Moby Crossed the Rainbow Bridge

General Brittany Discussion

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Forum rules
Welcome to general discussion!

Did your Britt make you laugh today? Did he do something so smart, you are blown away? Those puppy teeth causing you to tear up, and you need an outlet? Or do you want to post a picture of his or her latest point? This is the place for it!
janet909
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Moby Crossed the Rainbow Bridge

Post by janet909 »

It has taken me awhile to post this because I have been a bit of an emotional wreck and couldn't read any comments without falling apart. I am sad to say that our beloved Moby died 2 weeks ago at the age of 14 years and 8 months old. He was the only Brittany that we've had since 8 weeks old and he was my DH's heart dog (a term I learned from Auntie Mom). He was the sweetest boy ever and the best hunter we've ever had. We never had to train him on recall and I believe this is because when he got him, we had a Blue Heeler who heeled him and kept him close to the pack. He learned that he needed to be near us at all times.

He developed Megaesophagus in May and it was a quick decline. This is a condition that some dogs are born with and some develop when older. At his age, it is a difficult condition to manage. The nerves stop innervating the esophagus so there is no motility. We were giving him liquid food but because a pouch develops, they get a sensation in their throat that is uncomfortable and so they don't like to eat. Frequently, this condition arises because there is cancer. He did have a strange spot on a chest x-ray in May but we never repeated it to see if it cleared up with antibiotics. He was vomiting frequently and lost his lust for life.

He will be so greatly missed. He is now resting nest to Sheppy in our garden. While we are sad, we are also a little relieved as the final month of caring for him was stressful and exhausting. He lived a great life. He backpacked extensively in Colorado, the Wind Rivers of Wyoming and the Sawtooths of Idaho. He traveled and camped in Mexico numerous times. He hunted every fall and was my trail running partner when we were both younger.

He is survived by his two Brittany brothers: Wesley 8 y/o and Beamer 10 y/o.

Here are a few pics of my beautiful Moby MooMoo.

MaggieRocks
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Re: Moby Crossed the Rainbow Bridge

Post by MaggieRocks »

Janet, I am so very sorry to hear about Moby. What beautiful photos-he has such an expressive face. You can just tell he enjoyed life!

gagesbarb
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by gagesbarb »

So sorry to hear about your loss...I know that it hurts so much!
We lost out Sam (brittany/beagle mix) to laryngeal paralysis and mega-esophagus...He was about 12 yrs...if it had just been the laryngeal paralysis, they could have done surgery, but with the mega-
esophagus, there was too much risk of aspiration...We had not heard of mega-esophagus before...now here it is again :cry:
The pictures are wonderful...brought me a smile and tears at the same time...as I've lurked here for several years, I've read about the wonderful lives your dogs have and how devoted you are to them...
Moby was very luck to have adopted you!

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

Oh Janet - so, so sorry to hear about Moby and I totally understand the emotional wreck part. We aren't that far removed when thinking about Kayla and we lost her in October. But there is a certain amount of relief when you've had a dog that required alot of TLC and attention. All of a sudden your life is less complicated but I know you'd give that up for a little more time with Moby. Not much any of us can say or do but know that my thoughts are with you guys.
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla

Acole
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Post by Acole »

I'm so sorry, sounds like he had a wonderful long life full of adventure and love.

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Post by Barb Wright »

Ah, very sad news. I wish there was some quick way to ease the pain, but only time will do that. You are lucky to have the other dogs to keep you centered, and surely there is another Britt in your future to help mend the hole in your heart. This is one of the hard parts about having dogs in our lives....but there isn't a one of us that wouldn't say "it's worth it". His was a wonderful, truly Brittany life with you, and I hope that helps you know that every thing was the best it could be for him. <<<HUGS>>>>
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13

AuntieMom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by AuntieMom »

If I were asked to sum Moby up in one word it would be “Gentleman.” He was so classy and elegant. I have laughed so many times when Janet would post pictures of her other dogs all dirty. Then there is Moby looking debonair like he is stepping off the cover of a high fashion magazine. Yet he was not just another pretty face - as Janet pointed out, he was the total package. Great personality, great hunter, great companion.

Janet, my condolences again to you and DH. Moby, good journey, sweet man.
Trapper, CharLee & Kallie

janet909
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by janet909 »

Thank you everyone for you kind thoughts and words. Auntie Mom's post made me laugh because she's heard from me so many times how my Moby just HATED being dirty. Here are a couple funny pics. The first two are Wes and Moby after the same 1 hour walk. Pig Boy and the Prince. This was sooooo typical. The third pic is Beamer and Moby on the beach in Mexico during a 1 month camping trip. We could never figure out how Moby, camping on a beach day after day, could stay so clean. He was royalty for sure !!!!

Dogmom
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Post by Dogmom »

Thank you for posting all the beautiful pics of your Moby. As I believe someone else said, they made me smile but brought tears to my eyes too, for the loss. The love you shared with Moby and your other dogs just shines through what you have written.

I am dreading the day when my little dog (not a Britt) really begins to decline. She will be 10 in December and we dog folk know how short the time is that we share with our furkids. So far, she is healthy and loving life and I cherish each day with her even as I know she is getting older.

Bless you all and the dogs you love.

Dogmom

Helen E.
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Post by Helen E. »

I'm so sorry to hear about Moby. :( He was a beautiful boy.

britlover
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by britlover »

So sorry to hear of Moby's crossing the bridge. I read this board more than I reply, and lately I'm struck by how long I've been reading these posts, measured by the dogs that have left us lately. I love your photos of Moby. I can say that your backpacking adventures inspired me to take my 2 brittanys along on my backpacking trips. Thank you for being such a blessing to these wonderful dogs, and for sharing your adventures and motivating us to follow your lead. Run free sweet Moby.
Piper, and Bryce

AuntieMom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by AuntieMom »

britlover wrote: I can say that your backpacking adventures inspired me to take my 2 brittanys along on my backpacking trips. Thank you for being such a blessing to these wonderful dogs, and for sharing your adventures and motivating us to follow your lead.
Wow, that was such a neat thing to say.

PS - Janet, I hope you find comfort in knowing what an inspiration you are!!! :D
Trapper, CharLee & Kallie

janet909
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by janet909 »

britlover wrote: I can say that your backpacking adventures inspired me to take my 2 brittanys along on my backpacking trips. Thank you for being such a blessing to these wonderful dogs, and for sharing your adventures and motivating us to follow your lead.
Awwww.......that was really nice to say. Thank you. Moby loved backpacking even into his later years when his brothers would carry his food and snacks because he could no longer carry his own gear. He still loved hiking and snoozing in the tent !!!

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

You always have the best pictures Janet! Love the 3 dogs snoozing in the tent.
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla