oral flea and tick preventative

General Brittany Discussion

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Forum rules
Welcome to general discussion!

Did your Britt make you laugh today? Did he do something so smart, you are blown away? Those puppy teeth causing you to tear up, and you need an outlet? Or do you want to post a picture of his or her latest point? This is the place for it!
gagesbarb
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

oral flea and tick preventative

Post by gagesbarb »

Do any of you use any of the oral flea and tick preventatives? We use front line plus and it has always worked ok...given our dogs' weights, they have been at the top end of the dosage range, and that makes me feel a little better about putting that stuff on them...I don't like to do it, but I dislike fleas and ticks more and we do a fair amount of hiking...but given JJ's weight, we had to go to the next dosage level up...he has lost weight (yeah) and so is now at the lower end of the range...this last time, his fur stayed oily for several days and some fur fell out :( so, I am toying with not putting the whole dose on him next time, or using the lower level dosage...I also wonder about the oral kind...nexguard has smaller ranges in the dosage levels, so more tailored to the dogs weight...thoughts? (I will talk with my vet, but I also value the experiences of people here :D)

Acole
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Re: oral flea and tick preventative

Post by Acole »

One good thing about the high desert...we don't have fleas or ticks in our area! So no help from me.

AuntieMom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by AuntieMom »

We use topical so no help from me either.
Trapper, CharLee & Kallie

dmedric
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by dmedric »

We've been using Nexgard for about a year now for our Brittany and Beagle mix. No problems that I have seen (and the dogs like the "treat"). I think it is a bit more expensive though.

gagesbarb
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by gagesbarb »

thanks for the info...I value "real" people's experience!

Tigerrr
Puppy

Post by Tigerrr »

It all depends on where do you live and on your pet's weight, so the vet's opinion is necessary here for sure.
You're right that it's expensive stuff, even pestcontrolhacks admits it. I've been giving Nexguard for 6 months on one of my dogs (German shepherd) and can tell the same. Apparently, it worked fine, I started using it after some heavy flea infestation and you surely don't want such thing to happen again. But, as I said before, I stopped because of money and my doggo has only Seresto collar now.
A black cat crossing your path signifies that the animal is going somewhere.