Skunked ..

General Brittany Discussion

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Forum rules
Welcome to general discussion!

Did your Britt make you laugh today? Did he do something so smart, you are blown away? Those puppy teeth causing you to tear up, and you need an outlet? Or do you want to post a picture of his or her latest point? This is the place for it!
Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Skunked ..

Post by Dave »

Levi discovered a skunk this morning on his walk :roll: Of course we've been bathing him using tomato juice and every shampoo we've got . I've been lucky so far , he's the first dog I've had that got blasted up close . Leave it to Levi , Mr. curious George . :lol: Any other good ideas to help rid him of the stink ? To top it off I have to go to work and leave him in the house crated since it's going to be near 100 degrees today . I can't put him outside :( Dave

Lisa

Post by Lisa »

From what I understand, this solution works best to remove the skunk smell. I've never had to try it myself, though.

Removing Skunk Smell From Your Dog
If your dog has an encounter with a skunk, this solution should take care of the problem...

1 quart 3% hydrogen peroxide
1/4 cup baking soda
1 teaspoon liquid soap, orginal Dawn works best
A large bowl or bucket to mix in

Mix well, it will fizz when you mix ingredients together, and bathe pet in this solution. You need to really soak him and work the solution into his fur. Pay special attention to keep it out of your dog's eyes. These ingredients all have acidic properties and can cause painful eye irritation. If your dog's eyes are red and swollen, he may have been sprayed directly in the face, please contact your veterinarian about what you can safely put into his eye to help alleviate pain. You may want to use a washcloth, toothbrush, or a sponge on his face. Rinse well with clear water. This mix has no shelf life so it cannot be stored. This solution does work, however, you may need to use several applications for the smell to go completely away.
Image Image RIP Madi
Charm-future agility champ
Britty- RIP March 27, 2014
Buster-CGC, OA, OF, NAJ, APK, APJ, APG, APR, PD

Karen_P
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Karen_P »

Dave, I got this recipe off a Brittany hunting board I belong to. This will bleach his coat a little bit, but I've been told it really REALLY will get rid of the smell.

1. Mix 4 c. hydrogen peroxide with 4 tbsp. baking soda and 1 tsp. dish-washing soap.

2. Put cotton balls in your pet's ears to protect the inner-ear tissue from the cleaning mixture, which could easily drip in.

3. Don rubber gloves to protect your hands during this process.

4. Start with your pet's head, taking care not to get the solution into his eyes, ears or mouth. Apply a drop of olive or mineral oil to his eyes to prevent irritation.

5. Rub the mixture evenly into your pet's coat. It will probably be more pleasant to do this outdoors.

6. Rinse the coat with clean water.

7. Repeat if the smell persists.

Good luck
Home of DC Britt Haven's Blaze of Glory
http://www.woodlandbrittanys.com

Dakota
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

skunked

Post by Dakota »

Dave - Karen is right this remedy works wonderful although it will lighten his coat. Mine have gotten sprayed several times!!!!
Image[/URL]

DonnaP
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Post by DonnaP »

Love those black and white kitties :lol: We STILL are trying to educate George on them! It only took Bentley one time to get skunked before he learned his lesson - he just barks at them now.

One good item to have on hand is MASSENGIL DOUCHE - Vinegar. Believe it or not it works fairly well. Got that trick from a groomer

The home-brew solutions work really well

I keep on hand a shampoo that I buy from PetEdge.com - It is called SOS - Skunk Ordor Shampoo. Unbelieveable. It is Hypoallergenic, too, and is great for all smells :P Their coat is really beautiful, too

Better invest in some Fabreeze for the house smells........
Proud mom of George (adopted thru ABR in April 2003) and Bentley (adopted thru New England English Springer Rescue in March 1999, RIP 7-23-2009 - my forever boyfriend and protector who started it all)

Jacksbuddy
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Jacksbuddy »

Jack got sprayed by a skunk one time, I just went to the pet supply store and bought some deodorizing shampoo made by Cardinal that did the trick. In fact I still have half a bottle left.

"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog."
- Edward Hoagland

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

I've used "Skunk Out" available at our local pet supply place. Works pretty well and I always have it on hand.
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla

Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Dave »

Can you just picture this ... A middle aged bearded man walking up to the counter at the store carrying a basket full of Douche :roll: :lol: Maybe in California , not in Montana :wink: :lol: Sounds like a Jeff Foxworthy skit .
Thanks for the info . A co-worker told me Rasberry Douche although he may have been kidding about the rasberry part :roll: :lol: Dave

Brenda Dom
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Post by Brenda Dom »

Dave wrote:Can you just picture this ... A middle aged bearded man walking up to the counter at the store carrying a basket full of Douche :roll: :lol: Maybe in California , not in Montana :wink: :lol: Sounds like a Jeff Foxworthy skit .
Thanks for the info . A co-worker told me Rasberry Douche although he may have been kidding about the rasberry part :roll: :lol: Dave
Just carry a list with you, like your wife made you do it, lol. Between my daughter and me, my husband has run some pretty strange errands :wink:

Brenda
Kelcy, Susie, Bodie and Max
"Some of us learn forgiveness by studying the lives of saints. And some of us keep dogs. . . ." - Charles Gusewelle

Karen_P
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Karen_P »

Dave, how'd you make out with deskunking Levi? What formula did you use? Just curious what works best in these situations.

I know they do snake avoidance clinics down south. Sounds like they should offer skunk avoidance clinics in the north!
Home of DC Britt Haven's Blaze of Glory
http://www.woodlandbrittanys.com

Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Dave »

My groomer used your formula and it worked well :D His head still smells , as he probably got a snout full :roll: He might not scent birds well for awhile :o Thanks for the advice everyone . He is throwing up now , but I'm not too worried . He was licking and licking and I'm sure the skunk oil and remedy didn't settle well :P Dave

plkoslov
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Skunked

Post by plkoslov »

I can vouch for the vinegar douche - it worked great on one of my girls who got blasted right in the face. But, yes, it was quite embarrassing to walk up to the check-out stand with four boxes of the stuff... Of course I had to tell EVERYONE around me that my dog got skunked! :oops: