Mourning Our Beautiful Rusty

General Brittany Discussion

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Forum rules
Welcome to general discussion!

Did your Britt make you laugh today? Did he do something so smart, you are blown away? Those puppy teeth causing you to tear up, and you need an outlet? Or do you want to post a picture of his or her latest point? This is the place for it!
Michaels Family
Puppy

Mourning Our Beautiful Rusty

Post by Michaels Family »

Our Adoptee Sadie has lost her very best buddie and we have lost a member of our family. Our male Brittany Rusty was killed yesterday in a terrible accident. We left our dogs in our sons care to escape for a weekend. The wind was blowing fiercely and blew a gate in the yard open. The boys had let them out to go potty and they went out exploring. They were out searching for them when the call came on my cell phone. Rusty was struck and mortally wounded by a vehicle. Sadie was wimpering at his side trying to get him to stand up. They had to put him down before we could get home to him. He was our first brittany and we had rescued him five years ago. We are completely devasted and very worried about the effect this will have on Sadie. They were inseparable. When separated they would howl for each other. He gave her a bath every morning and cleaned her face and ears spotless. They slept together on the same bed although there were two. He was the most intelligent and obedient dog we've ever owned. Our 17 year old son was with him when they put him down and he is devastated. Our family will not be the same without him. :cry: [/img]

Allison
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by Allison »

I am so very sorry for you loss.

:(

Allison

Jeanne
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Post by Jeanne »

How absolutely awful. My heart is broken for you and your family. Just try to remember that Rusty will live forever in your hearts.
Jeanne

Jacksbuddy
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Jacksbuddy »

Very sorry to hear of your loss. My Rusty was struck by a vehicle over four years ago. I spent a long time blaming myself, that I should have done more to keep him in control, but sometimes things happen that you just cannot control.

"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog."
- Edward Hoagland

Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Dave »

Words can't justify the emotion of losing a fur friend . It hurts just like losing a member of your family , as they are just that . My condolences for your loss . Dave

Bernie's mom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Bernie's mom »

I am so very sorry for your loss, and I truly understand the grief you are going through at this time. Our little boy Andy was only 4 months old and he loved to run, but that love of running took him from us.
May time ease your pain, and the wonderful memories will soon overcome the heartbreak.
Bernie 11/30/03-12/12/15

Michaels Family
Puppy

Post by Michaels Family »

Only Brittany owners can understand how great your loss of a Brittany companion can be. Thank you all for your tender hearted responses regarding Rusty. Here is a picture of him for you to enjoy. He had a human personality, he was just trapped in a dogs body. Please forward any insights you may have in helping Sadie adjust to her loss. She is grieving badly.

The Michaels Family

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

When our dog Jessie lost her littermate and brother (at age 6) she was VERY sad. Clung to us all the time, seemed very depressed, and didn't want to let us out of her sight. Going to work each day was just terrible because she would try to jump in the car and go with us. She just didn't think our cats or horses were "family." After about a month of this behavior we couldn't stand it any more. Even though we didn't want another dog at the time, we decided Jessie had to have one. That's when we got our first rescued Brittany (Annie) and haven't looked back since. Even though Jessie and Annie never had the same kind of relationship as she did with her brother, they were great friends and it turned everyone's loss around more quickly than we otherwise would have expected. We've always said ... there's nothing like a dog, especially when it comes to having company for another dog.

I am so very sorry about your Rusty and many of us know exactly what you're going through. Give Sadie all kinds of attention and I'm sure she will be comfoted by that. And who knows, maybe another dog is in your future at some point. I know how that eases the pain and gives you something else to think about. It's just never an easy thing to go through ... for any one. Hang in there.
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla

Mike S.
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by Mike S. »

Gezz - we are so sorry.

What a beautiful guy...
Josh (rescued Oct 07), Rosie (rescued Nov 03), and Haley (rescued Oct 07)

kat
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by kat »

Oh, I am so sorry for you and your family, I know how it hurts. When we lost our old girl a few months ago, so many kinds thoughts were sent our way from the wonderful people here. One thing Barb said was especially meaningful:

"As long as she is in your memories she is not really gone....and will be there beside you on silent paws, forever."

You, your family, especially your son, and Sadie will be in my prayers today.

Kat
My mom is a Kat - How cool is that?

harleygrl1219
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by harleygrl1219 »

I am new to this but I wanted to say how sorry I am for your loss. I know how painful it is. We had lost our Britt of 12 years in October. Nine months later we are still feeling terrible. As you all know, Britts love to run and in October mine got loose. We looked for hours for him and we got a call the next morning saying that he had drowned in a neighbors pool. Our hearts are still breaking and the guilt hasn't gone away. If only people would learn to keep their fences closed on their pools!!!! :cry: :cry:

Gaffney Girl
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Post by Gaffney Girl »

I am so sorry for your loss. Take your cues from Sadie as to what is best for her right now. I am always marveling at how much Brits are like furry people so I think that is why we feel their loss so much more.
Please know that you are in our thoughts right now. My Jenny sends you a nose nudge and wuffle to keep you going....

youjach
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Post by youjach »

how very sad-- I am sorry for your loss..

Greg Z
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Post by Greg Z »

I'm sorry for your loss. I lost my buddy Misty awhile back and couldn't belive how nice the people on this site are. Hang in there, it takes time to get over the bad feelings. GZ
GZ

Carol
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Post by Carol »

:cry: :cry: :cry: