his sisters Roxy and Tanner!

Ron
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by Ron »

I don't post that much, My name is Ron, my wife name is . Debbie. We live in western NY , we have 4 fur kids, Molly Ann (l+w) 7years old. Chance(o+w) 7 years old, Max (l+w) 5 years old, and Chester , a mix (l+w) Brit and Lab? .

britlover
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by britlover »

I also do not post very often, but read often and have learned so much from this board.
I am Sue, aka "britlover", and I currently have a 11+ year old L/W male Piper adopted from ABR 9 years ago. Piper was the "cover boy" for the ABR calendar (2009). I also have an orange Roan boy Bryce, 7+ yrs old, adopted from ABR 5+ years ago. I foster fairly regularly for another rescue organization. I've had brittanys in my home for over 20 years, 3 adopted from ABR, and love this breed.

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

I just realized I never said who I was and I tend to post often on this board. :oops: I'm Cindy (and John is my husband). We live in VA in the Blue Ridge Mountains and have had 2 half Springer/half Brittanys (got as puppies). Then adopted our first ABR Brittany, Annie, about 25 years ago and we were totally hooked on the breed. After Annie we adopted Kayla (died last Fall), Jill (died several years ago from epilepsy that couldn't be controlled), and currently have Pippa and Layla from New England Brittany Rescue. We do home visits, transports, and short term fostering.
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla

Daniella
Puppy

Post by Daniella »

Hi - I have learned so much from this forum and would love to say I have wisdom to impart. I can only say that we have managed to raise the sweetest, naughtiest, smartest dog we know. Dallas is famous at the dog park for nabbing people's belongings and knows well that he can get away with murder because of his charm and good looks. His best behavior is running up and kissing us like a wriggling maniac out of the blue and for no apparent reason. He does love his tricks and treats and his periscope-esque counter-surveillance is unparalleled.
He is 2 1/2 and I don't know if he will ever calm down, but we've found an equilibrium that involves dawn and dusk exercise and rehearsed mischief of stealing things from drawers and tables and parading them around if we have failed to deliver sufficient attention. Wish we had a ranch where we could have three like some of you - the only time he is really pooped is after a day in doggie day-care with a dozen other sniffers. After growing up with springers, I'm definitely a convert to the Brittany - perhaps Stockholm syndrome, but he has my heart!

Trying to post some images of him with me and in camouflage sofa with his beagle friend.

ImageImage

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

Love those freckles!! No wonder he gets away with murder - he's adorable!
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla

Acole
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Post by Acole »

I love all these furbabys! I dont know what it is about Britts but Sammy just keeps getting cuter by the day...we feel so fortunate to have found him and he is a great companion for our Roxy. The two are besties! Roxy is the alpha but Sammy has such an easy going personality that he just rolls with whatever...lol..now if we could just break the "lets get up at 5:30 habit" we would be getting a lot more sleep!

Acole
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Post by Acole »

Progress! We slept in until 7am this morning!

Acole
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Post by Acole »

My other dog Roxy is a Korean Jindo mix...has the traits of a Jindo so she is the Alpha...we thought she was a retriever mix until she grew up...lol...so we did a doggy DNA on her...love her to pieces too...she and Sammy are besties...except she is the boss!