hate fireworks

General Brittany Discussion

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Forum rules
Welcome to general discussion!

Did your Britt make you laugh today? Did he do something so smart, you are blown away? Those puppy teeth causing you to tear up, and you need an outlet? Or do you want to post a picture of his or her latest point? This is the place for it!
gagesbarb
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

hate fireworks

Post by gagesbarb »

Just a rant--I used to like fireworks, but since I've had dogs as an adult, I hate them...fortunately, Gage doesn't care, and JJ seems OK (this is our first 4th of July with him), although last night (it is July 1, not July 4 :shock: ), when a full half hour of nonstop bangs started :evil: :evil: :evil: he came running in to me and stayed close...but, he could take treats...our poor Sam would hide out and shake at the first boom...I never realized how long the fireworks season was until Sam--around here, although they are illegal for individuals, it starts mid June and continues for a month. If it was only on the evening of the 4th, I'd say OK, but...
guess I'm just a party pooper...

janet909
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Re: hate fireworks

Post by janet909 »

I feel the same way. The 4th of July is now a celebration that lasts weeks. My docs do okay but there's a lot of non-stop barking that makes me crazy. I think there's probably a lot of party poopers on this discussion board !!

Acole
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Post by Acole »

It will be our first wil Sammy...will be interesting to see how he does.

gagesbarb
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by gagesbarb »

A suggestion for Sammy--be ready with lots of extra yummy treats to give him as soon as the booms start so fireworks becomes a signal for PARTY :lol:
even though JJ wasn't really scared, he certainly noticed the noise and having dealt with poor Sam during fireworks, I wanted to avoid a problem...

MaggieRocks
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by MaggieRocks »

Our Maggie hated fireworks, and got worse each year. I sometimes take my elderly mother out to see a fireworks display, but my husband would always stay home with the dogs, keeping them inside with him with the TV up loud! Funny-the only 2 things Maggie was afraid of was fireworks and thunder. If she heard gunshots, she would want to run TOWARD the sound, afraid she was missing out on something!

Emma isn't afraid of anything. She will even go out in a thunderstorm, and the loudest clap of thunder doesn't seem to bother her. Fireworks, either, but we always keep her inside if we hear them going off. (We're out in the country and there are no fireworks close, but there are always a few neighbors that shoot them off. Usually not even close enough for us to see, but we can hear them!)

Sammy is somewhere between Maggie & Emma when it comes to fireworks. He doesn't seem really scared, but he'll get just a little bit clingy. Kind of like he's saying, "I"m not afraid, but let's not take any chances here!" :lol:

Acole
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Post by Acole »

Will definitely do the treat thing...we made sure to be home tonight before dark just in case there were some early fireworks...so far he's good...in bed with dad...lol